Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Guys have any of you done a Cube CPU upgrade with a Sonnet CPU?

If so, does the Cube use the heatsink or a flat fan?

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
I did a Gigadesign installation a few years ago, and I completely second what AtmChm says. Fortunately, the Cube does have a space ready and a power connector, as Apple dithered in the design stages about whether there should be a fan.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
There is a report on xlr8yourmac with pictures.

Thanks guys

I think I need to get a new fan for the Cube, my BF (yes I'm a girl...!) lost the Cube stuff and the box.

Do any of you guys have a fan or recommendations of how to get one? Thank you so much.

AtmChm

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
WI
Thanks guys

I think I need to get a new fan for the Cube, my BF (yes I'm a girl...!) lost the Cube stuff and the box.

Do any of you guys have a fan or recommendations of how to get one? Thank you so much.
You can go for one of two sizes: a 15 mm fan will easily fit in the space provided for a fan in the cube, but they generally push less air and/or are more noisy since they have to operate at a higher rpm to move the same amount of air as a larger fan. A 25 mm fan will be a tight fit, but generally will be less noisy.

I put the Noctua NF-R8 in two of my Cubes. It's a 25 mm fan and actually has three speed settings controlled via resistors provided with the fan. I run mine at the middle setting, which moves enough air to keep the cube cool, while minimizing the noise produced by the fan. The fan is available at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-R8-...e=UTF8&qid=1352463261&sr=8-10&keywords=noctua

and likely can easily be found at other vendors. For a 15 mm fan, the Panaflow is generally thought to be the best (I have one in a third cube) - quiet and run well, but they are no longer made, so you'd have to look around for a used one. There are lots of other 15 mm fans with varying degrees of reliability.

The other trick here is you will need to power the fan. Most fans will not come with the correct power connector required for the power jack on the VRM. However, most will come with a 4 pin adapter to connect the fan to the CD/DVD molex.

Again, I'd recommend searching the cubeowner website, which has lots of info on fans for the cube.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
You can go for one of two sizes: a 15 mm fan will easily fit in the space provided for a fan in the cube, but they generally push less air and/or are more noisy since they have to operate at a higher rpm to move the same amount of air as a larger fan. A 25 mm fan will be a tight fit, but generally will be less noisy.

I put the Noctua NF-R8 in two of my Cubes. It's a 25 mm fan and actually has three speed settings controlled via resistors provided with the fan. I run mine at the middle setting, which moves enough air to keep the cube cool, while minimizing the noise produced by the fan. The fan is available at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-R8-...e=UTF8&qid=1352463261&sr=8-10&keywords=noctua

and likely can easily be found at other vendors. For a 15 mm fan, the Panaflow is generally thought to be the best (I have one in a third cube) - quiet and run well, but they are no longer made, so you'd have to look around for a used one. There are lots of other 15 mm fans with varying degrees of reliability.

The other trick here is you will need to power the fan. Most fans will not come with the correct power connector required for the power jack on the VRM. However, most will come with a 4 pin adapter to connect the fan to the CD/DVD molex.

Again, I'd recommend searching the cubeowner website, which has lots of info on fans for the cube.

Thanks, Sonnet actually wrote back and said to get their cube fan kit, and asked me specifically if I had a Cube for Sonnet upgrade, which it is. It's the Panaflow fan, right, that comes with the Sonnet CPU upgrade?

AtmChm

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
WI
Thanks, Sonnet actually wrote back and said to get their cube fan kit, and asked me specifically if I had a Cube for Sonnet upgrade, which it is. It's the Panaflow fan, right, that comes with the Sonnet CPU upgrade?
My understanding is that the Panaflow came with the Sonnet upgrade once upon a time, but I don't think the Panaflow has been made for a few years, so I'm not sure what they are including in their kits now. Are they still selling Cube upgrade kits or are you looking at buying a used one?

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
My understanding is that the Panaflow came with the Sonnet upgrade once upon a time, but I don't think the Panaflow has been made for a few years, so I'm not sure what they are including in their kits now. Are they still selling Cube upgrade kits or are you looking at buying a used one?

They have the kit for 29.95. Emailed me today.

AtmChm

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
WI
They have the kit for 29.95. Emailed me today.
Well, that's likely your best option. That fan should have the correct connector for the fan power connector apple included on the VRM. Good luck on your upgrade! The Cube is such a cool Mac, and installing an upgrade makes it more enjoyable to use.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
@ California

Why not ask Sonnet, if they can tell you what exact fan model they use. On the PowerMac G4 towers they used Sunon fans, which are quiet loud (though they said, they took the quietest available at the time...)

If you have the exact model number of the Sonnet fan, you can search for the specs and compare with other fans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.