Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

There has been a significant amount of discussion about Microsoft's rumored plans to bring Office to iOS devices, and The Verge now weighs in with additional details and a few screenshots from the project. According to the report, Office Mobile for iOS and Android will launch in early 2013 but will not offer anything close a true Office experience, with the editing functionality it does offer coming through an Office 365 subscription.
Office Mobile will debut in the form of free apps that allow Android and iOS users to view Microsoft Office documents on the move. Like the existing SkyDrive and OneNote apps, Office Mobile will require a Microsoft account. On first launch, a Microsoft account will provide access to the basic viewing functionality in the apps. Word, PowerPoint, and Excel documents will all be supported, and edit functionality can be enabled with an Office 365 subscription.

Microsoft will allow iOS users to purchase an Office 365 subscription within the app, or let organizations distribute codes to enable Office Mobile editing for users. The apps will allow for basic editing, but we're told this won't go very far in attempting to replace regular full use of a desktop Office version.
office_mobile_ios.jpg
The report indicates that Office Mobile for iOS is currently planned for launch in late February or early March, with the Android version following several months later.

Article Link: Microsoft Office for iOS Said to Launch in Early 2013, Offer Only Basic Functionality

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Took this long to offer "basic functionality"? Why bother then? There's already applications that can open Office documents.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I'm sure functionality will improve. It's going to be version 1.0 so not much is to be expected. I'd like to see the ability to write in Word even though some advanced features are disabled without subscription.

inspirations365

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2008
Took this long to offer "basic functionality"? Why bother then? There's already applications that can open Office documents.

But they aren't officially supported. That goes a long way in the corporate sector, where Office is indispensible. And with more corporations using iOS devices, cross-platform compatibility is not a bad thing.

Plus, needing a 360 sub for additional functionality will generate some money as well. This is the best thing MS could have done.

Sound214

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
Sweden
I don't get it. You can already view Office documents on iOS. You can also both view, edit and create .doc files in Pages, which costs merely $9.99, once, no need for a subscription.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
What a great idea! That's just what I always wanted, to pay for the same app functionality over and over again, year after year.

Wordman

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Well bang goes my idea of using a wireless keyboard with my iPad for Office. A Macbook Pro it is then.

Worksafe

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2010
Not worth it Microsoft

"Microsoft will allow iOS users to purchase an Office 365 subscription within the app, or let organizations distribute codes to enable Office Mobile editing for users. The apps will allow for basic editing, but we're told this won't go very far in attempting to replace regular full use of a desktop Office version."

No use wasting room of iOS for junk from Microsoft.

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
The Digital Frontier
Honestly I hope basic functionality means I could edit, save, upload and download file from device, like with file apps or at least skydrive option.

I don't get it. You can already view Office documents on iOS. You can also both view, edit and create .doc files in Pages, which costs merely $9.99, once, no need for a subscription.

The thing is that all of my documents are using the new standard of .docx

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Whether MS likes it or not, iOS is the dominant mobile OS with business. And the iPad is the standard all other tablets strive to be. I don't need or want limited function Office. I want full featured Office, and have no problem paying for it either.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011

But Pages always has, and always will, suck.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Office is the only thing MS has going for it and its only chance to be at the table in the post-PC era. Shame they haven't quite realised that yet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.