Well there you go

I will be upgrading
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:19 PM   #27
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post
Wow, if this is already in the pipeline then maybe Apple has solved the power/battery/size issues already. Or at least they must be in the process of doing so. This is good news. I can easily make due with the non-retina version (if I ever actually find a mini to purchase), but will definitely consider this upgrade should it be released.

Thanks for the post!
There is always at least 2 years in the development pipeline.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:20 PM   #28
mantan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by phpmaven View Post
I personally hope that they never come out with a Retina Mini. I don't want to have to wade through all of the dozens of "I told you so" and "My Mini is now a piece of crap" threads. It's already bad enough with all of the "The Mini's screen is unusable" threads.
They fit in nicely with the 'there will NEVER be an iPad mini' posts that littered the forum all summer.
mantan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:11 PM   #29
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
Gotta love when people take gossip as fact and fact as gossip.

What evidence do you have of what's impossible or what production/price yields are preventing the existence of a retina iPad Mini? Apple is well known for settling on lower specs by choice so whether or not a retina iPad Mini CAN exist is only known by Apple. So why are you trying to pass yourself off as one who knows anything?
The evidence is that no one has a tablet with size similar to 7.9 inches with resolution approaching 2048x1536 without weighting a tons. Only 3 tablets have that level of display (iPad 3, iPad 4, and nexus 10). and they weight from 1.33 lbs to 1.46 lbs). If you work the math, using the same technology would mean an iPad mini in the 1 to 1.1lb range as compare to 0.68 lb today. Don't think I want one that heavy now that we see how light it can be..
xofruitcake is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:18 PM   #30
seajewel
macrumors 6502

Well, I'll be upgrading once it's out, so count me in as excited, even if I did plunk down $330 for a first generation product.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:40 PM   #31
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

Perhaps Apple used the non-retina mini to test its success before they invested in 7.9" retina displays.
Yr Blues is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:42 PM   #32
phpmaven
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantan View Post
They fit in nicely with the 'there will NEVER be an iPad mini' posts that littered the forum all summer.
word
phpmaven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:45 PM   #33
onepremiere
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepCalmPeople View Post
The retina iPad mini is NOT in production - allegedly suppliers are readying components for production to start in Q3 of 2013. No real surprise there - it remains to be seen if they can achieve the necessary yield to go ahead with production of the display.
This, manufacturing forecasting can push out years in advance.

Remember the display manufacture has to prepare tooling, components, packaging, q.c. procedures, ect.

If you're forecasting 5 Million Displays
and it takes Component A - 4 Weeks per Million... Ect.

You see where I am going with this.

It all takes time, its very likely they are preparing for production, but the actual build of the iPad wont begin for sometime.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:47 PM   #34
kappaknight
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewStorm View Post
iPad Mini Retina ship March/April 2013. Component screens ship Q4 2012. 6 month cycle.
Reading comprehension FAIL.
kappaknight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:49 PM   #35
gto55
macrumors 6502a

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam07 View Post
This is great news! Lets see what processor they use.

Start saving your money now boys and girls!

About $30 per month and come November 2013 you'll have enough for a 16gb wifi Retina Mini.

About $40 per month for a 16gb LTE Retina Mini.

That's of course, if Apple keeps pricing the same.
Why not march/april 2013

Last edited by gto55; Nov 7, 2012 at 01:54 PM.
gto55 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:53 PM   #36
glen e
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by reputationZed View Post
So would it be inappropriate to start the "Apple screwed me over, I just bought the iPad mini and its already obsolete" threads now or should we wait a few months?
GET STARTED NOW!!! and please make sure you incorporate a large section of the post to AGAIN how bad the current screen is....I just don't think we covered it enuf here...LOL
glen e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:54 PM   #37
onepremiere
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yr Blues View Post
Perhaps Apple used the non-retina mini to test its success before they invested in 7.9" retina displays.
It would have cost less to just use the Retina out of the gate, I highly doubt this was a market strategy, but then again I don't work for Apple.

Because of Apple's cult like following/obsession, they don't need to bring all everything to the table all at once... They can spoon feed us over time generating more moola.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:58 PM   #38
Ladybug
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantan View Post
+1 Ding ding! Exactly my thoughts. The Mini has had so much opposition that its rediculous. We've all moved from being idiots that are just delusional for dreaming of such a device...to being idiot isheep for having dared purchase one. All I can say to the haters is "I love my mini", so don't waste your breath, I have more important things to worry about.

As for the retina version, I'll cross that bridge when we get there.
Ladybug is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:59 PM   #39
Techwriter
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen e View Post
GET STARTED NOW!!! and please make sure you incorporate a large section of the post to AGAIN how bad the current screen is....I just don't think we covered it enuf here...LOL
Don't forget to follow this with new threads about how the new, retina iPad mini has a yellow screen, is too heavy and hot, and takes forever to charge. jk. I enjoy MacRumors.
Techwriter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:01 PM   #40
TJ61
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepremiere View Post
It would have cost less to just use the Retina out of the gate....
How is that? And, your answer needs to include day-one access to iPad apps (i.e. full pixel count of iPad3/4, not just retina density).

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:34 PM   #41
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneymiike420 View Post
http://www.slashgear.com/ipad-mini-2...-auo-07255958/. Thou ask thou shall receive looks like we'll be seeing this in around 12 months from now..
In development is not in production.

Production begin Q3 2013, doesn't look to ship till 4Q 2013 - so at least folks worried that Apple will update again in March / April can rest a little easier. It looks like it will be at least October next when we see the revision 2 of the ipad mini.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yr Blues View Post
That's inane.

They did it because there is no 7.9" retina screens at the moment to put into them. period.

If these are not going into production till Q3 2013 for release probably Q4 2013, how can that be because they wanted to test the waters ?

Your posts are always negative and looking hopelessly for conspiracy theories in everything.
MacRumorUser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:46 PM   #42
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post

Production begin Q3 2013, doesn't look to ship till 4Q 2013 - so at least folks worried that Apple will update again in March / April can rest a little easier. It looks like it will be at least October next when we see the revision 2 of the ipad mini.

----------

That's inane.

They did it because there is no 7.9" retina screens at the moment to put into them. period.

If these are not going into production till Q3 2013 for release probably Q4 2013, how can that be because they wanted to test the waters ?

Your posts are always negative and looking hopelessly for conspiracy theories in everything.
learn to read, please

how is testing the waters with 1024 x 768 a conspiracy? it's a business decision

investment in retina a lot more expensive if it turned out to be a bust

And what is so negative about being cautious? you are really confusing
Yr Blues is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:51 PM   #43
onepremiere
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ61 View Post
How is that? And, your answer needs to include day-one access to iPad apps (i.e. full pixel count of iPad3/4, not just retina density).

Regards,
Tom
I was making my opinion from a production/manufacturing stand point.

Building two different displays for the same device.

Why not build the proposed direction for the device to start rather than producing, then obsoleting a display after only a few months. I am sure there is a cost difference within the actual components that make up the display, but when you factor labor costs, tooling, ect.

But this all goes back to Apple's spoon feeding... higher profit margins on with lost cost BOM... till the market is ready to spend that money again for the upgrade upgrade.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:01 PM   #44
reputationZed
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen e View Post
Actually I think I should start multiple threads, trying to keep all that rage against the machine in one thread would be too frustrating.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techwriter View Post
Don't forget to follow this with new threads about how the new, retina iPad mini has a yellow screen, is too heavy and hot, and takes forever to charge. jk. I enjoy MacRumors.
If we are really lucky we might even see a "if I sit the MiniR (can we call it the miniR?) in my lap will it make me sterile?"
reputationZed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:02 PM   #45
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

That resolution is overkill. Far higher than needed for retina. I know they didn't want another resolution for developers, but they should have done something intermediate, like on the fire HD. Would require less power and could be ready now.
QCassidy352 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:03 PM   #46
clyde2801
macrumors 601

New display technology and still light, and thin?

Oooh, Daddy like!*

Wait, that may mean the same screen, etc., etc., may make it's way to the iPad 5!

Daddy really like!!!

*Still doesn't mean I'll be buying the current mini model.

Last edited by clyde2801; Nov 7, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
clyde2801 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:12 PM   #47
reputationZed
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post

----------

That's inane.

Actually I think Apple had all intentions of launching the mini with a retina display. But then Bob, Tim, and Jony are sitting in the pub knocking back a couple of pints when Bob jokes they should just rehash the iPad2 hard ware. They all have a few laughs, but a few pints latter Tim's on the phone to Foxconn putting the kibosh on the retina. Next morning a very hung over Tim calls Jony asking "Did we..., no way..., were we that drunk?"
reputationZed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:31 PM   #48
TJ61
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepremiere View Post
Why not build the proposed direction for the device to start rather than producing, then obsoleting a display after only a few months.
But it all gets back to having an app-ready device. Their choices were 1024x 768 (which is a manufacturable ppi, i.e. reasonable yield), or 2048x1536 (higher ppi than ipad3/4, much lower yield).

And, there's really no money loss associated with a display that's getting produced and then obsoleted. For this device they go to a display fab that's capable of producing the much easier spec. When they decide to go retina, they go to the fab that's capable of that. They're not building their own display fabs.

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:35 PM   #49
Seiga
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneymiike420 View Post
http://www.slashgear.com/ipad-mini-2...-auo-07255958/. Thou ask thou shall receive looks like we'll be seeing this in around 12 months from now..
Seriously... this is new? I am not surprised at the one year wait. Everyone and their grandmothers could have easily predicted this.
iPad 2 16gb WiFi
Seiga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:03 PM   #50
wrkactjob
Banned

I want 1 for every iPad Mini Retina thread there is going to be, so I can retire and have enough to buy every new Apple product until I die as they all collapse on me.

I think the hysteria will reach new heights.

Looking forward to the "Should I buy my 2 year old the new retina mini?".
wrkactjob is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad