Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RVdave

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
I'm ready to upgrade my two 3GS iPhones and while I'm a strong fan of Apple products, recent missteps have me questioning my blind loyalty. I'm thinking of getting a new iPhone and a Galaxy, so we can make an intelligent decision next time. Has anyone else done this, and what has your experience been? Thanks

dominion155

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
I'm ready to upgrade my two 3GS iPhones and while I'm a strong fan of Apple products, recent missteps have me questioning my blind loyalty. I'm thinking of getting a new iPhone and a Galaxy, so we can make an intelligent decision next time. Has anyone else done this, and what has your experience been? Thanks

I have not bought them both at the same time, but I have owned both (Bought the galaxy, used it for a month then returned it for Iphone)

In all honesty, the galaxy is a very good phone however in my opinion android is not as smooth as IOS and the phone is way to big for my hands. The Iphone just seems more refined, and more used.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I have an iPhone 4 and a Galaxy S II Skyrocket. The greatest benefit of the iPhone 4 is the battery life, followed by the available apps. The greatest benefit of the SGSII is Google Navigation, available customizations, and microSD support (up to 64GB). Simply my opinion obviously.

pablo7

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2008
LOS ANGELES, CA.
I just ordered a Galaxy Note 2 and I also have an iphone 5 to compare should be here friday. This will be my first Android, I've had every iPhone since the first one should be interesting. Reason I chose to try a Sammy is the quality of the 5 just isn't up to snuff for me, apple seems to have slacked off material-wise, The 5 might be going on craigslist in the near future before it starts to look not as mint as it looked when I first got it. (Black 32gb model) already showing some scuffage.....:apple:

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
I own and iPhone 5 and a Galaxy S3. I love them both but find myself favoring the S3 because of the screen size and the ability to fully customize the OS for my use. Rooting and installing a custom ROM is a must as it truly can be catered to your uses. I use a SIM card adapter to switch between the two. Doesn't hurt that I still have unlimited data.

dthicks20

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
Iphone vs Galaxy S3 LTE

I am a long time iphone user and a longtime fan of apple products and currently use a iphone 4S. However, I was curious about the Galaxy S3 and I did want a larger screen and I liked the idea of a removable memory card up to 64gb which I could access file through as if they were on my computer. I was so anxious to get it and waited patiently for the mail to arrive with my new Galaxy S3.

It finally arrived and I opened the box and it is a nice looking phone with a sharp looking screen. I downloaded the Kies software which is samsungs version of itunes used to update the phone firmware, software, and contacts, music etc.

As a longtime itunes user I found Kies software to be very basic and disappointing and not very user friendly. I was able to update the phone and upload my contacts from my google (gmail account) although a lot of my contact information was deleted and had to be re-entered.

I was now ready to start using the phone. I set up my email account and downloaded my email and downloaded a bunch of apps from the Samsung App store and was ready to go. First thing I missed was the smoothness of the ios software and the crisp clean format of email on the iphone. The email app on the GS3 was very basic and no where near as smooth or aesthetically pleasing as the iphone email.

I also missed the switch on the side of the iphone that puts it in silent mode as you walk into a meeting or restaurant - so convenient. Going back and forth between the different screens and learning all the different buttons and putting up with android software was just so different and lacked the user friendliness of the iphone. Just my opinion but the Android OS sucks!

Within 24 hours I sold my Galaxy S3 to a colleague at work and went back to my iphone 4S. I also ordered an iphone 5 that should be here in a few weeks. If you have never used an iphone then the Galaxy S3 is probably a great phone with lots of great features. However, if you love the iphone IOS I can't imagine you liking Android. Just my opinion, but I am sticking to the iphone from here on out.

Don

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
I've used an iPhone 3G and 4 for the past 4 years. Recently I switched to a Galaxy Note 2 running Jelly Bean. My wife has an iPhone 5 so I use it regularly when her phone is close by.

For 75-80% of what most people use a smartphone for both Android and iOS are going to be very similar. Anybody that is familiar with one OS and goes to the other and makes a true effort to use the phone will have figured out how they work very quickly. 95% of the major apps are available on both platforms. Both iOS 6 on an iPhone 5 and Jelly Bean on newer Android phones are lightning fast to respond. I haven't noticed any lag on my GN2 (nor on my wife's iPhone 5). While I'll agree with the previous poster that I miss not having a volume mute switch like I did on the iPhone, I love having a Menu and Go Back capacitive buttons.

Trying to break it down I'd recommend if you want a larger screen or like the idea of Widgets on your phone, go with Android. If you like being able to sync your music and photos simply with iTunes/iPhoto or aren't interested in spending a little time learning a new platform, stick with iOS.

I'm loving my GN2 but a very big part of it is enjoying something new and different (and the screen size). My wife switched from an EvoShift running Gingerbread to the iPhone 5 and thinks it is the greatest thing ever. Neither iOS nor Android today "suck". They both allow some incredible things to be done from our phones that we have on us at all times.

One final comment about Android. If you've used or spoken with other people who have used older versions of Android (mainly Gingerbread), don't base your decision on that. It would be like talking about the screen of an iPhone and letting somebody tell you that they used the iPhone 3G and didn't really like it much. You need to compare current technology. iPhone screens today are about Retina display and Android today is about ICS/Jelly Bean.

