Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:21 AM   #1
in2tech
macrumors member

iPad M and No Cell Phone!

Let me start off by saying I am not a big cell phone person and my entire large family and extended family all have an Apple devices, iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, MacBook Air's, etc...
So I am planning on testing if I can just use the iPad M for communicating with the family members through FREE iMessage and Message in the Apple eco system. My only question if can I text the few none family members not on a Apple device easily? And is it Free or would use the data plan. This might only happen a few text a month to non Apple users. If this works no cell phone contract and a significant savings with a $20.00 monthly plan on Verizon!

Have you thought about doing this or trying it?

Remember I said I am not a big cell phone person at all and only use it when I absolutely have too when out and about! And that's no very often

Last edited by in2tech; Nov 9, 2012 at 12:21 PM.
in2tech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:25 AM   #2
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

I got a galaxy note 2 for this reason. I don't talk lots but still need a phone and can't live like a hermit, so this was the next best thing. Still kept my ipad though, nothing could replace that.
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:15 AM   #3
in2tech
macrumors member

And for the few times needed how much bandwidth would FaceTime use?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:43 AM   #4
AlvinNguyen
macrumors 6502a

I have unlimited data on my ipad and I want to do this with the mini. Not sure how convenient : feasible this is but ill let you know once the mini LTE comes out
AlvinNguyen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:23 AM   #5
silvetti
macrumors 6502

Get a data plan, get MobileVOIP from AppStore, charge an account with credit with a VOIP service and done.

Still not free calls sms, but prices are VERY low on some of the VOIP services.

I use actionvoip (VERY CHEAP!)
silvetti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:19 AM   #6
Aspasia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2tech View Post
Let me start off by saying I am not a big cell phone person and my entire large family and extended family all have an Apple devices, iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, MacBook Air's, etc...
So I am planning on testing if I can just use the iPad M for communicating with the family members through FREE iMessage and Message in the Apple ego system. My only question if can I text the few none family members not on a Apple device easily? And is it Free or would use the data plan. This might only happen a few text a month to non Apple users. If this works no cell phone contract and a significant savings with a $20.00 monthly plan on Verizon!

Remember I said I am not a big cell phone person at all and only use it when I absolutely have too when out and about! And that's no very often
Never tried Messages because I use TextNow, an app which allows texting to any device (including your laptop or desktop computer - you just go to texnow.com and sign into your account)

As a test, just sent a text from my iPod touch 5G to my TracFone. Arrived immediately. TextNow also allows you to send photos.

My family doesn't use smart phones; iPods or iPads and prepaid cell phones. Works great for us and saves a ton of $$$$.
Aspasia is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:39 AM   #7
Mrg02d
Banned

I've tried it. It's not as easy as it seems. Plenty of times I found data connection too weak to use when cell service was strong.
Mrg02d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:47 AM   #8
wlossw
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2tech View Post
So I am planning on testing if I can just use the iPad M for communicating with the family members through FREE iMessage and Message in the Apple ego system. My only question if can I text the few none family members not on a Apple device easily? And is it Free or would use the data plan. This might only happen a few text a month to non Apple users. If this works no cell phone contract and a significant savings with a $20.00 monthly plan on Verizon!

I had the same thought, but I like the idea of being able to call 911 or the odd business.

I don't know if you meant "EGO" or "ECO" system. I do like your use of "EGO" though...
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:24 PM   #9
in2tech
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlossw View Post
I don't know if you meant "EGO" or "ECO" system. I do like your use of "EGO" though...
Corrected meant to type "eco", but "ego" I guess could work too
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:34 PM   #10
Awakener
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlossw View Post
I had the same thought, but I like the idea of being able to call 911 or the odd business.

Freudian slip?
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad