Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:14 PM   #51
uncleMonty
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdeusthewhizkid View Post
you guys have definately sold me on the mac mini with all these deals on hard drives and memory i was considering a 2007 mac pro.
Before buying any older Mac Pro, if you care about performance check the benchmarks at geekbench to compare with the newer minis. It's amazing: the 2007 Mac Pro Intel Xeon 5130 2000 MHz (4 cores) gets a score of 4103. The mid-level new mac mini gets a score of 11608! Even the fastest 2008 Mac Pro, Intel Xeon X5482 3200 MHz (8 cores), doesn't perform as well: it only gets 10692. The full list of all Macs goes from the iBook PowerPC G3 (740/750) 366 MHz which gets a score of 176, to the beefiest current Mac Pro with 12 cores with a score of 22200. It's a pretty interesting comparison:
http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks
uncleMonty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:23 PM   #52
Macclone
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Just ordered the I7 2.6 with fusion drive. Already have the HP IPS LED 23" monitor. Will add 16G of Ram if needed. Should be a screamer compared to my 2006 white iMac.
Macclone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:33 PM   #53
Katieg-fm
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
My new mini just came in today. Spending a while getting it set up just right and moving all my files. Love it so far! And colors look great (I was worried!)
__________________
__________________
iPhone 5 64GB | iPad 3 64GB | TV (3rd Gen) | IPod Shuffle
2012 i7 Mac Mini, 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 1Tb Fusion
Katieg-fm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:05 AM   #54
spookle
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
It seems the like the mini fix is working for most people so far. (still early days I guess).

I might wait and see if a 2012 refurb (basic model) shows up for sale - guessing quite a few people returned their minis. But there might be quite a gap in time before any appear on the Apple site do you think?
spookle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:32 PM   #55
FreakinEurekan
macrumors 68030
 
FreakinEurekan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Eureka Springs, Arkansas
My $0.02

Just jumping onto the thread... got my shipping notice today for the 2.6GHz quad with Fusion Drive and 16GB RAM. Also MiniDP-DVI adapter for my 2nd monitor and VMWare Fusion. This will connect to my twin Dell 2001FP monitors and after making a VMWare image from my old Dell tower, I'll finally be down to one computer. Currently switching back & forth between the Dell and a mid-2007 Mini.

My old Mini is a fine computer, but looking forward to:

* Good dual-monitor support
* Enough horsepower to run VMWare and get rid of the stand-alone Win box
* USB 3.0 for speedy backups
* Mountain Lion - There are so many little things that work so smoothly on my work iMac (ML) and are just more cumbersome on Lion
* ONE keyboard and ONE mouse on my desk!
FreakinEurekan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:47 PM   #56
Macclone
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Just got my shipping notice. Will have in on Monday!!
Macclone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:35 PM   #57
USB123
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ireland
Just ordered my base mini, along with a Mini-Display Port to VGA adapter! Got the wired Apple keyboard at a Premium Reseller today so quite excited now! It says on the order email "ships 2-4 Business days, delivers 02 Jan 2013". Does it take this long to ship?! How long have others waited for theirs? I'm in Ireland, btw.
__________________
Late 2012 Mac mini, dual core i5 2.5GHz 4GB RAM
iPhone 4 8 GB
USB123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:41 AM   #58
CrazyNurse
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macclone View Post
Just ordered the I7 2.6 with fusion drive. Already have the HP IPS LED 23" monitor. Will add 16G of Ram if needed. Should be a screamer compared to my 2006 white iMac.
I just ordered the mid-grade 2.3 I7. It will also be replacing my family's 2006 iMac. Our iMac is on its last leg but has faithfully served us. It is the longest I have ever owned a desktop!

16GB of ram from crucial is also on the way.

I will do the SSD upgrade later.
CrazyNurse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:58 PM   #59
no3tic888
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
I got my 2.3 i7 mini that replaces my original 1.42 PPC mini. It'll be my HTPC and file server as well. The i7 hooked up to my 46" Samsung through HDMI with problems.

I have a Apple BT keyboard and Logitech BT mouse as well. I'm undecided whether to get a Magic Trackpad or not. I do have 16GB of ram to install in this little baby as well.
__________________
iPhone 4S 32GB Black |
13" 2011 MBP, i5, 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB Samsung 830 SSD |
MP 2008, 2.8GHz, 10GB, 4.5TB, ATI 5770|
Mac mini i7 2.3GHz 16GB 1TB |
no3tic888 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:10 PM   #60
USB123
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by USB123 View Post
Just ordered my base mini, along with a Mini-Display Port to VGA adapter! Got the wired Apple keyboard at a Premium Reseller today so quite excited now! It says on the order email "ships 2-4 Business days, delivers 02 Jan 2013". Does it take this long to ship?! How long have others waited for theirs? I'm in Ireland, btw.
It's coming much sooner in fact, by Tuesday! I am excited!
__________________
Late 2012 Mac mini, dual core i5 2.5GHz 4GB RAM
iPhone 4 8 GB
USB123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:55 AM   #61
MyNameIsDave
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blighty
Just got my 2.3 i7 mini. I was worried about all the screen issues, but went for it anyway. So far I've had zero issues connected via HDMI and VGA.
MyNameIsDave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:51 PM   #62
USB123
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ireland
Got my i5 base mini today, very happy! It will take a while to switch from Windows though, but it's worth it.
__________________
Late 2012 Mac mini, dual core i5 2.5GHz 4GB RAM
iPhone 4 8 GB
USB123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:20 AM   #63
jwhite4304
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: High Point NC
Just got the new i7 mini today at the Apple store in less than ten minutes!

Jim
jwhite4304 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:27 PM   #64
esmith2039
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Bought my first Mac yesterday 2.3GHz quad-core. Not our first Apple though as we have 2 iPhones. No complaints it actually runs better than the Win7 it replaced. Using Virtual Box with XP for a few apps with no issues. The only thing that doesn't work is the HP Laserjet 1018. Now to get 16GB upgrade and external bluray drive and eventually a SSD.
esmith2039 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:46 AM   #65
Major General
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Just bought the 2.5 i5 core mini the other day for myself, loving it so far. (Might just drop my windows pc)
Major General is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:48 PM   #66
CtotheP
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
So my birthday is tomorrow (the 26th), so I get a lot of combo gifts. Today my family chipped in and got me a 2012 i7 Mini. It will replace my 2008 Core 2 Duo 24" iMac. First upgrade will be 16gb of ram, still contemplating the SSD.
CtotheP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:08 PM   #67
sikkinixx
macrumors 68020
 
sikkinixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Rocketing through the sky!
With xmas gift cards/money I think I'll finally take the Mac Mini plunge again... I'm so torn between the base 2012 or the mid tier 2012 model. Is it worth $200 for the better processor? The hard drive space is no big deal as I'll end up putting an SSD in there at some point anyway.

I wish they were in the refurb store
__________________
sikkinixx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:29 PM   #68
randy98mtu
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Just got my 2012 2.3 i7 yesterday. Powered it on to make sure everything worked. Shut it down and took it apart. Put in a Data doubler with a 512 GB m4 SSD and 16 GB of 1600 mhz ram. VERY happy with my choice. Also running a thunderbolt display. I was waiting for a new iMac but the extra time made me reconsider and decided I'd rather have the mini with the thunderbolt display to use with my laptops. I think I'm going to get the Twelve South HiRise stand and Backpack. Stick the Mini in the HiRise and put one or two of my MyBooks on the Backpack.
randy98mtu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:39 PM   #69
BingClawsby
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Ordered a 2.6 i7, 4gb ram and 1 tb hdd. Was gonna go with a fusion, but outside of booting and copying files faster than a regular hdd, it probably wasn't going to make a huge difference in my cpu/ram intensive audio apps.

So by saving 250, I bought 16gb ram from crucial, applecare and a new apple keyboard

I figure by the end of three years that my applecare warranty expires, I'll add a large enough sized SSD being that they'll probably be a lot cheaper by then that it would really make a speed difference.

I'm upgrading from a 2007 macbook C2D 2ghz. Keeping it of course...it works great!
BingClawsby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:19 PM   #70
mndwgz
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
i7 4Gb 1Tb First Mac

Bought the day before xmas to replace the 6 year old core 2 quad, bigger than a house with absolutely no WAF PC, but never let me down.
Weeeelllll it's not a PC, that's for sure. Wifey has the full tilt 64Gb iPad 3 and an iPhone. I have an 8 year old motorola razor, and my last computer purchase a Toshiba netbook 3 years ago, and still running a few PC's that have been torn down, rebuilt, upgraded big time...
Back on topic. Hooked it up: Mac -> HDMI -> Yamaha receiver -> HDMI -> LG plasma.
2.4Ghz dongle for the keyboard with trackpad.
Worked! ...after I reset the audio midi settings. Keyboard is kind of wonky too, hey it's a PC thing, but Wifey downloaded the remote app, so that might be easier. Got that command key now, Woo Hoo. Plugged in a couple of 2Tb external drives with the AVI & MKV's and promptly downloaded VLC. Mirrored to the Apple TV in the kitchen and midi glitches abound, as well as screen savers. Wheeeee.
Next: I'm going to figure out how to get my LG blueray drive from the replaced unit to work with this thing too. I see a 500Gb Win 7 partition coming up.

Last edited by mndwgz; Dec 26, 2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: spelin'
mndwgz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:07 AM   #71
CtotheP
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
I actually ended up returning my i7 base Mini the other day and custom ordered from home. I got a credit from the Apple Store and then had some other Apple gift cards from Christmas/Birthday. Those, combined with my Corporate discount, I was able to order the i7 with the Fusion drive, and it should be here within the week.

My 16gb of ram just showed up today
CtotheP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:49 AM   #72
MJ23
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mndwgz View Post
Bought the day before xmas to replace the 6 year old core 2 quad, bigger than a house with absolutely no WAF PC, but never let me down.
Weeeelllll it's not a PC, that's for sure. Wifey has the full tilt 64Gb iPad 3 and an iPhone. I have an 8 year old motorola razor, and my last computer purchase a Toshiba netbook 3 years ago, and still running a few PC's that have been torn down, rebuilt, upgraded big time...
Back on topic. Hooked it up: Mac -> HDMI -> Yamaha receiver -> HDMI -> LG plasma.
2.4Ghz dongle for the keyboard with trackpad.
Worked! ...after I reset the audio midi settings. Keyboard is kind of wonky too, hey it's a PC thing, but Wifey downloaded the remote app, so that might be easier. Got that command key now, Woo Hoo. Plugged in a couple of 2Tb external drives with the AVI & MKV's and promptly downloaded VLC. Mirrored to the Apple TV in the kitchen and midi glitches abound, as well as screen savers. Wheeeee.
Next: I'm going to figure out how to get my LG blueray drive from the replaced unit to work with this thing too. I see a 500Gb Win 7 partition coming up.
Do you turn off your monitor of your mini when you use airplay on you Apple TV?
MJ23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:04 PM   #73
mndwgz
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ23 View Post
Do you turn off your monitor of your mini when you use airplay on you Apple TV?
No I don't, I want both to stream the same thing. Check out the vid I posted in the show me you system thread, you'll see it at the end.
mndwgz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:08 PM   #74
jihad the movie
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Smugtown, NY
Send a message via AIM to jihad the movie
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleMonty View Post
Before buying any older Mac Pro, if you care about performance check the benchmarks at geekbench to compare with the newer minis. It's amazing: the 2007 Mac Pro Intel Xeon 5130 2000 MHz (4 cores) gets a score of 4103. The mid-level new mac mini gets a score of 11608! Even the fastest 2008 Mac Pro, Intel Xeon X5482 3200 MHz (8 cores), doesn't perform as well: it only gets 10692. The full list of all Macs goes from the iBook PowerPC G3 (740/750) 366 MHz which gets a score of 176, to the beefiest current Mac Pro with 12 cores with a score of 22200. It's a pretty interesting comparison:
http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks
Good advice. I bought my Quad 2.6GHz i7 Mini just a few days ago. After checking Geekbench, I comparison shopped a 2008 8 Core 3.0GHz Mac Pro and I almost went with the Mac Pro until I saw the RAM prices at Crucial. I was able to upgrade the Mini for substantially less money than the Mac Pro, and the end performance will be just a hair better.
__________________
Dual 1.8 G5, Rev A. 3GB ram
12" PowerBook 1.5ghz 1.25GB ram
jihad the movie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:23 AM   #75
MJ23
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mndwgz View Post
No I don't, I want both to stream the same thing. Check out the vid I posted in the show me you system thread, you'll see it at the end.
Could you check this for me if the video playback on your apple tv stops when you turn off the monitor? Thanks!
MJ23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "I just ordered/bought/got my new/refurb Mac Pro" thread [merged] Einz Mac Pro 2165 Today 01:01 PM
The "I just bought/ordered/got/shipped my new iPhone 5s/5c" thread, [Merged] karboN.6 iPhone 2790 Sep 12, 2014 02:33 AM
The "I just ordered/bought/got my new Mac Pro" thread zarf2007 Mac Pro 2 Dec 22, 2013 06:12 AM
10.8.x(2) Crappy OS, bought Mac Mini, lots of "problems" justperry OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 7 Mar 8, 2013 05:07 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC