Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:47 AM   #1
snaps042
macrumors member

MPEGStreamclip and Vimeo ...

Hello All,

For the past 3 months or so, I have been editing in FCP and producing stand-alone files of my clips. They are then converted to mp4 via MPEGStreamclip;

H.264
100%
Limit Data Rate ON
5000Kbps
Interlaced Scaling OFF
Deinterlace Video ON
*Make MP4*

Firstly, if I use a long-ish title for the clip when exporting my .mov from FCP, the end of the title of often changed by FCP. For example;

Deep Space Nine by Transglobal Traffikers

becomes

Deep Space Nine b#791256

The 780Mb .mov file is put into MPEGStreamclip and renamed for export, the above settings are selected and it appears as a 32Mb mp4. Then, once uploading to Vimeo, the site tells me that "This video's datarate is only 4242kbps, which is lower than what we recommend and means your video might not look as nice as it should. For HD video, we suggest you use a higher datarate, typically 5000kbps"

Err, I was?

Is anyone suffering from Vimeo-itis today? Is the site having a post-election senior moment?

I'd be interested to know what I'm doing wrong exactly ...?!

Thanks for your time.
snaps042 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:22 AM   #2
JasonA
macrumors member

Maybe MPEG Streamclip is reporting the data rate for the whole stream (video AND audio combined) as 5000? Then, when Vimeo looks at the file, it's only concerned with the bitrate of just the video stream, which is less than 5000 when you subtract the amount used for audio.

I haven't experienced this particular issue with Vimeo, so this is just a guess. If you can you run your mp4 through MediaInfo, it will tell you what the exact data rate for video and audios tracks separately. Or even MPEG Streamclip will give you this info if you open the video and do a Get Info. Also, the file name truncation when you export out of FCP is normal, and you can just rename the file in the Finder afterward.

Probably the easiest solution is to just re-encode a new MP4 with the bit rate set higher. 32MB is nothing, so upping the bitrate some would most likely still result in a very reasonable file size.
JasonA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:48 AM   #3
joshualee90
macrumors member

5000kbps you are setting in Mpeg Streamclip is the max bitrate that will be utilized. The video averages just below it which is normal. 5000kbps is pretty low quality. Try bumping up that to 15000. I know vimeo suggest 5000 but camera acquisition is usually higher that 15000 so you are still compressing it.
joshualee90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video