Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:20 PM   #1
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Question Which cellular, Verizon vs AT&T

Are these facts true?

Verizon you can "Tether", or is that "HotSpot", your cellular connection for no extra fee or effort. (AT&T is not as easy and/or extra cost)

Verizon has unlocked GSM, easy to switch to AT&T, only loose LTE.

Verizon has better LTE coverage.

Can use Sprint.

Verizon iPad better to use international.

thanks
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:06 PM   #2
kevroc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
Are these facts true?

Verizon you can "Tether", or is that "HotSpot", your cellular connection for no extra fee or effort. (AT&T is not as easy and/or extra cost)

Can use Sprint.

thanks
Tethering aka Hotspot:
Verizon included in all plans.
AT&T in $50 and up Plans

Both are unlocked

Coverage depends on are, Verizon better overall for LTE but really depends on where you live.

International
Probably AT&T wins as their sims are more swappable. Seems to be a problem with Verizon sims getting de-authorized once you let service laps on them. Not the same with AT&T.
kevroc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:09 PM   #3
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
Are these facts true?

Can use Sprint.

thanks
You can indeed use the hotspot capability on a Verizon iPad.

You can pop in an AT&T sim into your Verizon iPad but you will not have LTE. (This is not as a straightforward process as you may assume however.)

Verizon has better LTE coverage than AT&T without a doubt, but what matters is the coverage in the area in which you are using the iPad.

Both versions can be used internationally.

If you buy data on the Verizon iPad and then cancel the plan for 5 months or more, your sim will be permanently disabled. You may need to go on ebay to get a replacement if you want a pre-paid plan again. If you go to a Verizon store most likely they will put you on a post paid plan. If that matters.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:51 PM   #4
shenan1982
macrumors 68020

Most people use the iPad in the US (those asking on here)... so why would your primary motivation be the 0.001% when you're using it outside the US?

It's like buying a car that you use to commute to work daily, and buying based on which has the nicest mud flaps that you'll use on that once-every-five-year trip to Yellowstone... ?!?!

Bottom line, chose based on who has the best reception where you live, work, and travel. If you plan to use it on AT&T, don't buy Verizon. If you plan to use it on Verizon, buy the Verizon.

All these questions about "What color should I buy? What service should I buy? What plan should I get?" .... makes this country seem really sad... I know many people in this country rely on the government and others to tell them how to live their lives, but common.
shenan1982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:02 PM   #5
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Even though Verizon doesn't have LTE here whereas AT&T has 100% LTE coverage, I'm still glad I got Verizon because of the 1GB plan that is perfect for my usage and wireless hotspot.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:23 PM   #6
kevroc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
Even though Verizon doesn't have LTE here whereas AT&T has 100% LTE coverage, I'm still glad I got Verizon because of the 1GB plan that is perfect for my usage and wireless hotspot.
That's a big plus in my opinion. It's really nice to have my iPad out and about and know I can still get real time email, web browsing etc. and then tether my laptop if I need something more capable. I don't need a lot of data, I just need to know I can get online if need be.
kevroc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:03 PM   #7
MacMaven
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevroc View Post
Seems to be a problem with Verizon sims getting de-authorized once you let service laps on them. Not the same with AT&T.
More information about the Verizon iPad deactivated SIM issue here:
http://macmavenconsulting.com/blog/s...verizon-ipads/
MacMaven is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad