Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:15 PM   #51
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

I prefer good old fashioned print comics generally, with the odd digital graphic novel
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:14 PM   #52
Rot'nApple
macrumors 65816

Holy Bat Crap!
/
/
Rot'nApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:15 PM   #53
portishead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0me View Post
Yeah. Too bad we didn't have Internet and lightweight tablet PCs with crazy specs.
I think we did have internet at home around that time. Compuserve or aol maybe. But yeah, these kids have it good today!
portishead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:21 PM   #54
LizKat
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Q View Post
I might go back to reading comics regularly!
Beats watching Faux Snooze for laughs, I'm psyched up too! Haven't read comic books since I ran out of younger brothers underfoot.
LizKat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:00 PM   #55
peeaanuut
Banned

Send a message via AIM to peeaanuut
Quote:
Originally Posted by portishead View Post
I think we did have internet at home around that time. Compuserve or aol maybe. But yeah, these kids have it good today!
eworld maybe?
peeaanuut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:50 PM   #56
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeaanuut View Post
eworld maybe?
Back in 1991, there was basically AOL for DOS (in the US), CompuServe, and a couple of others.
With a top of the line 14.4kbps modem, it'd take approximately 7 hours (!) to download one copy of a comic, which would instantly fill up your brand new hard drive.
Today I could download a few thousand comics in a couple of minutes -and wirelessly- on a tablet thinner than a book.
How times have changed...
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:52 PM   #57
whatever
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Programmer View Post
So the days of collecting comic books in hope they will someday increase in value are over. There will never be another first edition of anything that a collector will want. So it goes I guess...
As a long time comic collector (I spend on average $300 a month), I can tell you that the addition of digital comics will only increase the value of certain comics.

If the comic audience grows via digital, the publishers will continue to release the print versions, but the runs will be smaller making their value increase. So while the non-collector will be buying the digital copy and trade paper backs, the collector will be getting the print version.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:18 AM   #58
japanime
macrumors 65816

This is great news not only for Apple and DC, but also small publishing companies — including mine — that also have comics (or, in my company's case, manga) in the iBookstore. It increases the likelihood that comics fans will discover our titles while browsing the store for titles by the big publishers.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:22 AM   #59
xkmxkmxlmx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleisntpefect View Post
YAWN

Seriously, who reads comics in 2012? How many times can Superman die, then return to life?
I know you're just a troll (as your name suggests), but I will bite with a simple fact. 3 out of the top 5 highest grossing movies this year have been based on comic book characters. I am sure a good percentage of these viewers are also reading the comic.

Also, wake up and grab some culture. There is an exciting world out there that isn't delivered by your video game system.
xkmxkmxlmx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:37 AM   #60
Xiroteus
macrumors 6502a

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
It's funny, all these comments. DC Comics and Marvel and tons of other publishers have been selling digital versions of their comics on Comixology and other platforms for a while now. There is no "embracing the future".
It appears many people are not aware there have been digital editions for awhile now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4jasontv View Post
I can't wait until I have kids and I can sell my iPad comics to help pay for their tuition.
Buy or collecting anything with the intention of it increasing in value so be very so-so. I have a bit of an issue with digital comics, it leaves no room to give away, trade, sell if one wishes to plus the pricing is questionable. Personally I am just a reader, however being just a reader I cannot say I mind finding out that comic I bought is now worth fifty dollars because it became a hit, I can sell the lot, buy the trade if I want and that the rest.

Of late I noticed how much Walking Dead issue one is going for, I would have bought a pile of those. It looks like I rather comics be worth more as a reader then a collector because if I am collection I likely rather not be tempted to sell unless that is not an issue then it can be cool having some rare books. As a reader I surely do not mind if any random issue becomes valuable, I just want to read them so even breaking even would be great instead of the insane drop they currently have.
Xiroteus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:53 AM   #61
JimDeGuz
macrumors newbie

Hello!

I've been an avid comic book reader since I was 10. I have a local comic shop I go to every Wednesday. I look forward to it and it still gives me a thrill to read them. I always get the hard copy and sometimes download the free digital ones that come with Marvel's line. I don't know why DC doesn't include that on at least some books. But my point really is those digital files will be worthless in the future. Imagine Action Comics #1 in digital format!

I don't know how people CAN'T read comics when the biggest movies in the past few years have been about comic book heroes. Those same people will complain that they have to wait years to get to a new movie when their heroes' stories go on every month. All they have to do is go to a comic shop or even Barnes and Noble who carry a lot of mainstream titles! The books will always be canon and the movies will always be a nice way to bring those drawings to life.
JimDeGuz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:36 AM   #62
Samuriajackon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by portishead View Post
This would have been awesome for me in 1991.
They need subscription based pricing. Its too much to keep up with several series on a one-time buy plan...
-iPhone 4s
Samuriajackon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:47 AM   #63
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaoso View Post
Yeah but compared to some companies who say screw it, who cares about giving our customers a good digital experience, this is nice to hear every once in a while.
Seeing the list of publishers on Comixology, I'm not sure there's really a lot who think like you've just said.

And frankly, iBook to me is "screw it, who cares about giving our customers a good digital experience". The iBookstore is not a good digital experience, it's DRM'ed, single-vendor, single-platform, lock-in.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:55 AM   #64
garybUK

Quote:
Seeing the list of publishers on Comixology, I'm not sure there's really a lot who think like you've just said.

And frankly, iBook to me is "screw it, who cares about giving our customers a good digital experience". The iBookstore is not a good digital experience, it's DRM'ed, single-vendor, single-platform, lock-in.
All the e-book's are like that... the only the difference is Amazon provide kindle app's for multi platforms.

They will soon realise, like music, that non-drm is the way forward; it's harder to scan a book than rip a CD; but still ...

I just wish Apple would make a reader for the mac desktop, retina MBP's would be great for this.
garybUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:42 AM   #65
SpyderBite
macrumors 65816

Still waiting for publishers to offer series bundles via the app vs their websites. Dark Horse has it in their app now, but the other publishers haven't caught up yet.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:54 AM   #66
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochyandkaren View Post
Heavy Metal magazine (former Metal Hurlant), HellBoy or anything by Dave McKean, Serpieri, Vertigo
NO Marvel or DC comics.
I would die to get Heavy Metal (and its French counterpart) on iBooks. I have all the original HM mags.

A little too adult for Apple though?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:59 AM   #67
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybUK View Post
All the e-book's are like that... the only the difference is Amazon provide kindle app's for multi platforms.
You chose to ignore the "single-vendor, single-platform" part of my post. That was an AND proposition there, not an OR. iBook is a bad experience because it's DRM'ed, AND single vendor, AND single platform, AND only exists to promote vendor lock-in to Apple's ecosystem.

At least with Comixology, all I need is a web browser.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:17 AM   #68
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Quote:

I'm not talking specifically comics. I mean an example is CBS. ABC and NBC have apps to watch their shows for free (with ads of course). CBS doesn't. ABC and NBC are on Hulu. CBS isn't. Although they aren't obligated to do either of those, it would increase the customer's digial experience. (Plus CBS would probably profit from ad money)
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:28 AM   #69
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaoso View Post
I'm not talking specifically comics.
Ok. Stay on-topic though.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:45 AM   #70
OMN
Banned

ComiXology

I been using
ComiXology On iPhone and iPad its got more then just DC books and features like .99 marvel mondays i think its just limiting what books you can read i am just offering an alternative if you or anyone is thinking to get into or back into comic books
OMN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:19 AM   #71
extricated
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0me View Post
Back in 1991, there was basically AOL for DOS (in the US), CompuServe, and a couple of others.
With a top of the line 14.4kbps modem, it'd take approximately 7 hours (!) to download one copy of a comic, which would instantly fill up your brand new hard drive.
Today I could download a few thousand comics in a couple of minutes -and wirelessly- on a tablet thinner than a book.
How times have changed...
Awesome to ponder isn't it?

I remember getting a new computer in the mid-90's and decided to fork over the money to upgrade my HARD DRIVE from 4 to 8 GB.
One of my friends was like, "Why would you ever need that much space? Are you going to download encyclopedias?"

It's great that more and more digital titles are making the leap.
extricated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:44 AM   #72
PeterQVenkman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassfeeder View Post
mega nerds rejoice.....
Now imagine a site devoted to rumors about electronics coming out. That's some real nerd juice. It could even have articles about the private lives of the executives!

Quote:
You chose to ignore the "single-vendor, single-platform" part of my post. That was an AND proposition there, not an OR. iBook is a bad experience because it's DRM'ed, AND single vendor, AND single platform, AND only exists to promote vendor lock-in to Apple's ecosystem.

At least with Comixology, all I need is a web browser.
Amen to that.
PeterQVenkman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:05 AM   #73
xforce11
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuriajackon View Post
They need subscription based pricing. Its too much to keep up with several series on a one-time buy plan...
I so agree. I currently have subscriptions to Batman, Batman & Robin, Nightwing and Justice League. If they offered subscription based pricing I'd gladly switch over to digital and save space in my house.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:11 AM   #74
peeaanuut
Banned

Send a message via AIM to peeaanuut
Quote:
Originally Posted by extricated View Post
Awesome to ponder isn't it?

I remember getting a new computer in the mid-90's and decided to fork over the money to upgrade my HARD DRIVE from 4 to 8 GB.
One of my friends was like, "Why would you ever need that much space? Are you going to download encyclopedias?"

It's great that more and more digital titles are making the leap.
haahaa yeah, I remember those days. GBs were rich mans things. lol.
peeaanuut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:52 AM   #75
Mactendo
macrumors 6502

Check out a free NARR8 app, especially their Jam comics, it's a coolest mix between comics and animation! This is how comics should be done on the iPad in the 21st century.
Mactendo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion