Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neiloid

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Hants, UK
Hi all

The dock is now a permanent feature where as before it used to disappear when an application was open.

I want it to disappear unless I want it but Ive looked in all the system preferences and read Mountain Lion for dummies but can't see how I do it.

I know it must be easy to do but I can't see how and it's driving me mad.

Please help.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I do not use OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, but in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and previous versions, one could press CMD+OPTION+D to hide/show the Dock or go to System Preferences > Dock > Automatically hide and show Dock.

Neiloid

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Hants, UK
Brilliant, problem solved. I don't know how many times I looked at those preferences !

Thanks for your quick reply. :)

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
A third option is to right click on the dock. You have to rightclick on the stripe dividing your programs and the stacks (somewhere on the right), then in the menu that shows up you can select the top option, something like "hide dock" or "turn hiding on".

Neiloid

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Hants, UK
A third option is to right click on the dock. You have to rightclick on the stripe dividing your programs and the stacks (somewhere on the right), then in the menu that shows up you can select the top option, something like "hide dock" or "turn hiding on".

Excellent, thank you too :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.