Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:27 PM   #26
ZBoater
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4wN View Post
It's obviously not meant for... lets call it "high-end" use. But that was clear from the start, with that resolution and SoC.
You mean Angry Birds?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:44 PM   #27
glhiii
macrumors regular

Keep changing my mind

I have an iPad 3 and picked up a Mini. At first, I didn't like the Mini's screen -- hardly a surprise after using the 3. Then I was delighted by its weight, the ability to take it everywhere. Then today I tried to use the Mini for work instead of the 3, and the screen gave me a headache. I've gone through several stages: return the mini, sell the 3 and use only the mini, return the mini, and now keep them both for different things. The mini is good for reading books and is handy for checking email, the web, things like that. But it's horrible for reading pdf's or for work where you have to really concentrate on the screen. The two iPads are really quite different and have different uses, just like an iPad and a MBP.
glhiii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:56 PM   #28
E.Lizardo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka777 View Post
NO.

I am discussing actual screen comparisons of 7 inch tablets here.
Get a clue.Nobody gives a damn about your personal vendetta against the mini.Get a life.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:01 PM   #29
sectime
Banned

Quote:
NO.

Oh boy another stupid thread by a non owner I do own one and at 12 to 20 inches it looks just fine. I also own a iPad 4 it looks fine also. goodbye
sectime is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:13 PM   #30
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Having a look at displaymates detailed analysis of the new mini screen, the real issues have nothing to do with the lack of retina.

When it comes to the SCREEN, the problems with the display are:
  1. Very High screen reflections. Up to 53% higher than the competition.
  2. Text is not sharp.
  3. Low color gamut.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_mini_ShootOut_1.htm
um...

1. Text is not sharp = lack of retina
2. Low color gamut is a real concern, given how accurate the displays of iPhone 5 and iPad 3/4 are. Some of the photographers that I know use the iPad 3 to connect to their DSLRs to view their photos just taken, because it's much better than the screen on their DSLRs.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:25 PM   #31
Hello...
macrumors 6502a

Love my Mini!💗
Hello... is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:08 PM   #32
waltercln
macrumors regular

Quote:
Perhaps you missed the tittle of this thread, it's not about the ecosystem, apps, apple logo, price etc etc etc. I am also sourcing the information from a site that is renowned for detailed screen reviews.

Considering lots of people will take the mini on the go and read on it, screen reflections cause fatigue. In addition, the mini has poorer screen readability in bright light.

When it comes to personal opinions, do I really need to say any more about them. For example, folks with HP Touchpads will swear that they're the best tablet hands-down.
But I take my mini outside and read perfectly fine. I just up the brightness a bit and viola, perfect clarity. So what's the point of this link? It's really a non issue. You're all just looking deep to find any little fault with the damn tablet. Just let it be. Enjoy the product if you don't want to you don't have to, that's the great thing about choice.
waltercln is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:53 PM   #33
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
How were you aware of the screen reflection versus the competition?
Today I walked into the nearest Apple Store, picked up a mini, looked at its screen and immediately threw it down and screamed in my loudest voice, "what low colour gamut!" I then proceeded to storm out of the Apple Store while the throngs of people there buying (thank god) other products cheered and clapped and expressed pure joy at my unexpected outburst. As I exited the store, I cried out, "I'm a troll, you dimwits!"

Last edited by WilliamLondon; Nov 7, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
WilliamLondon is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:33 PM   #34
bidwalj
macrumors 6502a

I don't know about how reflection affects my usage but I do wish the screen had a bit more pop / color. After using the iphone 5, iPad 3 and retina MacBook, the screen of the mini almost feels dim / washed out. I wish there was a way to make some adjustments.
bidwalj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:11 PM   #35
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidwalj View Post
I don't know about how reflection affects my usage but I do wish the screen had a bit more pop / color. After using the iphone 5, iPad 3 and retina MacBook, the screen of the mini almost feels dim / washed out. I wish there was a way to make some adjustments.
This is inherent in the lower quality panel technology that they decided to use. Even if the settings were provided, you would lose something else by increasing the saturation. In other words the panel is already as saturated as it can be without losing out on contrast.

The screen has already been calibrated for ideal contrast/saturation from the factory. The panel can't be pushed any further.

Last edited by syd430; Nov 8, 2012 at 12:39 AM.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:35 PM   #36
bidwalj
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
This is inherent in the lower quality panel technology that they decided to use. Even if the settings were provided, you would lose something else by increasing the saturation. In other words the panel is already as saturated as it can be without loosing out on contrast.

The screen has already been calibrated for ideal contrast/saturation from the factory. The panel can't be pushed any further.
I figured that was the case. Apple should have put in a better panel, even if it wasn't retina. No reason it couldn't be more brighter and crisp.
bidwalj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:56 PM   #37
Buckeyestar
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Perhaps you missed the tittle of this thread, it's not about the ecosystem, apps, apple logo, price etc etc etc. I am also sourcing the information from a site that is renowned for detailed screen reviews.

Considering lots of people will take the mini on the go and read on it, screen reflections cause fatigue. In addition, the mini has poorer screen readability in bright light.

When it comes to personal opinions, do I really need to say any more about them. For example, folks with HP Touchpads will swear that they're the best tablet hands-down.
What good is a better screen without the ecosystem, apps, build quality, etc to back it up? Lets all go buy ultra HD televisions, never mid that there's no content made for them yet.
Buckeyestar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:28 PM   #38
aka777
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Lizardo View Post
Get a clue.Nobody gives a damn about your personal vendetta against the mini.Get a life.
Surely you see the irony in your statement.

Therefore, unless you actually have something technical to say, or personal experiences relating to the points mentioned in the OP, move along.

The responses are also laughable considering so many will return device after device because they imagine something is wrong with the tinge of a perfect screen.

Last edited by aka777; Nov 8, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
aka777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:58 PM   #39
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
The responses are also laughable considering so many will return device after device because they assume something is wrong with a perfect screen.
So you point to analysis by a "renowned" expert on screens that rated the screens on the Kindle, mini, and Nexus...

Said expert says the screens of all three devices have "REAL ISSUES".

Furthermore, said expert rates the iPad mini screen as a "B" in overall quality. Less overall quality than the Kindle (which got an "A-"), and better quality than the Nexus (which got a "B-").

It seems to me that if you're trying to make the point that people will be returning the iPad mini because of it's screen, YOU LINKED TO THE WRONG ANALYSIS. Using the logic of this analysis, more people will return the Nexus 7 because of screen issues.
aristobrat is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:59 PM   #40
parseckadet
macrumors 6502

Quote:

The responses from so many on here is pure iSheep fanboy idiocy. I know apple has blurred the water and many now assume it's arts students designing this technology, however, many of us actually have a clue about technology. You know, as in are actual engineers who design such products and their chipsets.

Therefore, unless you actually have something technical to say, or personal experiences relating to the points mentioned in the OP, move along. The responses are also laughable considering so many will return device after device because they assume something is wrong with a perfect screen.
People have tried to give you reasoned responses and your only reaction so far is to tell them they're missing the point and to insult them. So please, enlightened one, explain to us what sort of discussion you would like to see.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:01 PM   #41
bova80
macrumors 6502

Quote:

The responses from so many on here is pure iSheep fanboy idiocy. I know apple has blurred the water and many now assume it's arts students designing this technology, however, many of us actually have a clue about technology. You know, as in are actual engineers who design such products and their chipsets.

Therefore, unless you actually have something technical to say, or personal experiences relating to the points mentioned in the OP, move along. The responses are also laughable considering so many will return device after device because they assume something is wrong with a perfect screen.
what point are you trying to prove? that you know how to regurgitate information that most everyone already knows? do you want everyone to take back their ipad mini's?
bova80 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:20 PM   #42
sweetbrat
macrumors 65816

Quote:

We can all read the review for ourselves. You don't have anything technical to say, so doesn't that mean you should bow out of the thread yourself?

Very few here have been taking the "iSheep" stance, as you like to put it. That's such a ridiculous non-word, but that's beside the point. People have simply been trying to tell you that reviews on tech specs are one thing, and real-world experiences are another. No matter what you read, until you use a device, you're not forming your own opinion...you're simply letting information from others make the decision for you. Why is that so hard to understand? Comparing tech specs is great to give you an idea of how a product might function, but it's not the whole story.

I don't care if a reviewer says that a product (and this doesn't just go for Apple products) has a mediocre screen, or that it's slow, or that the color seems off, or that its processor is x% slower than this other device. If I have an interest in it, I'll try it. If I like it, great. If not, I move on. That's not being a sheep, that's making an informed decision. You should try it sometime instead of just spouting off other people's information,.
sweetbrat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:20 PM   #43
technopimp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bova80 View Post
what point are you trying to prove? that you know how to regurgitate information that most everyone already knows? do you want everyone to take back their ipad mini's?
That's what I've been trying to figure out. At this point I figure it's either

a) troll
b) actual author of that article shilling his site, or
c) someone who wants a Mini but for one reason or another can't have one and wants everyone to know why it would be stupid to have one anyway, or
d) all of the above

Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:28 PM   #44
richorlin
macrumors regular

Quote:
NO.

How about discussing actual real-world usage here instead of statistics. Who the hell cares what Displaymate says. If the iPad Mini works for you, then great. If not, then don't buy it. It's all about user expectations/experience, not the specs. Jeez!

And, yes, I bought one for me and one for my wife. We sold our 10" iPads. Just too heavy for real-world useage.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:42 PM   #45
noteple
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Having a look at displaymates detailed analysis of the new mini screen, the real issues have nothing to do with the lack of retina.

When it comes to the SCREEN, the problems with the display are:
  1. Very High screen reflections. Up to 53% higher than the competition.
  2. Text is not sharp.
  3. Low color gamut.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_mini_ShootOut_1.htm
Oh we got trouble, right here in River City...
noteple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:10 PM   #46
aka777
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by technopimp View Post
That's what I've been trying to figure out. At this point I figure it's either

a) troll
b) actual author of that article shilling his site, or
c) someone who wants a Mini but for one reason or another can't have one and wants everyone to know why it would be stupid to have one anyway, or
d) all of the above

Apparently, the analysis of a renowned expert in displays who has a Ph.D. in Theoretical Physics from Princeton University and produces video calibration, evaluation, and diagnostic products for consumers, technicians, and manufacturers is no match for the 'opinions' of folks on macrumours.

Guys, first off, I have two iPads with LTE on order, so spare me the troll BS. What I am trying to ascertain is whether the aforementioned will be an issue.

I am asking legitimate questions regarding the performance and limitations of the iPad mini screen. Resolution is only one part of a screen.

Last edited by aka777; Nov 8, 2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:15 PM   #47
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Of course, apparently, the analysis of a renowned expert in displays who has a Ph.D. in Theoretical Physics from Princeton University and produces video calibration, evaluation, and diagnostic products for consumers, technicians, and manufacturers is no match for the 'opinions' of folks on macrumours.

Guys, first off, I have two iPads with LTE on order, so spare me the troll BS. What I am trying to ascertain is whether the aforementioned will be an issue.

I am asking legitimate questions regarding the performance and limitations of the iPad mini screen. Resolution is only one part of a screen.
If the guy who has a Ph.D. in Theoretical Physics from Princeton University and produces video calibration, evaluation, and diagnostic products for consumers, technicians, and manufacturers gave the mini screen a rating of "B", what specifically is your concern?

And why the hell would you start a thread like this if you're only looking for the input from people with his qualifications?!
aristobrat is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:33 PM   #48
technopimp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
If the guy who has a Ph.D. in Theoretical Physics from Princeton University and produces video calibration, evaluation, and diagnostic products for consumers, technicians, and manufacturers gave the mini screen a rating of "B", what specifically is your concern?

And why the hell would you start a thread like this if you're only looking for the input from people with his qualifications?!
Not to mention, your original post didn't even ask a question. You were stating what the "real issues" of the screen are-you did not ask for any input.

I guess we must also need Ph.D's in order to discern what you really are trying to say...
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:51 PM   #49
aka777
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by technopimp View Post
Not to mention, your original post didn't even ask a question. You were stating what the "real issues" of the screen are-you did not ask for any input.

I guess we must also need Ph.D's in order to discern what you really are trying to say...
I reworded the OP and posts....

Last edited by aka777; Nov 8, 2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:15 AM   #50
bova80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I reworded the OP and posts....
so you spout all this crap off just to get people's real world opinion of the screen, which they gave you. If people are saying this screen isn't as bad as what it's made out to be, don't you think that answers your question?
bova80 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Tags
ipad mini, screen issues