Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
EDIT: Mods, feel free to collapse this to the current massive Nexus 4 thread later on, if you wish.

According to Reddit, these are, yet unpublished, new benchmarks from Anandtech with new (but final?) Nexus 4 software. Not even sure what the benchmarks actually mean, but they fare much better http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/12rk7s/anandtech_have_run_new_nexus_4_benchmarks_which/

Here's the GLBenchmark post by Anandtech:
http://www.glbenchmark.com/resultsoflogin.jsp?login=anandtech&benchmark=glpro25

2c9H7.png

KxbX6.png

----------

And here's GSMArena's final battery test for the LG Optimus G:
gsmarena_002.jpg

I see where they get the 15.3 hour talk time from for the Nexus 4 now. Regarding the browser time, that's using LTE, I'm assuming. So without LTE, you lose some speed, but will gain battery longevity.

Last edited:

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Some big performance increases there, up to 81%, not bad. Will definitely be ordering this on Tuesday.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
This is great news. Does anyone know if the camera shoots videos at 30 fps or 24. The specs show it as 30, but the recording itself seems a bit choppy.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
This is great news! Thanks for sharing. I'm seriously considering pre-ordering it from this website since I can't get it from the Play store in Ireland and who knows when the carriers will get it. http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=8177

Don't !! As the phone is subsidised by google (roughly 50%) - provider wont get it.

But why not ordering directly here:

http://google.co.uk/nexus/4

A LOT cheaper.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
[/COLOR]And here's GSMArena's final battery test for the LG Optimus G:

I see where they get the 15.3 hour talk time from for the Nexus 4 now. Regarding the browser time, that's using LTE, I'm assuming. So without LTE, you lose some speed, but will gain battery longevity.

I have it on good authority that it's a fact that the battery life sucks on the Nexus 4.

The battery life sucks on the Nexus 4. Just a fact.

See. :p

Good to see improvements. :cool:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011

Yeah, not sure what that's about. Is thermal throttling something software can fix?

----------

This thermal throttling thing could be a deal breaker, as the LG Optimus G may have similar problems. It seems like the benchmarks would do fine if the phone wasn't overheating.

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2012/10/lg-optimus-g-first-impressions.html

Regarding the LG Optimus G:

"One potential issue for long-term use revolves around overheating. I thought it may one specific model, but both units tested had significant drops in benchmark performance after extended use and, more importantly, after getting extremely hot. I cooled the phones down and retested, and after a brief warm-up period they were back to benchmark-breaking numbers. It’s unclear as of yet whether that means thermal throttling is in place or if the phone just cannot dissipate heat well enough for the new CPU and GPU, but one thing is certain: performance drops significantly, from way over competition from phones like the HTC One X or Samsung Galaxy S III, to just under them both."

Last edited:

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Yeah, not sure what that's about. Is thermal throttling something software can fix?

----------

This thermal throttling thing could be a deal breaker, as the LG Optimus G may have similar problems. It seems like the benchmarks would do fine if the phone was overheating.

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2012/10/lg-optimus-g-first-impressions.html

Regarding the LG Optimus G:

"One potential issue for long-term use revolves around overheating. I thought it may one specific model, but both units tested had significant drops in benchmark performance after extended use and, more importantly, after getting extremely hot. I cooled the phones down and retested, and after a brief warm-up period they were back to benchmark-breaking numbers. It’s unclear as of yet whether that means thermal throttling is in place or if the phone just cannot dissipate heat well enough for the new CPU and GPU, but one thing is certain: performance drops significantly, from way over competition from phones like the HTC One X or Samsung Galaxy S III, to just under them both."

I'm sure they will have it all sorted out by release, I just thought I'd quick reply w/ that b/c that is spammed all over the comments in the post you linked.

I have mixed feelings about the release tho, it is poorly handled by Google on many fronts. It should have a full head of steam out of the gates, but there are so many mixed reviews, so many questions left unanswered. Would've loved to see their unveiling or at least a presentation from Google.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I'm sure they will have it all sorted out by release, I just thought I'd quick reply w/ that b/c that is spammed all over the comments in the post you linked.

I have mixed feelings about the release tho, it is poorly handled by Google on many fronts. It should have a full head of steam out of the gates, but there are so many mixed reviews, so many questions left unanswered. Would've loved to see their unveiling or at least a presentation from Google.

Yep. Google fumbled the release big time. All this confusion is discouraging for early adopters.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Another meaningless benchmark. None of those phones have 1080p displays :rolleyes:

It's how you equalize performance metrics, where no device has a native resolution advantage.

And I'll wait for Anandtech to publish the results. As of right now they have a preview up, not final.

Last edited:

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Yep. Google fumbled the release big time. All this confusion is discouraging for early adopters.

I think in general early adopters get it worst no matter what.

I got an iPad 3 when it came out. It was cool and all, but it was kind of laggy as the hardware felt insufficient for the screen. Same thing for the rMBP. Feels laggy doing just about anything on any web browser.

Starting to think gen 2 is always best.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I wasn't going to be an early adopter anyway, but the shocking price points had me considering it (I always said I was waiting for either a price drop or a 32GB version. Didn't think the "price drop" would come on day one).

Now, I'm back to waiting. And I don't blame anyone for feeling discouraged to adopt early. Google fumbled. They gave unfinished software (and hardware, apparently) to reviewers to generate hype with early reviews but it's blown up in their face.

The reviews are actually very good. In every measure, an upgrade from the Galaxy Nexus. In some cases, a stark upgrade. But the few blemishes are enough to wreck havoc with people's confidence.

Having said that, let's not forget Apple's own missteps with iPhone releases. Antennagate? Due to antennagate, Consumer Reports had to warn people against buying it. And this is "finished" hardware and software released to the public.

The 4S had battery issues too which required a software patch (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/...ne-4sios-5-battery-problem-promises-fix/15997). Again, the patch came post-release.

Apple recently released an update (again, post-release) for a battery fix with their Macs too (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/0...updated-with-security-and-battery-life-fixes/). I know, I got the update on my Air.

----------

I think in general early adopters get it worst no matter what.

Precisely my point.

I guess it's good Google knows this now with pre-release software/hardware than later when it's out to the public. Google has an opportunity to fix this before release...

digital.l0gic

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2012
EDIT: Mods, feel free to collapse this to the current massive Nexus 4 thread later on, if you wish.

According to Reddit, these are, yet unpublished, new benchmarks from Anandtech with new (but final?) Nexus 4 software. Not even sure what the benchmarks actually mean, but they fare much better http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/12rk7s/anandtech_have_run_new_nexus_4_benchmarks_which/

Here's the GLBenchmark post by Anandtech:
http://www.glbenchmark.com/resultsoflogin.jsp?login=anandtech&benchmark=glpro25

----------

And here's GSMArena's final battery test for the LG Optimus G:

31 FPS for 1080p!! this is unheard of!!

I knew it was a software issue...in fact some of the review sites had screenshots of the Nexus4 they were reviewing..and there was a "system update available" icon right there on the notification bar!.

a phone less than half the price of an iphone 5 beating it handily on performance.

Btw, a couple of weeks ago I had the chance to try the phone out (thanks to a Googler), and I can say it is probably the best designed phone I have handled. And yes..it feels much more natural on the hand than the Iphone 5 and the build is very solid. Amazingly ergonomic and the materiel prevents any slipping. It's an amazing phone. I'll get it in a heartbeat if not for the fact I have the GNex already.

Oh also (dont quote me on it) the Googler who allowed me to test the phone also mentioned that there is a "possibility" that there might be other variations (more storage, LTE..even though he didn't mention them explicitly)in the future. Imagine this phone with LTE! And also he mentioned that Google is looking for user feedback/suggestions.

PS: edited to add

The screen curves on the sides...and as the verge mentioned, its as if its melted. I found this an amazingly convenient thing as the side swipes on the phone are now effortless(In other phones the thumb would come into contact with the rigid side of the phone...however in the N4 the thumb just slides in due to the curve)

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
31 FPS for 1080p!! this is unheard of!!

I knew it was a software issue...in fact some of the review sites had screenshots of the Nexus4 they were reviewing..and there was a "system update available" icon right there on the notification bar!.

a phone less than half the price of an iphone 5 beating it handily on performance.

Btw, a couple of weeks ago I had the chance to try the phone out (thanks to a Googler), and I can say it is probably the best designed phone I have handled. And yes..it feels much more natural on the hand than the Iphone 5 and the build is very solid. It's an amazing phone. I'll get it in a hearbeat if not for the fact I have the GNex already.

Oh also (dont quote me on it) the Googler who allowed me to test the phone also mentioned that there is a "possibility" that there might be other variations (more storage, LTE..even though he didn't mention them explicitly)in the future. Imagine this phone with LTE!

There was a rumor, also from a Googler, that said 32GB storage is coming later on.

There was also a rumor that carrier specific versions were coming later on too, with LTE in tow, I'd have to assume. Historically, Nexus devices go to the carriers later down the line ('cept for Tmobile). Wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be true.

nba1341

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
I'll end up getting one if my phone ever breaks since I am on T-mobile and on value plan

Hopefully a 32gb will be out sometime next year

digital.l0gic

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2012
There was a rumor, also from a Googler, that said 32GB storage is coming later on.

There was also a rumor that carrier specific versions were coming later on too, with LTE in tow, I'd have to assume. Historically, Nexus devices go to the carriers later down the line ('cept for Tmobile). Wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be true.

Oh also another rather shocking info i learned during that conversation was that the Android team initially only planned to release a 8gb version! :eek: The 16 GB version was only an afterthought as someone in the team supposedly said "some blogs are speculating 16 gb and 32 gb versions as well". Apparently the Android team keeps abreast of most tech blogs, and they are on the lookout for stuff people comment/want.

Hopefully if there is a big enough demand for 32 gb they might include it. And hopefully LTE too (one can wish :D)

PS: I asked "why the low storage options" and the answer I got was that Google wants people to store their data in the cloud. I pointed out that a lot of people have data caps on their phone plans and the Googler did accept (and this is when he mentioned the "future possibilities") that is a valid point

----------

Here's another good review for those interested:

http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-nexus-4-review

Great review! thanks for posting the link

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
hate to tell you guys but the reviewer did not get a software update.

The reviewer ran the benchmarks by putting the phone in a freezer! I **** you not.

the s4 pro soc by qualcomm looks like a POS. A complete and utter fail. Maybe they will make a rev2 to fix?

1. thermal throttling. Now i'm not sure if other chips do this but ive never heard of it. 1 review of the Optimus G noted the phone appeared to be throttling during playing some games which caused skips in the framerate. Very Worrying tbh. A beast chip that cant run full power for any length of time? oh dear

2. In reviews the nexus 4 battery life has been terrible almost half of iphone 5. The LG optimus G has this "eco mode". By enabling eco mode it appears to disable or down clock the cores on the gpu. It caused battery life to be increased by 5 fold. That's an LG feature and they say because nexus 4 is pure google you wont get that feature on it.

so by the looks of things qualcomm has produce a new beast chip which has terrible battery life and cant run flat out for any period of time. If this isnt fixed lg/google can ram their nexus tbh. And i really wanted one

Asus padfone 2 also uses this chip. Be very interested if it suffers the same issues

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Yup. Bad turn of events for the Nexus 4. This thermal throttling thing can be a huge problem.

Could be Google's "antennagate." Thermalgate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.