Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjparfekt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Washington, DC
Title says it all - was looking at Muscle & Fitness on the iPad mini and it was painfully slow to open the magazine, slow to swipe pages at first then slow to go from the table of contents to the article I selected. Even just starting the magazine from the Newstand takes 30 seconds for it to load my already downloaded issues then another 20 seconds to load an individual issue once I've clicked on it.

This is my first experience with Newstand so I don't know if it's normal or slow because I'm using an iPad mini.

I'd love to hear other users experiences.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
My reason for not getting a MINI yet is only 512RAM and a last generation processor, that could be why its having slowdowns. If loading a magazine is slow Id probably point fingers at the 512RAM...

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
My reason for not getting a MINI yet is only 512RAM and a last generation processor, that could be why its having slowdowns. If loading a magazine is slow Id probably point fingers at the 512RAM...

One of the magazine (with retina graphics) that I subscribed to on my iPad 3 has a size up to 770MB for a single issue. I'm not sure if the magazine the OP refers to has any mechanism to reduce RAM usage in non-retina devices, if not, 512MB RAM is not enough.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Newstand seems pretty fast on my Mac Mini.

I was testing it out last night.
Downloaded a few free issues of the Walmart game magazine.

Really cool! Too bad text can't be zoom.

Other than that, it's fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.