Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:10 AM   #51
Mord
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoknows87 View Post
I hope this is challenged somehow , we are stooping low, so we fight for women rights, voting rights etc...... and now we fight for people to get high
thats a fight not worth fighting for..
You're really missing the point of this, it's not for people to get high, they already do. It's to stop imprisoning people for making that personal choice, and to stop funnelling vast amounts of cash towards criminal organisations.
Mord is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:19 AM   #52
iBlue
macrumors Core

Quote:
I hope this is challenged somehow , we are stooping low, so we fight for women rights, voting rights etc...... and now we fight for people to get high
Do you know how I define "stooping low"? Criminalising possessing or smoking a plant that has fewer negatives than positives in adults that are minding their own business. Maybe you don't value personal freedoms enough to fight for them but I do.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:08 AM   #53
Happybunny
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob81 View Post
In the midst of the election, Colorado becomes the first state to legalize weed.

Thoughts?

Well I don't see what the fuss is all about?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:32 AM   #54
SprSynJn

Quote:
It won't be challenged, because this is the direction America is heading. Yesterday gave me a good reminder of why I left the States several years go.
SprSynJn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:13 PM   #55
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Ice View Post
America is already dealing with obesity and laziness. This just adds to it. (Not saying ALL POT smokers are fat and lazy) Passing a proposition like this is not good for the state of Colorado and Washington. DUI will sky rocket and sadly, so will death caused by car accidents. The right to smoke Marijuana will get abused by irresponsible idiots.
I like how you know what is good for the state I live in. Carry on
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:18 PM   #56
robanga
macrumors 68000

Interestingly a similar measure was voted down here in Oregon, which would have made the highly restrictive medical use legality into a very broad availability to cultivate etc. Oregon is certainly more liberal than Colorado.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:50 PM   #57
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Cheetos only barely classify as a food. On the other hand, Goldfish are pretty good.
Cheetos rock! Love those bad boys. Hate the stain they leave on your fingers though.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:13 PM   #58
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Ice View Post
America is already dealing with obesity and laziness. This just adds to it. (Not saying ALL POT smokers are fat and lazy) Passing a proposition like this is not good for the state of Colorado and Washington. DUI will sky rocket and sadly, so will death caused by car accidents. The right to smoke Marijuana will get abused by irresponsible idiots.
People already smoke weed. Find me one instance where someone was killed as a direct result of marijuana.

This isn't about the "right to smoke marijuana" per se, it's about the right for people to the freedom to do what they want with their body. We're supposed to be a "free" country, so if I want to sit on my couch, smoke pot, and eat a box full of donuts, I should be able to do so without fear of getting arrested. It's my choice.
zioxide is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:13 PM   #59
whoknows87
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlue View Post
Do you know how I define "stooping low"? Criminalising possessing or smoking a plant that has fewer negatives than positives in adults that are minding their own business. Maybe you don't value personal freedoms enough to fight for them but I do.
I don't want people driving while they are high, raising kids while they are high
which they do anyway, but I didn't expect laws to protect such things,how are they going to enforce such things? if you can assure me that those who plan on getting high will stay home and so then fine, the problem is this will have serious consequences , you give people a little room they will abuse it
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:17 PM   #60
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Cheetos rock! Love those bad boys. Hate the stain they leave on your fingers though.
They're deep fried sticks of crunchy grease sprinkled with cheese dust! That's gross, man. Gross as hell. :P

The only Cheetos I'll willingly eat are the baked variety. They're...tolerable.

----------

Quote:
I don't want people driving while they are high...
Given a choice, I'd much rather risk facing high drivers than drunk ones. They're usually puttering along at 15 miles per hour, and still have enough presence of mind to keep their car between the curb and the dividing line.
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:17 PM   #61
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
I don't want people driving while they are high, raising kids while they are high
which they do anyway, but I didn't expect laws to protect such things,how are they going to enforce such things? if you can assure me that those who plan on getting high will stay home and so then fine, the problem is this will have serious consequences , you give people a little room they will abuse it
People already do all of these things now. How come we don't see new stories on the news every day about people being killed as a result of weed like we do with drinking and driving?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:33 PM   #62
Surely

Quote:
And what do you have to say to the people who use it for medicinal purposes? That need it to relieve pain, anxiety, or nausea so that they can function properly throughout the day? You'd be surprised at how functional you can be if you use the right amount.

That being said, I'm not condoning driving under the influence of anything. But like others have said, stoned (from pot) drivers tend to drive slower and more cautiously, not faster and uncontrollably.

If booze is legal, pot should be legal. Especially since it's less harmful than booze. Most people are smart enough to know not to drink and drive- I think that would carry over to marijuana use as well.
Surely is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:41 PM   #63
leenak
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Well there are DUI laws, I can be many things. Also, people neglect children nowdays and there are laws to protect against that.

The fact is that marijuana is relatively harmless (although smelly), probably a lot less so than alcohol and we spend a lot of money trying to criminalize it.
leenak is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:55 PM   #64
Dagless
macrumors Core

I wish I knew these upstanding marijuana users, and not the bad ones that live around here.
Dagless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:07 PM   #65
Surely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
I wish I knew these upstanding marijuana users, and not the bad ones that live around here.
I bet you do know some. We just don't go around advertising it and flaunting it in public. If you looked at me, you'd never know. I'm a clean-cut, responsible, ambitious, hard-working, highly educated family man. Many of my friends don't know, and no one in my family knows (except my wife, of course). It's not that I'm actively trying to hide it, I just don't see the point of telling anyone.

Allegedly.
Surely is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:15 PM   #66
Rt&Dzine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post
And what do you have to say to the people who use it for medicinal purposes? That need it to relieve pain, anxiety, or nausea so that they can function properly throughout the day? You'd be surprised at how functional you can be if you use the right amount.

That being said, I'm not condoning driving under the influence of anything. But like others have said, stoned (from pot) drivers tend to drive slower and more cautiously, not faster and uncontrollably.

If booze is legal, pot should be legal. Especially since it's less harmful than booze. Most people are smart enough to know not to drink and drive- I think that would carry over to marijuana use as well.
To those who are concerned about smoking and driving . . . do you want alcohol to be illegal?

I'm against drunk driving but think that alcohol should remain legal.
Rt&Dzine is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:17 PM   #67
Don't panic
macrumors 68040

to me pot=alcohol in terms of how they affect people using it and =cigarettes in terms of how they (directly) affect others around.

combine the laws regulating alcohol and tobacco and there you have a reasonable and consistent system.
maybe i would add no smoking in the presence of small children in any circumstance
Don't panic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:25 PM   #68
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
I bet you do know some. We just don't go around advertising it and flaunting it in public. If you looked at me, you'd never know. I'm a clean-cut, responsible, ambitious, hard-working, highly educated family man. Many of my friends don't know, and no one in my family knows (except my wife, of course). It's not that I'm actively trying to hide it, I just don't see the point of telling anyone.

Allegedly.
Same here, though I'm not married yet.

The public's perception of negativity surrounding marijuana is the reason you don't see the "upstanding" marijuana users. They are most definitely there, but they don't advertise it because they don't want to risk persecution or prosecution because of something they do in their free time that doesn't affect anyone but themselves.

Someone who wants to sit back at night, relax, smoke a little and watch a movie is no different than someone sitting down to relax with a glass of wine.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:30 PM   #69
Surely

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
Same here, though I'm not married yet.

The public's perception of negativity surrounding marijuana is the reason you don't see the "upstanding" marijuana users. They are most definitely there, but they don't advertise it because they don't want to risk persecution or prosecution because of something they do in their free time that doesn't affect anyone but themselves.

Someone who wants to sit back at night, relax, smoke a little and watch a movie is no different than someone sitting down to relax with a glass of wine.
Good post, especially the part I bolded.

Now if only you partook prior to making your angry posts in the NHL thread.....
Surely is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:35 PM   #70
Rt&Dzine
macrumors 6502a

One more driving consequence to be considered is that minimum speed limits will need to be enforced to catch the offenders.
Rt&Dzine is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:46 PM   #71
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Good post, especially the part I bolded.

Now if only you partook prior to making your angry posts in the NHL thread.....
I probably did but when there is hockey involved, there is usually whiskey involved too, so...
zioxide is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:51 PM   #72
bobfitz14
macrumors 65816

I just think it's funny how I'm 20 and I have an easier time getting weed than I do alcohol. Obviously I'm a unique example, but that doesn't devalue my view at all. There are so many things that just don't make sense with our political system, and CO and WA are absolutely making a step in the right direction.

If alcohol and tobacco are legal, weed should be too.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:26 PM   #73
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
They're deep fried sticks of crunchy grease sprinkled with cheese dust! That's gross, man. Gross as hell. :P

The only Cheetos I'll willingly eat are the baked variety. They're...tolerable.
LOL... Love em!!! Great snack. At least for me it is!
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:00 PM   #74
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't panic View Post
to me pot=alcohol in terms of how they affect people using it and =cigarettes in terms of how they (directly) affect others around.

combine the laws regulating alcohol and tobacco and there you have a reasonable and consistent system.
maybe i would add no smoking in the presence of small children in any circumstance
the effects of marijuana are much, much different than the effects of alcohol.

I don't think you'll find anyone who disagrees with you about keeping it away from children though. That should be common sense.
zioxide is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:36 PM   #75
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Given a choice, I'd much rather risk facing high drivers than drunk ones. They're usually puttering along at 15 miles per hour, and still have enough presence of mind to keep their car between the curb and the dividing line.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rt&Dzine View Post
To those who are concerned about smoking and driving . . . do you want alcohol to be illegal?

I'm against drunk driving but think that alcohol should remain legal.
And if so, why not weed?

Surely it's less of a intoxicant than alcohol!!!!
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues