Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spdamf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
So I have a 2008 Macbook Pro and 2008 Imac... and I'm looking to upgrade. First of all just wanted to point out that I am a video editor/videographer as my main profession (Programs: Final Cut Pro/Motion/After Effects) and dj on the side and use programs like Ableton Live and Logic. I was planning on selling my current setup: 2008 Macbook Pro and 2008 Imac to be able to purchase:

Options:
A) 2012 13" Macbook Pro with a Thunderbolt Display. I love the size of the 13" Macbook because it's portable. I find the 15" to be a bit to big to lug around, plus it's still too big to fit in certain corners when I'm dj'ing at clubs. It's nice to have a smaller setup that can fit in corners instead of always having to find a place for my 15" to fit. Also I can purchase one for $999 for the macbook pro and $799 for the thunderbolt display. However my concern is will I be able to use it with Final Cut Pro and Motion. or will the graphics card not be sufficent enough. I would get the Thunderbolt display to use with it for editing and graphics work.

B) I found a really good deal on a used 2011 Macbook Pro 15" specs below at Frys' Electronics:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827023-REG/Apple_MD318LL_A_15_4_MacBook_Pro_Notebook.html

This is a store return for $1149. They say no refunds or warranty coverage.. as is and 15 day return with restocking fee of 15%. It's in pristine condition. So I know this would work better with Final Cut Pro or Motion, but like I said I would prefer a smaller size like the 13", but am worried about the performance of the graphics card. Also are there any options for adding a warranty to it if it is a store return?

C) Just keep my current setup and upgrade hard drives to SSD

Sorry for the long drawn out post, but any advice you can give me would be much apprciated as I am torn... thanks in advance

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
You're telling me when you dj that you can't fit 2 inches more in these so called "corners"? Doesn't make sense to me.

Why not get a refurb 13" or 15" from apple as they come with warranties.

spdamf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
You're telling me when you dj that you can't fit 2 inches more in these so called "corners"? Doesn't make sense to me.

Why not get a refurb 13" or 15" from apple as they come with warranties.

No.. just that the 13" is more convenient to fit in tighter spaces. Some clubs don't have laptop stands. so it's just more convenient to have a smaller laptop. May not make sense til you are in that situation.

pbmagnet4

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
I do all the same things you listed above using a 2012 i5 13" with a 240gb SSD and 8gb of 1867mhz RAM, and is more than sufficient for my needs. Although instead of the TB display I just use a mini dvi to hdmi cord connecting to my monitor.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
No.. just that the 13" is more convenient to fit in tighter spaces. Some clubs don't have laptop stands. so it's just more convenient to have a smaller laptop. May
not make sense til you are in that situation.

No it makes sense now lol. I was confused at first, sorry :)

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Get the new 13" model. I wouldn't take my chances on the returned, no warranty unit from Fry's. Seems a little risky.

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2011
If the 15" is high res I'd get the 15". I used to have a 13" for using Serato and Logic on and since I switched to a 15" high res I find everything way better. Much easier to make beats on a 15 and the quad core processor is worth it

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
Quad core processor would be a real benefit, especially for video editing.
This 15" MBP is much more powerful. And 15" is excellent display size for FCP X.

Also, this model is rather futureproof: thanks to high-end CPU, it is possible to upgrade with 1600 MHz RAM -
according to specifications, 32 GB at max! :eek: (but 16GB modules are not available yet :p
only 8GB, so at the moment you could have 16GB)

You wouldn't lose some significant portability - these 2 inches wouldn't bring a lot of extra weight.

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
A cMBP-13 will work, but the cMBP-15 will be significantly better, even if it's a year older. In the comparison you've proposed you'll be trading off USB 3.0 for discrete graphics. Discrete graphics would be more important to me, particularly if it's going to be your only computer and driving a 27" TBD.

As for the price of the cMBP-15 that you're seeing, you'll do better off on CL if you wait and watch. I picked up a 2011 2.0 i7 with a retail copy of Win7 for $900.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.