Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:48 AM   #1
aka777
macrumors 6502a

Concerns regarding the iPad Mini Screen

After having a read of displaymate's detailed analysis of the new mini screen, their following observations are a real concern. Particularly when considering that the mini is more likely to be used in different environments and lighting conditions.

When it comes to the 'SCREEN', the shortcomings of the display seem to be:
  1. Very High screen reflections. Up to 53% higher than the competition.
  2. Text is not sharp.
  3. Low color gamut.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_mini_ShootOut_1.htm

Has anyone experienced any of these concerns? Better yet,compared and contrasted the mini with the Kindle Fire.

Last edited by aka777; Nov 8, 2012 at 07:54 PM.
aka777 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:50 AM   #2
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

I'm not having any 'real' issues with mine.

I was well aware of what I was buying when I handed over my money and I'm loving this thing.

Next years will be better, but that's always the case with these products.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:00 AM   #3
aka777
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabingla2810 View Post
I'm not having any 'real' issues with mine.

I was well aware of what I was buying when I handed over my money and I'm loving this thing.

Next years will be better, but that's always the case with these products.
Well that's great, however, that does not change these actual issues.

How were you aware of the screen reflection versus the competition?
aka777 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Sh4wN
macrumors regular

It's obviously not meant for... lets call it "high-end" use. But that was clear from the start, with that resolution and SoC.
Sh4wN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:04 AM   #5
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka777 View Post

I haven't encountered any issues in my usage.

I didn't buy this thing because of the amount of screen glare it has when compared to the competition.

I looked at what the competition did well, then looked at what the ipad did well, and decided I wanted to spend my money on the ipad.

Next year Apple will release an improved ipad mini, and you know what, if I like the look of that, I'll buy one of them too.

I'm not losing sleep over how the specs compare. It's all about the experience, and for me, the ipad offers the best one.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:11 AM   #6
aka777
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabingla2810 View Post

I'm not losing sleep
This is not about the ecosystem, apps, apple logo, price etc etc etc. I am also sourcing the information from a site that is renowned for detailed scientific screen reviews and isn't just some blog.

Considering lots of people will take the mini on the go and read on it, screen reflections cause fatigue. In addition, the mini has poorer screen readability in bright light.

Last edited by aka777; Nov 8, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
aka777 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:13 AM   #7
dbdynsty25
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to dbdynsty25
Quote:
Perhaps you missed the tittle of this thread, it's not about the ecosystem,. apps, apple logo, price etc etc etc.

Considering lots of people will take the mini on the go and read on it, screen reflections cause fatigue. In addition, the mini has poorer screen readability in bright light.
A device that you have with you all the time is 100% more readable than one that you leave at home because it's a bit too big to lug around everywhere.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:13 AM   #8
sweetbrat
macrumors 65816

Quote:

They're only actual "issues" if the person using the device sees them that way. The Mini isn't perfect for everyone, but it's great for a lot of people. Have you used a Mini at all, or are you basing everything off this article?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:15 AM   #9
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Perhaps you missed the tittle of this thread, it's not about the ecosystem, apps, apple logo, price etc etc etc. I am also sourcing the information from a site that is renowned for detailed screen reviews.

When it comes to personal opinions, do I really need to say any more about them. For example, folks with HP Touchpads will swear that they're the best tablet hands-down.
Ok, maybe if you do a lot of reading in the sun, it will be an issue.

Living in the north of England in November, I have yet to encounter this, sadly, haha.

For me, it is not something I considered, or thought about when buying the ipad mini.

If your reading lots in sunny areas I'd suggest a kindle.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:16 AM   #10
CTHarrryH
macrumors 6502

Gee a new topic. I like my screen. Could it be better? And cheaper and faster and help me lose weight and become better looking. Etc.

If it works for you great if not don't use it

Empirical measurements are great but not always valid for all
CTHarrryH is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:19 AM   #11
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Having a look at displaymates detailed analysis of the new mini screen, the real issues have nothing to do with the lack of retina.

When it comes to the SCREEN, the problems with the display are:
  2. Text is not sharp.
  3. Low color gamut.

Do you own a Mini?

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:22 AM   #12
aka777
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
Do you own a Mini?
No.

I am interested in discussing actual screen comparisons of 7 inch tablets here, prior to my purchase.

Last edited by aka777; Nov 8, 2012 at 07:55 PM.
aka777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:25 AM   #13
N0ddie
macrumors regular

16th thread complaining about the mini screen on just the first 1.5 pages on the iPad section. Surely you could have put this is those?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:26 AM   #14
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
NO.

I am discussing actual screen comparisons of 7 inch tablets here.
I thought it was interesting that this renowned source found "real issues" with all three screens that it compared (Kindle, Nexus and Mini).

For folks that just skimmed the article, here are the letter grades they assigned for "overall screen quality":

Kindle Fire HD: A-
iPad mini: B
Nexus 7: B-

To me, that indicates that none of them were as good as they could be, and the mini's wasn't the worst of the group.
aristobrat is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:33 AM   #15
sweetbrat
macrumors 65816

Quote:
NO.

You're quoting an article in which the reviewer has issues with the iPad Mini screen. Congratulations, you can cut and paste. Once you've picked one up and used it for a while, then come back and talk about the issues with the screen. Ok, so they measured and there's 53% more glare. That's lovely and scientific, but tells me nothing about what it means to me in daily usage. Until you use the device, how do you know if that increase in glare is actually a problem for you or not? Amazingly enough, different people have different preferences and requirements, and not everyone cares about the same things.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:57 AM   #16
allapon
macrumors regular

I read the title of article and see number that he quote.

Yes, iPad Mini Screen didn't that good compare to both Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire. But it is not like "unacceptable" for all mean. I am fine with my iPad Mini and use it every single day.

I wrote some review about iPad Mini in my language too. But I would like to quote myself for that.

"If you are Apple fan for long time since iBook G4 Era, you would notice that Apple never build device based on current specification. Apple build device based on user experience. They didn't care much about what "inside", but result that delivery to customer was much more important.

Last couple year, Apple might build product to make everybody think that Apple product have to be "new" Technology, "New" innovation. Innovation for Apple is not only "Specification", it is about "Design" , "Form Factor" and such. That is the reason why iPad Mini don't go "Wow" with Updated Specification. You have to experience to understand, and it might be the new standard for 7" Tablet as they do with iPod among mp3 Player market!!
"
allapon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:01 PM   #17
bova80
macrumors 6502

another thread on the screen go figure. so OP how do you plan on fixing the issues?
bova80 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:07 PM   #18
bcaslis
macrumors 68000

Thumbs down REAL ISSUE is posters who don't have one complaining

What on earth is the OP goal? To get people who bought a mini to return them?

I have an iPad 3 and now the mini. I like the mini much better. No amount of posts by someone who doesn't even own one is going to change that. My "real issue" is people like this who start these threads.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:07 PM   #19
parseckadet
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Perhaps you missed the tittle of this thread, it's not about the ecosystem, apps, apple logo, price etc etc etc. I am also sourcing the information from a site that is renowned for detailed screen reviews.
What is the point of this thread then? To only cherry-pick reviews that agree with your opinion, and then tell people who don't share your laser focus on a single aspect of the device that they don't get the point?

Quote:
NO.

To what end? It seems that you're saying that the ONLY feature that matters at all is the display quality. If one were to follow that logic, then I should just contact the display manufactures and ask if I can buy just the bare display panel. I mean, if the only thing that matters is the display quality, then that's a perfectly valid way to get the best quality screen possible.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:08 PM   #20
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Having a look at displaymates detailed analysis of the new mini screen, the real issues have nothing to do with the lack of retina.

2. Text is not sharp.
  3. Low color gamut.

So apparently "issue" now means "not as good spec wise".
NT1440 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:09 PM   #21
technopimp
macrumors 6502a

So you don't own one, are apparently just regurgitating what some other random site said, and declaring what the "real" problems are?

Another useful thread.

On a side note, if that site's credibility is in any way related to how well they've designed their site (is that a Frontpage 97 template??), I'd take whatever they say with a grain of salt.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:11 PM   #22
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by technopimp View Post
So you don't own one, are apparently just regurgitating what some other random site said, and declaring what the "real" problems are?

Another useful thread.
This is the new media. You can get posters doing astroturf campaigns against products, ever notice the mouthpiece posters that pop up after every new release comparing to other products that aren't even a real alternative?

People get paid for these things now
NT1440 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:37 PM   #23
N0ddie
macrumors regular

Not heard from the OP in a while
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:53 PM   #24
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0ddie View Post
Not heard from the OP in a while
He's now out trying to find a article about the "real" issues with not having a leg to stand on.
BHP41 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:07 PM   #25
MrXiro
macrumors 68030

Quote:

2. Text is not sharp.
  3. Low color gamut.

[*]Very High screen reflections. Up to 53% higher than the competition. - Not an issue in actual usage, no worse than my last 3 iPads
[*]Text is not sharp. - This has EVERYTHING to do with retina display
[*]Low color gamut. - But same as the 3GS and iPad 2 meaning, it's not worst, just not the "best" (iPad 3/4, iPhone 4/5 screens)

----------

Quote:

When it comes to personal opinions, do I really need to say any more about them. For example, folks with HP Touchpads will swear that they're the best tablet hands-down.
If you'd have actually used one (not looked at one for 5 minutes at the store) or read the article fully you'd understand that you are over reacting to a non-issue. It's not stating the "issues" are "problems" just things that they found not "top of the line" as many haven't noticed... the iPad Mini is the entry level model of the iPad family. Does it cost more than the competitors? Yes. But has that EVER differed from how they operate? NO!

MrXiro is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Tags
ipad mini, screen issues