Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:25 AM   #26
Allenbf
macrumors 6502

Be more adult? Are you kidding me??

The whole thing sounds like my wife telling the kids "Now you two sit there on the sofa, hug each other for 5 minutes and tell each other you love the other"

It's all juvenile. Forcing an apology? This judge is ridiculous
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:26 AM   #27
All Taken
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-O View Post
to be fair, it was a pretty stupid ruling. fine them and move on. it's a company, not a child.
It's the perceived damage by the Judge to the Samsung Electronics brand. This is why Apple have been ordered to prominently display notice of the ruling.

It's not about them being treated like a child. It is simply that the Judge felt Apple had tarnished Samsung's reputation given the media attention.

I won't comment on the merit of the decision as I, simply put, am not a Judge.
All Taken is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:31 AM   #28
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalRCG View Post
Geez, just do it right and get it over with. The sooner they comply, the faster this will all go in the past and be forgotten.
The silly thing is that it all started with only the requirement for a tiny link that no one would even notice.

Instead it ends up being a big apology that's hard to miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
There was nothing wrong with what apple did. They just put a quote that the judge said over the court order... I fail to see anything wrong with that. Freedom of speech, for the win.
Quoting the judge wasn't the problem.

Apple also added a bunch of comments that were worded in such as way as to make it sound like Samsung was banned for infringing the iPad design in other countries.

Not only is there no such injunction currently in place, this and the other trials were about the 2004 Community Design, NOT the 2010 registered iPad design.

That's what got them in trouble (again).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenbf View Post
It's all juvenile. Forcing an apology? This judge is ridiculous
Apple themselves had demanded before trial that Samsung should be forced to post an apology if they lost. The judge took that into account. Turnabout is fair play.
kdarling is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:32 AM   #29
blue22
macrumors 6502

wwjd...

I wonder how Steve Jobs would have handled this UK court order?
blue22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:34 AM   #30
kk1ro
macrumors regular

I see nothing wrong with this.

Apple has published the statement, hasn't it? It's on the main Apple.co.uk webpage, right?
What's the problem if people have to do a simple scroll-down in order to see it? Should Apple just replace the iPad mini/iPad 4 spot with the statement? Should Apple.co.uk lead to a whole webpage dedicated to that statement?

This is becoming ridiculous.
It's fine as it is. Apple did what was requested and that should be that.
kk1ro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:36 AM   #31
Gullando
macrumors newbie

I dont get why the UK court was silly enough to rule in Samsung's favour.. As Apple pointed out other courts of law ruled in Apple's favour..

Yet another brilliant choice by the UK....
Gullando is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:37 AM   #32
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gullando View Post
I dont get why the UK court was silly enough to rule in Samsung's favour.. As Apple pointed out other courts of law ruled in Apple's favour..

Can you point me any single court that has stated that Samsung tablets infringe Apple community deseigns or design patents?
Oletros is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:39 AM   #33
dreadnort
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue22 View Post
even if the judge is a tit a court order is a court order, if you commit a crime in another country your dealt with by their system.
Steve Jobs would have to do the same he's not above the law in fact he's not above anything
dreadnort is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:39 AM   #34
Allenbf
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
The silly thing is that it all started with only the requirement for a tiny link that no one would even notice.

Instead it ends up being a big apology that's hard to miss.

Quoting the judge wasn't the problem.

Apple also added a bunch of comments that were worded in such as way as to make it sound like Samsung was banned for infringing the iPad design in other countries.

Not only is there no such injunction currently in place, this and the other trials were about the 2004 Community Design, NOT the 2010 registered iPad design.

That's what got them in trouble (again).

Apple themselves had demanded before trial that Samsung should be forced to post an apology if they lost. The judge took that into account. Turnabout is fair play.
I did not realize this, thanks. Then yeah, it's fair.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:39 AM   #35
Daws001
macrumors regular

Does anyone besides the court actually care about this anymore lol? Seems like Apple just worked it out in their favor. More page views and attention on their site.

"And while you're here to read our court ordered statement, why not checkout our line of iPads? Can we interest you in a smart cover?"
Daws001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:42 AM   #36
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Taken View Post
I understand the need to be protective of your design but if a Judge delivers a verdict you should be adult about it and just place the damn notice clearly instead of acting like a smart arse teenager.

Practice what you preach and grow up Apple.

The Judge isn't treating Apple like a child by giving this order which so many Macrumors readers naturally leap to assume, it is simply that the Judge felt Samsung didn't infringe on Apple's iPad design and that as a result of the court case Apple tarnished Samsung's reputation given the media attention.

When brand reputation is a MASSIVE part of your business model then it needs to be protected. If it were the other way around then I'm sure the Judge would have demanded the same of Samsung given the reliance of both companies on brand reputation.

I won't comment on the merit of the decision as I, simply put, am not a Judge.
Wholly $h!+

common sense on macrumors!!!!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue22 View Post
Its a court order, there is only one way to handle it.
nick_elt is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:45 AM   #37
rei101
macrumors 6502a

Steve Jobs was a decent man, he wouldn't be playing with things like that. Apple is becoming a joke.
rei101 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:49 AM   #38
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

You guys might not think its related but I dont think stuff like this and stories about AAPL dropping 20% is unrelated. Public perception of Apple is changing. And not for the good. (I Still think there is money to be made and bad press to change but Apple has to change first)
nick_elt is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:50 AM   #39
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei101 View Post
Steve Jobs was a decent man, he wouldn't be playing with things like that. Apple is becoming a joke.
He played with things like that all the time if his biography is any indication.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:52 AM   #40
scott911
macrumors 6502

Apple took a bit of text that no one would have every even paid attention to, and instead managed to make it a newsworthy item on a couple different occasions.

What a publicity machine!
A bit misguided, but getting publicity none the the less.
scott911 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:53 AM   #41
Eriden
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
Wholly $h!+

common sense on macrumors!!!!
Despite the battles between the pro and anti apple crowds, common sense does show up here, occasionally.

Finding common sense on AppleInsider? THAT is an impossibility.
Eriden is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:53 AM   #42
thekris1234
macrumors member

And I still can't see it without scrolling.

What the ****** was the fuss about?
thekris1234 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:55 AM   #43
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriden View Post
Finding common sense on AppleInsider? THAT is an impossibility.
They live in their own private reality
Oletros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:58 AM   #44
Eriden
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
They live in their own private reality
The only place in the world with a full-time Reality Distortion Field activated.
Eriden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:02 AM   #45
johny5
macrumors 6502a

it was pretty naughty of them (albeit clever and funny!)

johny5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:03 AM   #46
Wordman
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gullando View Post

"Yet another"?

The UK ruled in terms of its own laws, not those of another country. And as such, it was able to make its decision independently. It would have been disappointing if they had said "Ooh, let's just do what everyone else did".

Wasn't it Apple that preached about not following the pack with the 1984 ad?
Wordman is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:05 AM   #47
croooow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjam View Post
I'm genuinely surprised that Apple didn't use a white font for the online apology...
I believe the court specified the font size, did they also tell Apple what color to make it?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:08 AM   #48
emdotdee
macrumors regular

"They would've got away with it if it weren't for all those pesky gadget blogs"
emdotdee is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:15 AM   #49
spcdust
macrumors 6502a

A little petulant on Apple's part.....get over yourselves and comply in the spirit of the judgement, you'd expect Samsung to do likewise if the particular legal spat had gone in your favour.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:16 AM   #50
Mak47
macrumors 6502a

There is absolutely no reason that any company should be required to do this. Any company, or individual for that matter has the right to file suit. The court saw fit to hear the case, so it's clearly not some frivolous lawsuit and it wasn't an abuse of the courts--if it were, they could have thrown it out.

When you file suit, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. In this case Apple lost. OK, fine, let the lawsuit end so both parties can go about their business.

A judge ordering a company to post a message like this is simply punishing them for exercising their rights. Losing the case (and all the financial issues that accompany that) should be enough.

This judge is sending a message, and it says: Don't sue people, don't try to protect your property. If you lose, not only will you lose the case, but you'll be publicly shamed for even trying.

Apple should have simply refused to comply with the order entirely. What is this judge going to do, demand extradition of Tim Cook from the US so he can do jail time for not saying he's sorry?
Mak47 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion