Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
After having a read of displaymate's detailed analysis of the new mini screen, their following observations are a real concern. Particularly when considering that the mini is more likely to be used in different environments and lighting conditions.

When it comes to the 'SCREEN', the shortcomings of the display seem to be:
  1. Very High screen reflections. Up to 53% higher than the competition.
  2. Text is not sharp.
  3. Low color gamut.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_mini_ShootOut_1.htm

Has anyone experienced any of these concerns? Better yet,compared and contrasted the mini with the Kindle Fire.

Last edited:

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I'm not having any 'real' issues with mine.

I was well aware of what I was buying when I handed over my money and I'm loving this thing.

Next years will be better, but that's always the case with these products.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
I'm not having any 'real' issues with mine.

I was well aware of what I was buying when I handed over my money and I'm loving this thing.

Next years will be better, but that's always the case with these products.

Well that's great, however, that does not change these actual issues.

How were you aware of the screen reflection versus the competition?

Sh4wN

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
It's obviously not meant for... lets call it "high-end" use. But that was clear from the start, with that resolution and SoC.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

I haven't encountered any issues in my usage.

I didn't buy this thing because of the amount of screen glare it has when compared to the competition.

I looked at what the competition did well, then looked at what the ipad did well, and decided I wanted to spend my money on the ipad.

Next year Apple will release an improved ipad mini, and you know what, if I like the look of that, I'll buy one of them too.

I'm not losing sleep over how the specs compare. It's all about the experience, and for me, the ipad offers the best one.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012

I'm not losing sleep

This is not about the ecosystem, apps, apple logo, price etc etc etc. I am also sourcing the information from a site that is renowned for detailed scientific screen reviews and isn't just some blog.

Considering lots of people will take the mini on the go and read on it, screen reflections cause fatigue. In addition, the mini has poorer screen readability in bright light.

Last edited:

dbdynsty25

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
Thousand Oaks, CA
Perhaps you missed the tittle of this thread, it's not about the ecosystem,. apps, apple logo, price etc etc etc.

Considering lots of people will take the mini on the go and read on it, screen reflections cause fatigue. In addition, the mini has poorer screen readability in bright light.

A device that you have with you all the time is 100% more readable than one that you leave at home because it's a bit too big to lug around everywhere.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI

They're only actual "issues" if the person using the device sees them that way. The Mini isn't perfect for everyone, but it's great for a lot of people. Have you used a Mini at all, or are you basing everything off this article?

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Perhaps you missed the tittle of this thread, it's not about the ecosystem, apps, apple logo, price etc etc etc. I am also sourcing the information from a site that is renowned for detailed screen reviews.

When it comes to personal opinions, do I really need to say any more about them. For example, folks with HP Touchpads will swear that they're the best tablet hands-down.

Ok, maybe if you do a lot of reading in the sun, it will be an issue.

Living in the north of England in November, I have yet to encounter this, sadly, haha.

For me, it is not something I considered, or thought about when buying the ipad mini.

If your reading lots in sunny areas I'd suggest a kindle.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Gee a new topic. I like my screen. Could it be better? And cheaper and faster and help me lose weight and become better looking. Etc.

If it works for you great if not don't use it

Empirical measurements are great but not always valid for all

N0ddie

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Glasgow
16th thread complaining about the mini screen on just the first 1.5 pages on the iPad section. Surely you could have put this is those?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
NO.

I am discussing actual screen comparisons of 7 inch tablets here.
I thought it was interesting that this renowned source found "real issues" with all three screens that it compared (Kindle, Nexus and Mini).

For folks that just skimmed the article, here are the letter grades they assigned for "overall screen quality":

Kindle Fire HD: A-
iPad mini: B
Nexus 7: B-

To me, that indicates that none of them were as good as they could be, and the mini's wasn't the worst of the group.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
NO.

You're quoting an article in which the reviewer has issues with the iPad Mini screen. Congratulations, you can cut and paste. Once you've picked one up and used it for a while, then come back and talk about the issues with the screen. Ok, so they measured and there's 53% more glare. That's lovely and scientific, but tells me nothing about what it means to me in daily usage. Until you use the device, how do you know if that increase in glare is actually a problem for you or not? Amazingly enough, different people have different preferences and requirements, and not everyone cares about the same things.

allapon

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
I read the title of article and see number that he quote.

Yes, iPad Mini Screen didn't that good compare to both Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire. But it is not like "unacceptable" for all mean. I am fine with my iPad Mini and use it every single day.

I wrote some review about iPad Mini in my language too. But I would like to quote myself for that.

"If you are Apple fan for long time since iBook G4 Era, you would notice that Apple never build device based on current specification. Apple build device based on user experience. They didn't care much about what "inside", but result that delivery to customer was much more important.

Last couple year, Apple might build product to make everybody think that Apple product have to be "new" Technology, "New" innovation. Innovation for Apple is not only "Specification", it is about "Design" , "Form Factor" and such. That is the reason why iPad Mini don't go "Wow" with Updated Specification. You have to experience to understand, and it might be the new standard for 7" Tablet as they do with iPod among mp3 Player market!!
"

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
REAL ISSUE is posters who don't have one complaining

What on earth is the OP goal? To get people who bought a mini to return them? :confused:

I have an iPad 3 and now the mini. I like the mini much better. No amount of posts by someone who doesn't even own one is going to change that. My "real issue" is people like this who start these threads.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Perhaps you missed the tittle of this thread, it's not about the ecosystem, apps, apple logo, price etc etc etc. I am also sourcing the information from a site that is renowned for detailed screen reviews.

What is the point of this thread then? To only cherry-pick reviews that agree with your opinion, and then tell people who don't share your laser focus on a single aspect of the device that they don't get the point?

NO.

To what end? It seems that you're saying that the ONLY feature that matters at all is the display quality. If one were to follow that logic, then I should just contact the display manufactures and ask if I can buy just the bare display panel. I mean, if the only thing that matters is the display quality, then that's a perfectly valid way to get the best quality screen possible.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Having a look at displaymates detailed analysis of the new mini screen, the real issues have nothing to do with the lack of retina.

When it comes to the SCREEN, the problems with the display are:

2. Text is not sharp.
  3. Low color gamut.

So apparently "issue" now means "not as good spec wise".
:rolleyes:

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
So you don't own one, are apparently just regurgitating what some other random site said, and declaring what the "real" problems are?

Another useful thread.

On a side note, if that site's credibility is in any way related to how well they've designed their site (is that a Frontpage 97 template??), I'd take whatever they say with a grain of salt.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
So you don't own one, are apparently just regurgitating what some other random site said, and declaring what the "real" problems are?

Another useful thread.

This is the new media. You can get posters doing astroturf campaigns against products, ever notice the mouthpiece posters that pop up after every new release comparing to other products that aren't even a real alternative?

People get paid for these things now ;)

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Having a look at displaymates detailed analysis of the new mini screen, the real issues have nothing to do with the lack of retina.

When it comes to the SCREEN, the problems with the display are:

2. Text is not sharp.
  3. Low color gamut.

[*]Very High screen reflections. Up to 53% higher than the competition. - Not an issue in actual usage, no worse than my last 3 iPads
[*]Text is not sharp. - This has EVERYTHING to do with retina display
[*]Low color gamut. - But same as the 3GS and iPad 2 meaning, it's not worst, just not the "best" (iPad 3/4, iPhone 4/5 screens)

----------

When it comes to personal opinions, do I really need to say any more about them. For example, folks with HP Touchpads will swear that they're the best tablet hands-down.

If you'd have actually used one (not looked at one for 5 minutes at the store) or read the article fully you'd understand that you are over reacting to a non-issue. It's not stating the "issues" are "problems" just things that they found not "top of the line" as many haven't noticed... the iPad Mini is the entry level model of the iPad family. Does it cost more than the competitors? Yes. But has that EVER differed from how they operate? NO!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.