Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Speedy Gonzalez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Alligator Bayou
I have a launch day iPhone 5 black I thought lucky me because the screen is perfect and there is no dents or physical damage people was reporting out of the box

but now if I put my phone somewhere looks like the phone is coming apart something is loose inside like the camera or something also if I hit the phone with my finger it makes a lot of noise

never dropped it or nothing also the home button feels so cheap when you click on it there is 2 clicks not one only like the 4s or any other IOS device :eek: it feels like the button is going to brake or something

yeah I know take it back to the apple store but I went that route before and it was a nightmare with the ipad 2 dead pixels bleeding ect.

if I knew there is perfect iPhone 5's I try to exchange it today , is there any good iPhone 5's ?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I have a launch day iPhone 5 black I thought lucky me because the screen is perfect and there is no dents or physical damage people was reporting out of the box

but now if I put my phone somewhere looks like the phone is coming apart something is loose inside like the camera or something also if I hit the phone with my finger it makes a lot of noise

never dropped it or nothing also the home button feels so cheap when you click on it there is 2 clicks not one only like the 4s or any other IOS device :eek: it feels like the button is going to brake or something

yeah I know take it back to the apple store but I went that route before and it was a nightmare with the ipad 2 dead pixels bleeding ect.

if I knew there is perfect iPhone 5's I try to exchange it today , is there any good iPhone 5's ?

For your first concern, are you saying that when you tap the phone (specifically near the top) or set it down you hear a slight rattle? If so, that's just the optics of the camera and is perfectly normal, that is not a defect or a problem.

As to your second concern, the home button housing is built differently on the 5. The click feels more substantial and makes a more noticeable "clicking" noise. The click will feel and sound differently from that of previous iPhones. Now, I'm not sure if this is what you have, but I had an issue with my first iphone 5 where after 3 weeks my home button developed an annoying looseness, and when the right of the home button was slightly pressed in it would click, before making the full home button click when pushed all the way in as normal.

Anyways, the first issue you posted is normal and not a problem with the phone.

Speedy Gonzalez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Alligator Bayou
For your first concern, are you saying that when you tap the phone (specifically near the top) or set it down you hear a slight rattle? If so, that's just the optics of the camera and is perfectly normal, that is not a defect or a problem.

As to your second concern, the home button housing is built differently on the 5. The click feels more substantial and makes a more noticeable "clicking" noise. The click will feel and sound differently from that of previous iPhones. Now, I'm not sure if this is what you have, but I had an issue with my first iphone 5 where after 3 weeks my home button developed an annoying looseness, and when the right of the home button was slightly pressed in it would click, before making the full home button click when pushed all the way in as normal.

Anyways, the first issue you posted is normal and not a problem with the phone.

yes exactly on top of the phone by the camera when I set the phone down or just shaking it well normal " doesn't sounds to good :(

the home button does the same as yours is like 2 clicks before it works I am disappointed about the build quality thanks for the reply :)

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
yes exactly on top of the phone by the camera when I set the phone down or just shaking it well normal " doesn't sounds to good :(

the home button does the same as yours is like 2 clicks before it works I am disappointed about the build quality thanks for the reply :)

Well, again, the first part is normal. 99% (ish) of iPhones have this rattle, so as I mentioned before this is not a problem, there is a component in the camera that will always rattle because it needs to be slightly loose and have space.

For the home button problem, take it to your nearest Apple store and show them. I did this and they replaced it on the spot no questions asked. Just remember, when you get your new iPhone, don't be surprised when you hear that same rattle, it's normal and not an issue.

Good luck!

Speedy Gonzalez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Alligator Bayou
Well, again, the first part is normal. 99% (ish) of iPhones have this rattle, so as I mentioned before this is not a problem, there is a component in the camera that will always rattle because it needs to be slightly loose and have space.

For the home button problem, take it to your nearest Apple store and show them. I did this and they replaced it on the spot no questions asked. Just remember, when you get your new iPhone, don't be surprised when you hear that same rattle, it's normal and not an issue.

Good luck!

Thanks I will :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.