Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:04 PM   #101
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Family Research Council, lulz. There's nothing family or research about that hate group.
I guess we define hate groups differently, but they do have published statistics, so you don't have to take them at their word.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mord View Post
I'm curious what you think amendment 64 has to do with this rare scenario?

Really, spell it out, and if you think making it legal will significantly increase use prove it, with evidence.
Sorry Mord. I just saw your post. I did end up giving some statistics that show this.

http://www.sarnia.com/groups/antidru...ent/myths.html

A snip it "....Decriminalizing marijuana in Alaska and Oregon in the 1970s resulted in the doubling of use.."
tshrimp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:11 PM   #102
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrimp View Post
I guess we define hate groups differently, but they do have published statistics, so you don't have to take them at their word.
I define a hate group as on ethat tries to deny or limit thwe rights of others.

Quote:
Sorry Mord. I just saw your post. I did end up giving some statistics that show this.

A snip it "....Decriminalizing marijuana in Alaska and Oregon in the 1970s resulted in the doubling of use.."
What a crock. Do you really believe there are millions who would do drugs if only they were legal? Come on.
rdowns is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:13 PM   #103
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Quote:
I am amazed at the moral direction our country is heading.
Get used to it, it's going to keep heading this way. I for one am VERY happy about it. To me, the legalization of gay marriage, marijuana and abortion (many years ago) demonstrates the strengthening of our moral fiber as a country. What you see as bad, we see as good. But I'm glad you acknowledge that the conservatives have lost the battle of ideology in this country.
likemyorbs is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:15 PM   #104
Surely

Quote:
They have zero credibility. They have an agenda, and anything they publish reeks of bias. And yes, they are a hate group.

Quote:

Wait.....something is easier to get, and there are fewer legal consequences for having it, so more people use it? No way! A study is totally needed to show that.

Look.....obviously there will be people who abuse it and there will be people who will make stupid decisions while stoned. However, it isn't the government's job to parent or babysit adults who are capable of making their own decisions. There is no reason a harmless drug like marijuana should be illegal while a harmful drug like alcohol is legal. If our society is responsible enough to handle the freedom of drinking alcohol, then our society is responsible enough to handle the freedom of enjoying marijuana as well.

The war on drugs has been a very expensive failure. It's time for the government to put a little more trust in the people.
Surely is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:20 PM   #105
Wild-Bill
macrumors 68020

Classifying marihuana as a Schedule-1 is laughable. It was Nixon's way of trying to keep a lid on a societal revolution. Legalizing and taxing it would bring untold revenue to states who adopt it. And the way the economy has been, this would bring welcome relief.

How many people die from drunk driving accidents? How many people die from driving while high?? NO ONE wants to drive when they are high. How many bar fights are due to two high people arguing ?

Those out there who still beat the drum for keeping it illegal are woefully uninformed, biased, living in the past, or a combination of all three.

It should be LEGAL. Period.
Wild-Bill is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:21 PM   #106
leenak
macrumors 65816

Quote:
There are many misconceptions on legalizing drugs.

A snip it "....California decriminalized marijuana in 1976, and, within the first six months, arrests for driving under the influence of drugs rose 46 percent for adults and 71.4 percent for juveniles...."
Despite looking at their references, I can't find data to back up their figure. What I do find is their reference is a newsletter from an anti-drug organization. That is fine but a newsletter is hardly a reference.

What I did find is interesting is that it wasn't until the mid/late 70s that DUIs were heavily enforced in California. Organizations (focusing on drunk driving specifically) brought the issue to light and then DUIs were looked at critically. It is certainly possibly that the number of DUIs went up in California in 1976, that doesn't necessarily mean there were more stoned drivers on the road. Either way, our views in the last 35-40 years have changed dramatically about drunk driving. It used to be much, much more commonplace.
leenak is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:26 PM   #107
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post

....There is no reason a harmless drug like marijuana should be illegal while a harmful drug like alcohol is legal. If our society is responsible enough to handle the freedom of drinking alcohol, then our society is responsible enough to handle the freedom of enjoying marijuana as well.

.. .
Thanks for your response, but Marijuana is not "harmless", and when you think back on the things you have done while drinking, do you really think that we have handled our freedom of drinking alcohol well?

I would post some more links, but it can be from the surgeon general, and I would be told it was a hate group and biased, so I won't bother.
tshrimp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:28 PM   #108
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Thanks for your response, but Marijuana is not "harmless", and when you think back on the things you have done while drinking, do you really think that we have handled our freedom of drinking alcohol well?

I would post some more links, but it can be from the surgeon general, and I would be told it was a hate group and biased, so I won't bother.
Why do you feel the need to control everyone else's lives?
zioxide is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:28 PM   #109
Surely

Quote:
For the most part, yes.

There are plenty of freedoms that we have that are abused by a small percentage of people. Maybe you should build yourself a bunker and protect yourself from everything.

Marijuana is mostly harmless, and is even being used by medical doctors to treat various illnesses. And it's wayyyyyy less harmful than alcohol, which is perfectly legal.
Surely is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:38 PM   #110
Orange Crane
macrumors 6502

I am incredibly happy about the changing attitude regarding cannabis and its use in the USA. Last weekend I would have said I don't know if I will ever see the legalization of cannabis in my life (real, open, true legalization as opposed to the "but the Feds are still gonna get you!" situation now). After this week I feel that there is a strong chance of it. Spirits have been high in Seattle this week.
Orange Crane is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:23 PM   #111
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
No. Just personal experiences.
Okay. That didn't answer my question on alcohol though. Do you believe that is a moral issue? Do you believe that we should go back to prohibition?
MadeTheSwitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:16 PM   #112
Illuminated
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Illuminated
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...806,b=facebook

Quote:
During the Prohibition Era (1920 - 1933) when alcohol was illegal, the price of the banned substance increased substantially, according to the Economic History Association. Despite the uptick on price, Americans were hardly deterred from drinking as U.S. consumption of alcohol hardly declined. Today, many regard the "noble experiment" as a complete failure. Prohibition not only removed a significant source of tax revenue, but it increased government spending and led many drinkers to switch to more dangerous substances like cocaine, the Cato Institute Policy Analysis reports.
Prohibition didn't work back then, and it isn't working now.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:19 PM   #113
bobfitz14
macrumors 65816

People need to realize that the concept of keeping your mouth shut about things you don't know anything about is universal.

If you don't know anything about marijuana other than it's a green plant and has a strong smell to it....you do not have a valid opinion on this topic. End of story.

Having personal experiences of weed "destroying" families is legitimate. As is having experiences of prescription pills and/or alcohol ruin family relationships. I'm not sure where anti-drug voters get their idea that we stoners think weed is "harmless" because it certainly is not and anyone who believes it to be harmless is ignorant. That being said, smoking weed is not going to kill you unless you are very, very stupid. What about alcohol? A lot of intelligent people have fallen victim to its negative effects yet we can still tax it and buy it in a legitimate store.

How marijuana legislation makes sense to ANY American politician is beyond me. In this day and age of always have access to loads of information, the law needs to adjust with our changing culture.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:39 PM   #114
TedM
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Family Research Council, lulz. There's nothing family or research about that hate group.
I don't know if you can take these "myths" that barely explain or site sources and call it fact. Pretty sure facts aren't poorly researched propaganda.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:06 PM   #115
Mord
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenak View Post
Despite looking at their references, I can't find data to back up their figure. What I do find is their reference is a newsletter from an anti-drug organization. That is fine but a newsletter is hardly a reference.

What I did find is interesting is that it wasn't until the mid/late 70s that DUIs were heavily enforced in California. Organizations (focusing on drunk driving specifically) brought the issue to light and then DUIs were looked at critically. It is certainly possibly that the number of DUIs went up in California in 1976, that doesn't necessarily mean there were more stoned drivers on the road. Either way, our views in the last 35-40 years have changed dramatically about drunk driving. It used to be much, much more commonplace.
Leenak pretty much sums it up better than I would here, that's a very suspect source and carries no weight as far as I'm concerned.
Mord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:30 PM   #116
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminated View Post
Prohibition didn't work back then, and it isn't working now.
Actually, organized crime has historically LOVED prohibition, of all kinds.

Who knows, they may even have lobbyists in Washington, working to maintain the status quo.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:33 PM   #117
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post
Actually, organized crime has historically LOVED prohibition, of all kinds.

Who knows, they may even have lobbyists in Washington, working to maintain the status quo.
They do in Oregon . That's for sure.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:57 AM   #118
IBradMac
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to IBradMac
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
I am not sure what pot has to do with the morals of the country. I hope you find tobacco just as immoral.
I was unaware you could get high smoking cigarettes. *rushes out to get a pack..
IBradMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:01 PM   #119
wrkactjob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoknows87 View Post
I don't want people driving while they are high
Evidence that driving post spliff needn't necessarily be as dopey as you might think.

Bud Good Big
wrkactjob is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:16 PM   #120
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoknows87 View Post
I don't want people driving while they are high, raising kids while they are high
which they do anyway, but I didn't expect laws to protect such things,how are they going to enforce such things? if you can assure me that those who plan on getting high will stay home and so then fine, the problem is this will have serious consequences , you give people a little room they will abuse it
I don't want people driving while they're drunk.

Enough said. Drinking and driving kills thousands every year.

Same can not be said about someone smoking a joint and driving. I've done it many times over the past 30 years and have never been in an accident.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:17 PM   #121
(marc)
macrumors 6502a

Glad to see this change in the US! Here in Europe, weed is still illegal in most places and it's not going to change anytime soon.
(marc) is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:51 PM   #122
wrkactjob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by (marc) View Post
Glad to see this change in the US! Here in Europe, weed is still illegal in most places and it's not going to change anytime soon.
The law in many countries certainly represents a Grey Area
wrkactjob is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:52 PM   #123
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I don't want people driving while they're drunk.

Enough said. Drinking and driving kills thousands every year.

Same can not be said about someone smoking a joint and driving. I've done it many times over the past 30 years and have never been in an accident.
I can drive and talk on a cell phone with no problem either, that doesn't mean everyone can do it safely. If pot makes you sleepy and mellow not sure I want someone behind the wheel of a car.
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:03 PM   #124
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
I can drive and talk on a cell phone with no problem either, that doesn't mean everyone can do it safely. If pot makes you sleepy and mellow not sure I want someone behind the wheel of a car.
There's WAAAY more people driving around sleepy and mellow from lack of sleep than there are from smoking pot.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:04 PM   #125
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
There's WAAAY more people driving around sleepy and mellow from lack of sleep than there are from smoking pot.
I don't think people should be smoking anything while driving, I have seen people veer off the road lighting a cigarette.
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues