Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
When I open the Camera in my iPhone 5 the display is the full screen whether in portrait or landscape mode. However once a shot is taken and I go to the Photos app the pictures are the same size as the iPhone 4S screen with black borders on the sides of every image. Any idea why they don't fit the full screen since they do when the photo is taken?

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
When I open the Camera in my iPhone 5 the display is the full screen whether in portrait or landscape mode. However once a shot is taken and I go to the Photos app the pictures are the same size as the iPhone 4S screen with black borders on the sides of every image. Any idea why they don't fit the full screen since they do when the photo is taken?

Because it takes pictures at the ratio of the iPhone 4/4s, not at the ratio of the 5. It mimics the ratio of normal printed pictures, and won't fill the screen because nobody prints pictures at the ratio the iPhone 5 uses.
Basically, it's a technical thing. It's probably always going to be this way on the iPhone 5.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Well this is dumb imo. If I'm able to see everything on the camera I would expect to be able to see it all in the picture as well.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Well this is dumb imo. If I'm able to see everything on the camera I would expect to be able to see it all in the picture as well.

Mine shows everything. The photo is pretty much identical to what the app showed me.

Cam app view vs. the final photo:
cam_screen.jpg

Actually, now that I look at it, the photo is showing more than the app did, so far from being cut off like you're claiming, it's actually putting a little extra in there.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Makes sense. They look identical I guess if it just doesn't fill the whole screen like I'm expecting it to it looks off. I wonder if they will ever switch to the 16:9 ratio since all apps and movies are for this device.

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
So Cal
Makes sense. They look identical I guess if it just doesn't fill the whole screen like I'm expecting it to it looks off. I wonder if they will ever switch to the 16:9 ratio since all apps and movies are for this device.

The 4:3 ratio has been the standard for many years, it is the same ratio an SLR uses which is based on that of original 35mm cameras. It is how the standard print sizes of 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10 are measured. So if you go to order prints from one of your phone pics it will actually fit in a frame.

I do not think the entire world will change something that fits literally millions of products world wide for one Apple product.

Imagine Apple invented a uniquely sized cake pan... would the entire world changed the size of their cakes?

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
The 4:3 ratio has been the standard for many years, it is the same ratio an SLR uses which is based on that of original 35mm cameras. It is how the standard print sizes of 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10 are measured. So if you go to order prints from one of your phone pics it will actually fit in a frame.

I do not think the entire world will change something that fits literally millions of products world wide for one Apple product.

Imagine Apple invented a uniquely sized cake pan... would the entire world changed the size of their cakes?

Perfect sense. I guess seeing someone using an Android device and the picture fits the whole screen I was expecting to get that same look. Not losing the 4:3 ratio, just filling in the dead black spaces.

You're not getting it lol.

Got it now...:)

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Perfect sense. I guess seeing someone using an Android device and the picture fits the whole screen I was expecting to get that same look. Not losing the 4:3 ratio, just filling in the dead black spaces.

Got it now...:)

Some androids like the HTC One X will take widescreen pictures by cropping off the top and bottom of a 4:3 picture. I wish this option was on the iPhone 5 but its not. What I'm doing for some pictures is editing them and click on crop and then click constrain and select 16:9. This way it will fill the 16:9 iPhone screen. Also if you do this from pictures in your photo stream it will save a copy of the photo. That way you will still have the 4:3 version and you will have a 16:9 version as well. I like to keep the 4:3 version for viewing on my iPad but I like the 16:9 version for viewing the iPhone and my TV. I put all the 16:9 pictures in a different folder. You have to do this from a computer though if you don't want the picture to show up in the camera roll. I created a folder on my PC called iPhone 5 pics and that’s where I put all the 16:9 photos and sync them back to the phone. The 16:9 photos also look better on Apple TV if you have one of those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.