Good luck with your decision and I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever phone you chose.

RVdave

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
Thanks folks, in addition to providing some good information, I'm pleasantly surprised by the honesty of your responses. When I posted this thread I expected to hear that one phone was junk or the other crap, but there was none of that, only good comparisons. I'm still a little undecided, but based on your input will probably stay with the iPhone. Again, thanks - Dave

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Android has come along way but I recently returned by Galaxy for the iPhone 5. It was too unstable for me. Random reboots a couple times, freeze, application hangs.. In the year I had my iPhone 4S, it never did any of those things. Couldn't be happier with the 5.

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
For me it all comes down to the operating system, nothing out there compares to iOS. its just that good, everything in my house is Apple so it makes cohesion between products function smoother. Syncing is super easy with the Apple ecosystem.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Hehe you gotta give android more than 24 hours! At least a couple of months. It's true, it's not as smooth as iOS. I think they are both equal, they both do different things amazingly well. Try both and go with which you like better, remembering one isn't better than the other it's just what you like. The only sure thing is that people are upset at the handset quality. For the price, it should be rock solid which the 4S is a good example of. I fully expect Apple to be back on top of things either in the current iPhone 5 cycle or the next version.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
it confuses me when people say android isnt as smooth as iOS.

I've got a JB galaxy S3 and it couldnt possibly be smoother. it's just the like iphone 5 in that respect.

so you get a phone as smooth, without all the stupid limitations.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
I had an old 2G iPhone on T-Mobile for a year or 2 (from 2008-2010_)
July 2010 I switched to Sprint and the EVO 4G. I loved that phone. The screen size (4.3" which is 'small' now lol) & that was it.

I actually used the Android OS for about 6-7 months with that EVO.
Honestly - i would NEVER go back to Android.
Sure I hacked the crap out of that EVO. Ran custom ROMs & anything else you could think of.
At the end of the day, it still wasnt as smooth as my old iOS 3.1.3 2G iPhone.

I got out of my Sprint contract due to network issues (long story) and instantly bought an iPhone 4 on ATT (then used the unlimited data hack).
Last year I bought a 4S on release day. This year I bought a 5 on release day.

I DO LOVE the GS3 screen size. I actually played with one last night. I also hate how Android on the GS3 runs.
The GS3 still felt 'laggy' compared to my iPhone 5.

I also like how Apple has a central hub aka iTunes, while Android products have nothing.

Hopefully Apple increases the size of the iphone t a 4.5"-4.8" screen soon.
I dont use my iPhone with 1 hand, so that feature/commercial is useless.

If i were you.....Id stay with he iPhone.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
I've used an iPhone 3G and 4 for the past 4 years. Recently I switched to a Galaxy Note 2 running Jelly Bean. My wife has an iPhone 5 so I use it regularly when her phone is close by.

For 75-80% of what most people use a smartphone for both Android and iOS are going to be very similar. Anybody that is familiar with one OS and goes to the other and makes a true effort to use the phone will have figured out how they work very quickly. 95% of the major apps are available on both platforms. Both iOS 6 on an iPhone 5 and Jelly Bean on newer Android phones are lightning fast to respond. I haven't noticed any lag on my GN2 (nor on my wife's iPhone 5). While I'll agree with the previous poster that I miss not having a volume mute switch like I did on the iPhone, I love having a Menu and Go Back capacitive buttons.

Trying to break it down I'd recommend if you want a larger screen or like the idea of Widgets on your phone, go with Android. If you like being able to sync your music and photos simply with iTunes/iPhoto or aren't interested in spending a little time learning a new platform, stick with iOS.

I'm loving my GN2 but a very big part of it is enjoying something new and different (and the screen size). My wife switched from an EvoShift running Gingerbread to the iPhone 5 and thinks it is the greatest thing ever. Neither iOS nor Android today "suck". They both allow some incredible things to be done from our phones that we have on us at all times.

One final comment about Android. If you've used or spoken with other people who have used older versions of Android (mainly Gingerbread), don't base your decision on that. It would be like talking about the screen of an iPhone and letting somebody tell you that they used the iPhone 3G and didn't really like it much. You need to compare current technology. iPhone screens today are about Retina display and Android today is about ICS/Jelly Bean.

Good luck with your decision and I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever phone you chose.

This was a very good/informative post. Kudos

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
I've just switched from a galaxy (albeit 2 running ICS) to an iphone5.

The s2 did have the ability to mute; long press of the power button and it presented you with a list of options.

I'm sad to see it go as its been a good phone and actually let down by the software, for me in particular , kies. As that left me without a phone for over 10 days earlier in the year after the ICS upgrade mess I decided it was time for a change.

The biggest thing for me will be the swift key keyboard. Apples autocorrect either gets in the way for me or I turn it off and type like my young daughter! But that's the price I pay in terms of flexibility. At the end of the day, I have an apple store in the city where I work so someone close at hand if need be. I don't have the time to root my phone for that perfect customisation, but have seen some fabulous setups for people who have.

As always YMMV..

dk206

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
London
it confuses me when people say android isnt as smooth as iOS.

I've got a JB galaxy S3 and it couldnt possibly be smoother. it's just the like iphone 5 in that respect.

so you get a phone as smooth, without all the stupid limitations.

^this^

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.