Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:07 AM   #1
koyeung
macrumors newbie

Should we return MacMini2012?

two issues:
1. snowy screens, black screen
2. poor colour on HDMI display

Given macbook air (using HD graphics) still have the colour problem (see thread:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/18825794#18825794
(first post: Jul 4, 2012) ) and no official words from Apple, I don't think they are able to fix similar issue for MacMini.
koyeung is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:42 AM   #2
Snowcake
macrumors regular

More problems for the Mac Mini 2012:

3rd issue (OSX makes harddisks dead by default)
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...9#post16252659

http://joernhees.de/blog/2011/09/16/...-cycle-counts/

&

4rd issue (Mac Mini cpu gets 103c (217f) and become simpy unstable!)
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...1#post16252549

If Apple just make the Mac Mini 0.5 Inch larger it was all oke. But no, they had to make it thin.

Even the HDD problem shows how incompetent they are at Apple.
Snowcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:45 AM   #3
Garden4Gods
macrumors member

This is awful from Apple.

I said it before, but God knows what problems the iMacs could have.

Time to start looking at PC's I think
Garden4Gods is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:59 AM   #4
thestickman
macrumors regular

My 2012 Mini is running flawlessly. I installed a ssd in it & it screams! Took the 1 TB drive that came with it, put it inside a USB 3.0 enclosure and run my DAW software without issue.

My older 22" monitor works fine using the thunderbolt port. In a few months I hope to get a 24" hdmi monitor connected to it.

So thankful to have this computer!
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:00 AM   #5
DitteVilladsen
macrumors member

I'm not having the problems, and I think most people are fine. People who don't have problems don't go running off to Google and then start posting in forums.

For perspective I'd go back and read some of the threads from product introductions from years past. There is always something that causes a little panic and turns out to be nothing.
DitteVilladsen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:04 AM   #6
koyeung
macrumors newbie

glad to know you have no problem and it is probably to get proper system after replacement.

May you let us know if your system:
1. mac mini (late 2012)
2. connect to hdmi display via hdmi cable to hdmi port directly

they are common conditions of light color problem.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitteVilladsen View Post
I'm not having the problems, and I think most people are fine. People who don't have problems don't go running off to Google and then start posting in forums.

For perspective I'd go back and read some of the threads from product introductions from years past. There is always something that causes a little panic and turns out to be nothing.

Last edited by koyeung; Nov 8, 2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:13 AM   #7
MattZani
macrumors 68020

The HDMI issue is annoying if you NEED to use it, if not, buy a MDP-HDMI cable.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:19 AM   #8
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyeung View Post
glad to know you have no problem and it is probably to get proper system after replacement.

May you let us know if your system:
1. mac mini (late 2012)
2. connect to hdmi display via hdmi cable to hdmi port directly

thanks
Both of my Mini's were perfect out of the box. One was purchased last week, one this week. Both are connected to LCD TVs via HDMI, both work perfectly with the displays. Reading through these forums gives people the impression rhat every device is inherently flawed. While statistically some will be, it's not a general rule.
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:23 AM   #9
koyeung
macrumors newbie

You may know our feeling if you find hdmi monitor not working as expected with the hdmi port. (i.e. you could hook one monitor without buying expensive apple display )

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestickman View Post
My 2012 Mini is running flawlessly. I installed a ssd in it & it screams! Took the 1 TB drive that came with it, put it inside a USB 3.0 enclosure and run my DAW software without issue.

My older 22" monitor works fine using the thunderbolt port. In a few months I hope to get a 24" hdmi monitor connected to it.

So thankful to have this computer!

----------

I know the answer then. We should ask for replacement and not all batches of mac mini has such problem.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloponies View Post
Both of my Mini's were perfect out of the box. One was purchased last week, one this week. Both are connected to LCD TVs via HDMI, both work perfectly with the displays. Reading through these forums gives people the impression rhat every device is inherently flawed. While statistically some will be, it's not a general rule.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:17 AM   #10
jdryyz
macrumors regular

What is Apple's time window for return on the mini, anyway? That will be how much time I give them to come up with fixes for the video problems.
jdryyz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:24 AM   #11
Garden4Gods
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdryyz View Post
What is Apple's time window for return on the mini, anyway? That will be how much time I give them to come up with fixes for the video problems.
You have 14 days to return, no questions asked, but if there is a fault with the unit you'll obviously be able to get it replaced/repaired under warranty.
Garden4Gods is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:33 AM   #12
Darby67
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcake View Post
More problems for the Mac Mini 2012:

3rd issue (OSX makes harddisks dead by default)
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...9#post16252659

http://joernhees.de/blog/2011/09/16/...-cycle-counts/

&

4rd issue (Mac Mini cpu gets 103c (217f) and become simpy unstable!)
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...1#post16252549

If Apple just make the Mac Mini 0.5 Inch larger it was all oke. But no, they had to make it thin.

Even the HDD problem shows how incompetent they are at Apple.
Troll bravado.
Darby67 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:40 AM   #13
fig
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden4Gods View Post
This is awful from Apple.

I said it before, but God knows what problems the iMacs could have.

Time to start looking at PC's I think
Overreact much?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:50 AM   #14
Garden4Gods
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fig View Post
Overreact much?
Other than thinking the world is going to end every time it rains, no
Garden4Gods is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:10 AM   #15
jdryyz
macrumors regular

What a coincidence. I just hit 14 days today.

My concern is how long my patience will last. I've read reports about these problems with the Intel HD 4000 graphics going back well before the latest minis arrived. I'm not so confident right now that Apple will come up with a solution quickly.

Quote:
You have 14 days to return, no questions asked, but if there is a fault with the unit you'll obviously be able to get it replaced/repaired under warranty.
jdryyz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:15 AM   #16
teohyc
macrumors regular

Now I know why my HDMI output looks sucky even after calibrating.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:18 AM   #17
Team Timm
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by teohyc View Post
Now I know why my HDMI output looks sucky even after calibrating.
Get a better monitor?
Team Timm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:23 AM   #18
Snowcake
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Timm View Post
Get a better monitor?
Hey says HDMI input. He implies that the other inputs have good quality.
Snowcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:24 AM   #19
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
You may know our feeling if you find hdmi monitor not working as expected with the hdmi port. (i.e. you could hook one monitor without buying expensive apple display )

thanks
I've read over this line about 3-4 times and I'm not sure what you are getting at. Are you saying that you can only hook an expensive Apple monitor to the Mini since the HDMI port has issues? A cheap Mini-displayport to HDMI (or DVI) adapter fixes the problem. It sounds like there are some issues with the HDMI port, but most likely these are software issues since it doesn't seem to affect all televisions and/or monitors....

I'm not saying you shouldn't get a replacement just that a replacement might not make any difference if it is the drivers for the HDMI port....
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:30 AM   #20
Snowcake
macrumors regular

Quote:
I know the answer then. We should ask for replacement and not all batches of mac mini has such problem.

thanks
Batches? How do you know? Which batches are affected and which not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby67 View Post
Troll bravado.
No, just mad. Ofcourse i am mad. The options of Macs are limited and if they have flaws i am certainly not happy.
Snowcake is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:40 PM   #21
snow blind
macrumors regular

Great. Thought i'd be unaffected... i was wrong. My day old 2012 is doing the snowy jig.
snow blind is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:10 PM   #22
jmhart
macrumors regular

To the OP: I would return it now if I could, you can always buy again once this problem gets fixed. Keep in mind how unresponsive Apple has been to their desktop customers this year. Who knows how long it will take before a fix is released. By then maybe you can pick up the machine as a refurb and save some bucks, or who knows maybe the 2013 Mini will be out by then with a discrete GPU option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloponies View Post
While this may be true, there are enough reports of white level clipping to indicate there *IS* an inherent flaw somewhere in the driver or HDMI compatability with certain devices and apprently it can't be corrected with the color calibration in OS X. Some who are reporting this issue are also indicating this was not a problem for those same HDMI display devices with previous Mini models they've owned, so clearly there *IS* something that needs addressed in the 2012 model.

I'm betting it's a driver issue as Intel GPU drivers have always had little issues here and there (the 23.976 issue comes to mind). I'm just not convinced that both Intel and Apple take the HTPC niche seriously enough to watch for these kinds of issues. If you're going to continue including an HDMI port on your machines, you better make sure they work properly!

The point is that clearly the QA process is slipping somewhere along the line, either at Intel or Apple.

I've heard enough to postpone replacing my MacBook HTPC with a 2012 Mini until this is resolved.

Shame on Apple for sticking their customers with Intel's immature GPU offerings by not giving us the option of a discrete GPU for the 2012 Mini.

Last edited by jmhart; Nov 8, 2012 at 02:21 PM.
jmhart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:16 PM   #23
fig
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Other than thinking the world is going to end every time it rains, no
Well played.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:35 PM   #24
calvol
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhart View Post
To the OP: I would return it now if I could, you can always buy again once this problem gets fixed. Keep in mind how unresponsive Apple has been to their desktop customers this year. Who knows how long it will take before a fix is released. By then maybe you can pick up the machine as a refurb and save some bucks, or who knows maybe the 2013 Mini will be out by then with a discrete GPU option.

While this may be true, there are enough reports of white level clipping to indicate there *IS* an inherent flaw somewhere in the driver or HDMI compatability with certain devices and apprently it can't be corrected with the color calibration in OS X. Some who are reporting this issue are also indicating this was not a problem for those same HDMI display devices with previous Mini models they've owned, so clearly there *IS* something that needs addressed in the 2012 model.

I'm betting it's a driver issue as Intel GPU drivers have always had little issues here and there (the 23.976 issue comes to mind). I'm just not convinced that both Intel and Apple take the HTPC niche seriously enough to watch for these kinds of issues. If you're going to continue including an HDMI port on your machines, you better make sure they work properly!

The point is that clearly the QA process is slipping somewhere along the line, either at Intel or Apple.

I've heard enough to postpone replacing my MacBook HTPC with a 2012 Mini until this is resolved.

Shame on Apple for sticking their customers with Intel's immature GPU offerings by not giving us the option of a discrete GPU for the 2012 Mini.
This is an Intel issue with the HD4000 MRC code (Memory Resource Code) and is happening across PCs and Macs. I'm not hopeful Intel will figure this out after reading the Intel Support forum, which looks like a cluster-F attempt to obfuscate the problem. Intel released MRC1.5 claiming it was fixed, only to have users reporting the same issue with that release and later with v1.6. I'm returning my Mini when it comes in next week, and wait for the next round of Intel chips, maybe they'll get the GPU right in Haswell, but I'm not keeping my fingers crossed. This is why Apple needed a discrete GPU solution for the Mini, and instead of trying to save a few bucks and depending on Intel to finally get it right.
http://communities.intel.com/message/171244
calvol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:46 PM   #25
jmhart
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvol View Post
This is an Intel issue with the HD4000 MRC code (Memory Resource Code) and is happening across PCs and Macs. I'm not hopeful Intel will figure this out after reading the Intel Support forum, which looks like a cluster-F attempt to obfuscate the problem. Intel released MRC1.5 claiming it was fixed, only to have users reporting the same issue with that release and later with v1.6. I'm returning my Mini when it comes in next week, and wait for the next round of Intel chips, maybe they'll get the GPU right in Haswell, but I'm not keeping my fingers crossed. This is why Apple needed a discrete GPU solution for the Mini, and instead of trying to save a few bucks and depending on Intel to finally get it right.
http://communities.intel.com/message/171244
Wow...that thread on Intel's forum was started at the end of September and they still haven't fixed it. Intel needs to stick with CPUs and let the more competent GPU designers do what they do best.

Looks like it's time to hackintosh my old PC that I just replaced with a new PC since Apple took such a ridiculously long time to get the iMac out...out wait, it's still not available. I was hoping I could at least go Mac Mini for my HTPC but the more I learn, the less likely that is.
jmhart is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini