Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abeckman702

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
When I am connected to Wifi everything works great, however when I want to switch to ethernet, I turn off Airport and connect the network cable. The symbol for ethernet stays red and only turns yellow then green to obtain an IP via DHCP after putting the system to sleep and waking it back up. After it obtains and IP, it works perfect on ethernet. Has anyone else experienced the same thing? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
So if works. You are saying it bothers you that it's not more convenient?

Try this: Don't do anything to airport. (1)Turn Off WIFI at the MBP. (2)THEN plug the ethernet cable, give it a few seconds between actions, don't be impatience.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
So if works. You are saying it bothers you that it's not more convenient?

Try this: Don't do anything to airport. (1)Turn Off WIFI at the MBP. (2)THEN plug the ethernet cable, give it a few seconds between actions, don't be impatience.

no. hes saying it DOESNT work until he has to put the mbp to sleep and wake it up.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I think there's a setting to set ethernet first in the order of using networks.

I use wifi in my living room, and then simply close the lid and go to the other room with ethernet and plug that in when I want to use the faster connection. There's no need to turn off airport or wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.