Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RussellJones

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
I got my iPad 4 yesterday as an upgrade from my 1st, the screen is great, when it is square in front of my eyes, at any angle it seems to have a green tint to it, even to the extreme that when I rested it on my knee and it fell to a slant, one half was green and the other a nice pure white. Is this normal for the new ipad and the technology the display it uses, I thought the point of IPS was to create a wide viewing angle.

Sh4wN

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
Common problem with the Retina display. If it's obvious and/or bothers you, take it back and hope you get one where its less noticeable.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Part of the display is a polarizing film. If you tilt it at different angles you can see the optical effects. One way you'll see a little green, another way you'll see a little violet. If you put on polarized sunglasses, one orientation you'll see the display, the other you won't.

It's nothing to be concerned with and is totally normal, some are just more sensitive to it than others.

RussellJones

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Part of the display is a polarizing film. If you tilt it at different angles you can see the optical effects. One way you'll see a little green, another way you'll see a little violet. If you put on polarized sunglasses, one orientation you'll see the display, the other you won't.

It's nothing to be concerned with and is totally normal, some are just more sensitive to it than others.

Thanks, I was hoping it was something to do with the production of the ipad, and occurs on them all, after the many returns on the rmbp I had to endure I didn't want to be in the same situation

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Do the iPad 4 and the iPhone 4S use different display technology?
My 4S has a distinctly cooler blue tint, my iPad 4 has a slightly yellow tint in comparison. Neither is really an issue, but quite noticeable going from one to the other.

I would also say that the tint on both devices changes with the viewing angle.

daantje22

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
Netherlands
I got my iPad 4 yesterday as an upgrade from my 1st, the screen is great, when it is square in front of my eyes, at any angle it seems to have a green tint to it, even to the extreme that when I rested it on my knee and it fell to a slant, one half was green and the other a nice pure white. Is this normal for the new ipad and the technology the display it uses, I thought the point of IPS was to create a wide viewing angle.

See my topic with photos

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1484477/

I tested it with my iPod touch 4, iPhone 4, iPad 3&4 and ALL have the same green/purple hue

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
What is the benefit of using the polarizing film, especially if it produces the tints mentioned when not viewed straight-on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.