Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:18 AM   #1
brig2221
macrumors regular

iPad 4 is greatness!

My first iPad was an iPad 2, that I waited nearly all day in line at an Apple store to get. My wife, who criticized me something terrible for spending $700 on something she didn't think we needed, has taken over nearly exclusive use of the device over the past year. She has turned into a serious gamer on the iPad, who knew

I decided it was time for me to get my own iPad, as I literally could never use my iPad 2 as my wife was always hogging it. I ordered an iPad mini, and got it delivered last Friday.

Great design, great size, great weight. After using it for a few days though, I came to the conclusion that if I was going to spend money on a new iPad, I wanted to go forward, and that meant getting a Retina screen. So, I took the mini back last night, and now have a beautiful iPad 4 (Black/WiFi/32gb).

First thing I noticed about it was it's weight. It's heavy! Not a fair comparison when judging against the mini, but also noticeably more heavy than my iPad 2. However, nothing to be too concerned about, just an observation really. As far as the increased thickness from the iPad 2, I can barely tell when looking at it, and certainly can't tell when holding it (again, weight is the more noticeable thing). Also, I've never been one of the types to be obsessed with getting devices paper thin anyways.

I am LOVING the retina screen on this device. It's just beautiful, and really shows off the technology on a 9.7" screen. Another thing, moving from using a mini for a week (exclusively) to a full size iPad, feels like I'm looking at a big screen TV. Really weird at how much larger it feels now.

I just ordered the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover as well. Got it for $79 on Amazon (gotta love Prime!). I'm really excited to see how this thing works, and if it can act as a quasi laptop in this configuration.

Overall, I'm am very impressed with the new iPad 4, keeping in mind that I'm coming from an iPad 2. The mini was a great device, and will likely be great for millions of people. However, I'm very glad I decided to make the switch and move to the iPad 4.

Last edited by brig2221; Nov 8, 2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Spelling, Grammar
brig2221 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:35 AM   #2
MrMacBookPro
macrumors 6502

Good post.. I personally like the 4 better than the mini myself.. Looking forward to playing games on my future ipad..
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:06 AM   #3
bigboar
macrumors 6502

I returned my mini and got a 4 yesterday. I gotta say I love it so far!
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:24 AM   #4
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by brig2221 View Post

First thing I noticed about it was it's weight. It's heavy! Not a fair comparison when judging against the mini, but also noticeably more heavy than my iPad 2. However, nothing to be too concerned about, just an observation really. As far as the increased thickness from the iPad 2, I can barely tell when looking at it, and certainly can't tell when holding it (again, weight is the more noticeable thing). Also, I've never been one of the types to be obsessed with getting devices paper thin anyways.
I realize people may be able to perceive the difference, but the weight increase of a 3/4 over a 2 is 52g. That's about the weight of 3 caseless CDs and as a difference vs. the overall weight, it's what, like ~8%?

Congrats, it's a really slick device, enjoying mine even over my previous 3rd gen! The Lightening connector was _almost_ worth the price
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:38 AM   #5
ToomeyND
macrumors 6502

I went through the exact same thing last night at the apple store. I'm waiting to purchase until I sell my iPad 2. I wanted to see the mini, and I was really blown away by it. The lightness of it, it really is the ultimate if you are a book reader (and want a tablet, kindle is best for just books, imo). It is amazingly thin. However, knowing that it has the same guts as my iPad 2 and the screen looked decent. But I picked up the iPad 4 and the text seemed to sit on top of the screen. It was so very clear. That, and the faster processor makes it much more "future-proof." It will be the way I go.

Did you notice a bit of a blue tint on the iPad 4? Each one I picked up seemed blue compared to the mini. This was from comparing books with the white background. Wouldn't stop me from getting it. It almost made it seem "cooler" in the photo editing sense. Just stood out a bit.
ToomeyND is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:41 AM   #6
brig2221
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
I realize people may be able to perceive the difference, but the weight increase of a 3/4 over a 2 is 52g. That's about the weight of 3 caseless CDs and as a difference vs. the overall weight, it's what, like ~8%?

Congrats, it's a really slick device, enjoying mine even over my previous 3rd gen! The Lightening connector was _almost_ worth the price
Yeah, I totally get what you are saying, which is why I tried to qualify my statement noting it wasn't bad. Weird how it does feel noticeably heavier though when broken down in your terms.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToomeyND View Post
I went through the exact same thing last night at the apple store. I'm waiting to purchase until I sell my iPad 2. I wanted to see the mini, and I was really blown away by it. The lightness of it, it really is the ultimate if you are a book reader (and want a tablet, kindle is best for just books, imo). It is amazingly thin. However, knowing that it has the same guts as my iPad 2 and the screen looked decent. But I picked up the iPad 4 and the text seemed to sit on top of the screen. It was so very clear. That, and the faster processor makes it much more "future-proof." It will be the way I go.

Did you notice a bit of a blue tint on the iPad 4? Each one I picked up seemed blue compared to the mini. This was from comparing books with the white background.

I've never noticed Blue or Yellow hues on screens or other smaller types of issues that people complain about. I'm not saying that they aren't real, and that issues aren't there, just that I generally don't notice them unless it's really bad and in your face.

I suppose in this regard, ignorance is bliss
brig2221 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:39 PM   #7
ToomeyND
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I've never noticed Blue or Yellow hues on screens or other smaller types of issues that people complain about. I'm not saying that they aren't real, and that issues aren't there, just that I generally don't notice them unless it's really bad and in your face.

I suppose in this regard, ignorance is bliss
To be honest, it wouldn't stop me at all from getting the 4. It's like tv shopping at best buy. There are always 5 tv's that seem to look better than yours at the store. At home, there is nothing to compare it to, and therefore perfect.

I was literally holding the 4 up to a mini (had the sales rep let me hold theirs), and the color difference was noticeable. How often am I ever going to do that again?
ToomeyND is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:59 PM   #8
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

the heat on the 4 is what stops it from being a must-have device IMO. I love the fact that my ipad 2 never gets warm at all. The 4 is noticeably warm to the touch after moderate use.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:09 PM   #9
brig2221
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352 View Post
the heat on the 4 is what stops it from being a must-have device IMO. I love the fact that my ipad 2 never gets warm at all. The 4 is noticeably warm to the touch after moderate use.
I haven't noticed that yet myself, but I will defintely check for it.

To me, the only things holding back the current iPad 4 from being greatness is it's weight.

I'm betting that Apple moves to a new design for the next iteration of the iPad in a very similar manner to what they did recently with the iPhone 5 and iPad mini.

I'm hopeful they are able to get a similar weight reduction to the iPad as they were to the iPhone 5.
brig2221 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:52 PM   #10
Cockney Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352 View Post
... mine's not.
Cockney Rebel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:55 PM   #11
LucasLee
macrumors newbie

Heat is worst when it is full brightness with auto off, if you turn brightness to half, the heat is significantly lower. If you play 3d games with full brightness under the sun, you will be on fire! Like when you score 3 times in NBA Jam.
LucasLee is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:05 PM   #12
DSTOFEL
macrumors member

Quote:
My first iPad was an iPad 2, that I waited nearly all day in line at an Apple store to get. My wife, who criticized me something terrible for spending $700 on something she didn't think we needed, has taken over nearly exclusive use of the device over the past year. She has turned into a serious gamer on the iPad, who knew

I decided it was time for me to get my own iPad, as I literally could never use my iPad 2 as my wife was always hogging it. I ordered an iPad mini, and got it delivered last Friday.

Great design, great size, great weight. After using it for a few days though, I came to the conclusion that if I was going to spend money on a new iPad, I wanted to go forward, and that meant getting a Retina screen. So, I took the mini back last night, and now have a beautiful iPad 4 (Black/WiFi/32gb).

I am LOVING the retina screen on this device. It's just beautiful, and really shows off the technology on a 9.7" screen. Another thing, moving from using a mini for a week (exclusively) to a full size iPad, feels like I'm looking at a big screen TV. Really weird at how much larger it feels now.

I just ordered the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover as well. Got it for $79 on Amazon (gotta love Prime!). I'm really excited to see how this thing works, and if it can act as a quasi laptop in this configuration.

Overall, I'm am very impressed with the new iPad 4, keeping in mind that I'm coming from an iPad 2. The mini was a great device, and will likely be great for millions of people. However, I'm very glad I decided to make the switch and move to the iPad 4.
You know....I have almost the exact iPad history as you described. Except I had the iPad 1 & my wife had the 2. We both just upgraded. My wife went with the Mini and I opted for the 4. Long story short.....we are both very happy with the choices. I couldn't agree with your comments more on the 4.
DSTOFEL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:20 PM   #13
BFW122083
macrumors 6502

Another returned mini here...

I wanted to like the mini, I really did. I actually loved several things about it. The size, weight, look and feel, all of that is great. I couldn't get past the screen. Going from a rmbp, i5, and iPad 3 the screen just drove me nuts.

It didn't look as bad in the store and I used it for two days. It's the only apple product I have ever purchased that I felt like I had to try to like, instead of just enjoy it. The text is just too small and blurry for me. My wife has an iPad 2 and didn't see anything wrong with it, but I am just used to retina now.

I think when it gets updated to retina it will be perfect, but until then I couldn't justify it. I bought an open box iPad 4 at best buy instead. When I opened it up in the car I realized it was actually an iPad 3 so I took it back in and they gave me a new 4 at the open box price

To sum it up I am currently loving my iPad 4 with no regrets and look forward to the mini getting retina sooner than later!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:55 PM   #14
Cockney Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToomeyND View Post

Did you notice a bit of a blue tint on the iPad 4? Each one I picked up seemed blue compared to the mini. This was from comparing books with the white background. Wouldn't stop me from getting it. It almost made it seem "cooler" in the photo editing sense. Just stood out a bit.
I've found the black models have a blue tint, whereas the white models have a yellow tint ...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:19 AM   #15
KeepCalmPeople
macrumors 6502a

Smile It's the display that wows me - every time I pick it up

Coming from an iPad 2, it's the retina display that just jumps out at me every time I use it. Fantastic - a real pleasure reading, and I love being able to see the details in games etc.
KeepCalmPeople is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:48 AM   #16
dazz87
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockney Rebel View Post
I've found the black models have a blue tint, whereas the white models have a yellow tint ...
Really???? I have a black model (32gb) and mine has a warm temp (yellow tint).
dazz87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:55 AM   #17
Macist
macrumors 6502a

I was all set to get the Mini as a first iPad. I loved everything about it. The form factor is better for me. Love the low weight. But the non-retina screen was a deal-breaker. I read a lot on the iPhone so to have text suddenly look a little less crisp didn't feel right.

I'll wait for a few more invoices to get paid and go for the 4 I think. I'll revisit the Mini again when it's retina.
Macist is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:05 PM   #18
Cockney Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz87 View Post

I can only relay what I saw at the Apple Store the other day.

The yellow tint on my white 4 is ... ok.

I really don't like cold (blue) tints.

What do you think of the yellow tint on your black iPad?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:50 PM   #19
dazz87
macrumors regular

Quote:
I can only relay what I saw at the Apple Store the other day.

The yellow tint on my white 4 is ... ok.

I really don't like cold (blue) tints.

What do you think of the yellow tint on your black iPad?
I really have no issue with the warm temp on my ipad. My notebook and transformer tablet both are cool temp, but colors on both are more washed out compare to the ipad. I just happy that I have no dead pixels and backlight bleeding on my ipad.
dazz87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:55 PM   #20
KeepCalmPeople
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
My black 32GB is the same - a yellow tint.

Last edited by KeepCalmPeople; Nov 10, 2012 at 03:27 PM.
KeepCalmPeople is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:29 PM   #21
PrayForDeath
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It's all in your head
PrayForDeath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:50 PM   #22
anubis1980
macrumors member

Mine is yellower too but I like it so much more than my bluer ipad 3.
anubis1980 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:52 PM   #23
CandyNJ66
macrumors regular

No yellow screen on mine. I'm so thankful the mini was sold out because I just love my iPad 4.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:10 PM   #24
Cockney Rebel

Quote:
I really have no issue with the warm temp on my ipad. My notebook and transformer tablet both are cool temp, but colors on both are more washed out compare to the ipad. I just happy that I have no dead pixels and backlight bleeding on my ipad.
Dead pixels are an absolute no-no for me.

This iPad (4th gen, 3 days old) has a couple of tiny bits of fluff under the glass. I'm going to buy two more tomorrow, compare the 3, and keep the best one.

Apple's QC is certainly not what it should be and I always know that when I buy something from them, there will be something wrong with it.

I wish I could just buy something from Apple, with the confidence that all will be as expected, but that has never been the case ... never!

And for the money they charge, that is completely wrong.

I received an iPhone 5 the other day, with a small bit of metal or something under the glass ... we are talking about a 699 phone, here! It should be perfect!

Anyway, I have come to accept that this is just the way it is, with Apple.

The "exchange game" is so frustrating, but when I pay "Apple money" I expect a perfect product ...
Cockney Rebel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:55 PM   #25
StephenAndrew
macrumors member

Love my iPad 4 so far. It's my first iPad, and I've been having fun doing iPhone-like things on a bigger scale. Haven't noticed any tint issues with the screen...I'm a photographer too, my photos just look really nice and crisp on it (well, the in-focus ones at least ). Colors appear to be accurate and consistent with how they look on my iMac (which as been hardware calibrated).

The only downside is that I finally gave up my $30/unlimited data plan with ATT and got a $50/5GB per month plan so I can use the personal hotspot feature on my iPhone to connect to the iPad - because ATT withholds that feature (along with facetime over cellular) for those with unlimited data plans...and not coincidentally I'm sure, those are the very features that would benefit most from an unlimited data plan. Yeah, yeah, first world problems...doesn't make me any happier with ATT though.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad