Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's stock is now down 20% since its all-time high set in mid-September, with investors concerned about the company's prospects for the future amid a management shakeup and questions about where the company's next major revenue growth driver will come from. Samsung's rise to prominence in mobile device markets is also weighing on Apple as the iPhone's market share growth has slowed or even declined in recent quarters.

aapl_551_bear.jpg
The difficulties being experienced by Apple are gradually gaining higher visibility outside of the financial markets, with ABC's Nightline running a segment (via Fortune) addressing the issues. The evening news show had previously been granted access to Foxconn factories producing Apple products in response to public criticism over worker treatment at the facilities.

Apple is expected to have a monster holiday quarter on the strength of the iPhone 5, iPad mini, fourth-generation iPad, and updated iPod and Mac models nearly across the board. But with Foxconn still struggling to meet demand for production of the iPhone 5, which is Apple's primary revenue driver, there are some concerns about whether the quarter's performance will be quite as big as many are hoping for.

Article Link: 'Nightline' Looks at Apple's Woes as Stock Declines 20% from All-Time High

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
I was pretty impressed by Apple's hardware advancements this year.

Not so much with the software.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
It's bottoming out now. Won't drop below 525. If it hits 550... buy. The holiday season along with the earnings call in the beginning of 2013 makes this stock have awesome potential! Let the big wigs who bought earlier jump ship. It's time to make money on this one.

Apple's a stock you want to have for the long haul.

:D

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Man, people have too much time. Stocks are bound to decline. They can only go so high. And plus, wait till they rise back up again and these same guys will jump on the "Apple is amazing" bandwagon

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
it could be Apple it taking a hit from the fact that so much of their money and income is tied up in the iPhone and time and time again it is losing market share.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
What about the coming increase from 15% to 25% for cashing out stocks.

That's what's driving this sell off from what I have gathered.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
What a load of crap this is. There is no fundamental issues with Apple here - just the financial sector manipulating stock prices. So Apple is expected to have a monster quarter, but let's promote the idea that they'll miss some analysts projections (which of course have little to do with reality) and start driving the stock price down now, then buy more shares and have the reality of what Apple does drive the price back up, offering a huge upside to those carrying Apple stock.

angrynstupid

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Michigan
Stock Manipulation

The stock is being manipulated right now. The same thing happened last year at this time. Share price will rise again as January 24th draws near.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I do think Apple is in trouble without Steve Jobs... but maybe without that clown Forstall and Ive stepping up things will return.

Last edited:

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Buy! Buy! Buy!

This is the greatest buying opportunity I have ever seen.

Everybody should be taking out home equity lines of credit and using the proceeds to buy Apple stock. See if you can refinance your car loan. Take everything out of your 401(k) and IRA accounts. Buy on margin. Buy options. Take next month's rent money. Do whatever you have to, but BUY!

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
If nothing else, I'd suggest one thing they need to sort out in the old UI for iOS products.

Even the latest iPad4 and Mini and basically using the exact same old dead icon grid that the very 1st iPhone launched with.

The Microsoft Surface with it's life titles giving you information without having to run programs is just showing how out of date Apple's UI is even more.

craznar

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
My feeling is that the huge hardware change with the connector in the iPad/iPhone devices has and is giving many people an opportunity to re-evaluate their device of choice.

In essence - I have to repurchase so much other stuff, it is a good time to see if I want to change completely.

Whilst the new connector is a technical advancement, I suspect it will provide a sale slump in the short term.

wschutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I was pretty impressed by Apple's hardware advancements this year.

Not so much with the software.

Oh! So there were advancements after all. I thought I saw just mere upgrades as per the rest of the industry (of course, still behind and overpriced... but well... that comes with the apple logo :)

rdstoll

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Apple will be a $400 stock by year-end heading lower still. All the classic signs of a stock that has boomed and seen its best days: earnings disappointments (3 in a row), lame product launches, operational issues (maps, siri), blame-casting by throwing some management under the bus, building a grotesque new HQ, not to mention the fact that everyone and their mom already owns a iphone/ipad and/or owns the stock.

With 56 analyst recommendations to buy AAPL vs. only 5 "holds" and 2 "sells" there is a long way to go for this stock to wring out excesses. Based on the chart, etc I will start to nibble at $200.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
LOL'ing at the calls of manipulation. Was it being manipulated up as well? It was overpriced and overbought at $700. An easy call there to see it drop. The bottom may be harder to pick. $525 has support. There is a gap in the low $400's. I have heard some people talk about the high $200's. I like to see what happens at $525 first. Santa is always good to Apple.

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Actually that's a really good news. I've been quite disappointed by Apple this year, hopefully this will shake them up and encourage them to restart making incredible/innovative products.

nwlondonlad

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
UK London
This is the greatest buying opportunity I have ever seen.

Everybody should be taking out home equity lines of credit and using the proceeds to buy Apple stock. See if you can refinance your car loan. Take everything out of your 401(k) and IRA accounts. Buy on margin. Buy options. Take next month's rent money. Do whatever you have to, but BUY!

No thanks Tim Cook :rolleyes:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
can't understand how the stock market works.
all i see is a great lineup for the holiday and the stock plummet :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.