Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:39 AM   #1
lifeislikeme
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
WiFi from Single Device to iPhone. No Web. Real WiFi?

Hey, guys. Yesterday i came across an iPhone-controlled Spying tank online. According to their video instruction, it seems that the tank is able to make a WiFi hotspot, which can be detected by iPhone. When you access to the hotspot, your iPhone is connected to the tank. Then you enter an i-Spy toys App to remote control the tank and take photos (http://bit.ly/PD1Fsg). I wonder if that was real WiFi or something else. What's the difference between that "WiFi" and the WiFi made by wireless router? Waiting for a simple question, cause i'm not some geek.
lifeislikeme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:28 AM   #2
DefBref
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Wifi is merely a way of connecting to a network without wires. It doesn't have to involve a connection to the web.

So yes this is 'real' wifi. The tank is creating a wifi network the iphone can join.
DefBref is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:48 AM   #3
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeislikeme View Post
I wonder if that was real WiFi or something else. What's the difference between that "WiFi" and the WiFi made by wireless router? Waiting for a simple question, cause i'm not some geek.
No difference. WiFi is WiFi. Not having a router in the mix doesn't make it "fake WiFi". A router (wired, wireless or both) is required for connecting two networks together. Some WiFi devices can connect in ad-hoc mode without an access point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefBref View Post
Wifi is merely a way of connecting to a network without wires. It doesn't have to involve a connection to the web.
^ This. Web access is a frequent use for WiFi but does not define WiFi. If in doubt, Google it and read up.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:32 AM   #4
Bobby.e
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeislikeme View Post
Hey, guys. Yesterday i came across an iPhone-controlled Spying tank online. According to their video instruction, it seems that the tank is able to make a WiFi hotspot, which can be detected by iPhone. When you access to the hotspot, your iPhone is connected to the tank. Then you enter an i-Spy toys App to remote control the tank and take photos (http://bit.ly/PD1Fsg). I wonder if that was real WiFi or something else. What's the difference between that "WiFi" and the WiFi made by wireless router? Waiting for a simple question, cause i'm not some geek.
You are using what's called ad-hoc wifi with a toy instead of infrastructure which is what a router uses. ad-hoc is device to device.
Bobby.e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:03 PM   #5
lifeislikeme
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby.e View Post
You are using what's called ad-hoc wifi with a toy instead of infrastructure which is what a router uses. ad-hoc is device to device.
OK, i think you guys have made it clear for me. WiFi is networking. It can be networking from Word Wide Web to device, and from device to device as well. And from device to device, the wifi is ad-hoc WiFi, right?
lifeislikeme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:00 AM   #6
Bobby.e
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kansas
Correct
Bobby.e is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ios7 ad-hoc (device to device) wifi connection problems? MyRomeo iOS 7 0 Sep 10, 2013 08:39 AM
iPhone 5 weak wifi single - help :( galc1991 iPhone 4 Mar 28, 2013 05:19 PM
iPhone not loading web pages over wifi Xaximus iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Oct 29, 2012 08:53 AM
iPhone 5 Disapears From Device List (not wifi sync) conshok26 iPhone 0 Sep 27, 2012 06:07 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps