Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:49 PM   #1
eklof
macrumors member

New optical out behaviour with the newer minis

Hi,
I use the mini as HTPC and have a receiver with optical input. My old 2007 mac mini booted up and immediately after bootup the receiver switched from analog to optical in the display. And then stayed that way all the time.

The new and shiny 2012 mac mini behaves slightly different. It seem to stay analog until there is something playing, then there is a 1-2 second lag until the receiver switched over to optical and start sounding

I assume this is by design, but why? Must be mW to save so power saving can't be it. I can probably live with it but I would rather activate it all the time.

Does anyone know anything about this?
eklof is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:23 PM   #2
philipma1957
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklof View Post
Hi,
I use the mini as HTPC and have a receiver with optical input. My old 2007 mac mini booted up and immediately after bootup the receiver switched from analog to optical in the display. And then stayed that way all the time.

The new and shiny 2012 mac mini behaves slightly different. It seem to stay analog until there is something playing, then there is a 1-2 second lag until the receiver switched over to optical and start sounding

I assume this is by design, but why? Must be mW to save so power saving can't be it. I can probably live with it but I would rather activate it all the time.

Does anyone know anything about this?
i use a usb dac sorry
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Tags
optical mac mini spdif