Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:45 AM   #1
bclizzle
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Is camera rattle grounds for exchange

Will genius bar swap my phone out if i have the rattle in my iPhone 5? or does it depend on my luck, and I might get someone that will actually open it up and fix it
bclizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:46 AM   #2
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
If its the same rattle I'm thinking of its been there since the 4S and its to do with the lens.
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:47 AM   #3
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
No.

It's perfectly normal.
__________________
2.4 Alu Macbook 2GB 250GB
jabingla2810 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:53 AM   #4
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
No, and you can't swap colors while you're at it either.
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 5 S⃣
JayLenochiniMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:34 AM   #5
MEJHarrison
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
The lenses are supposed to rattle. If you find one where it doesn't, that's the one you want to return.
MEJHarrison is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:38 AM   #6
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclizzle View Post
Will genius bar swap my phone out if i have the rattle in my iPhone 5? or does it depend on my luck, and I might get someone that will actually open it up and fix it
No a genius will not swap out your phone because of the rattle. If you are within 30 days and you get a genius who either wants to prove to you that it's normal or that is really nice he'll exchange it out but you will find that it's completely normal. This is an "issue" you don't want fixed. Part of the reason the camera on the iPhone is so good is because of the rattle.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:35 PM   #7
Adutrumque
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden
they will never open it and fix it since thats not Apples policy.

I got mine replaced for that rattling. It'll take 2 months until they have it in stock but I'll get it in time. And yes, she accepted it. She heard the noise.

But , there is different noises so I don't know. Mine was the rattling that stops when you hold down the power button.
Adutrumque is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:31 PM   #8
phonelover01
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Can you guys elaborate on the theory that an iPhone 5 that *doesn't* rattle is the problem?

I had a 5 that rattled and since I was within the 14 day window of my carrier I had it swapped out for a sealed 5 and this new one doesn't rattle at all.

If phones are supposed to rattle why do some of them not?

Also, if I call Apple and say "hello? My phone's not rattling!" will they tell me it's a problem and it should be replaced?
phonelover01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:35 PM   #9
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
my original 5 didn't rattle or it wasn't noticeable at all. The one I have now does rattle :/
tymaster50 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:38 PM   #10
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelover01 View Post
Can you guys elaborate on the theory that an iPhone 5 that *doesn't* rattle is the problem?

I had a 5 that rattled and since I was within the 14 day window of my carrier I had it swapped out for a sealed 5 and this new one doesn't rattle at all.

If phones are supposed to rattle why do some of them not?

Also, if I call Apple and say "hello? My phone's not rattling!" will they tell me it's a problem and it should be replaced?
It depends on when it rattles. If you shake the crap out of your phone and it rattles it is most likely the camera. However, if you are playing angry birds or some other app and it's rattling that's a problem.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:42 PM   #11
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: 212
if you tap the area where the camera is housed, you will here some rattling.. not grounds for a swap as other people already mentioned
pnoyblazed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:44 PM   #12
scaredpoet
macrumors 601
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelover01 View Post
Can you guys elaborate on the theory that an iPhone 5 that *doesn't* rattle is the problem?
The iPhone 4S and 5 have multiple lenses that are movable elements. This mobility of those lenses is necessary so that the camera can move them into focus depending on the picture you're trying to take.

A side effect (but NOT a defect) of that mobility is that, when not in use, the lenses may move within their track and possibly against other components when the phone is shaken or not carefully placed down. When this happens, the lenses may produce a rattling sound.

In theory, a camera that rattles less has lenses that may either be stuck, or not move as easily. This could potentially impact image quality.

It's just a theory. It could well be that the lenses are just at a tighter tolerance in an iPhone that doesn't rattle. But, an iPhone with lens rattle is still not defective.


Quote:
Also, if I call Apple and say "hello? My phone's not rattling!" will they tell me it's a problem and it should be replaced?
Depends. Are your photos out of focus?
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.
scaredpoet is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:44 PM   #13
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoyblazed View Post
if you tap the area where the camera is housed, you will here some rattling.. not grounds for a swap as other people already mentioned
However, if the rattle stops when you hold the power and volume buttons you might be able to get a swap depending on degree of rattle.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:02 PM   #14
bclizzle
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
i returned my i4 a few months after it came out. i dropped it (nothing serious) and the camera began to rattle a bit when u would shake the phone... i took it to apple for the hell of it, the guy working exchanged it without even thinking about it. I was out of there in 5 minutes with a new one. I couldnt believe it, but hey why not.

thats why im even asking. i i5 began rattling a couple weeks ago
bclizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:24 PM   #15
batting1000
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
I remember trying to exchange my 4S for the rattle earlier this year before the 5 was out and the Genius was able to reproduce the noise. He went in the back to check it out and came back telling me my vibrator was messed up (even though it worked fine) and ended up giving me a new 4S (which still rattled).

I'm convinced the rattle isn't an issue, although it's unsettling to hear it / experience it on such a high quality / precisely manufactured device.
__________________
Verizon iPhone 5s - iOS 7.1
iPad mini 16GB WiFi - iOS 7.1
Late 2012 i5 Mac mini
batting1000 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:40 PM   #16
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Way too much time on your hands to worry about non issues like that.
Wish that was my only worry and had all the time to keep going to Apple for replacements like that every week.
And then keep exchanging one after another replacement for other fictional issues and so on.
Vicious cycle....
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:21 PM   #17
mcdj
macrumors 603
 
mcdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
Part of the reason the camera on the iPhone is so good is because of the rattle.
Um ok.

__________________
Great cage! No bird...
50f/2
mcdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:55 PM   #18
Eastbay
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Mine seriously does not rattle, the only thing that rattles is the power button. My camera lens doesn't rattle at all.
Eastbay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:50 AM   #19
bwhli
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Nope, it's within spec.
bwhli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:27 AM   #20
stickyfingers85
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
The camera rattle is in all iphone 5's!

It was also in the 4 and 4s

It's normal!
__________________
15" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD @ 7200rpm | 32GB iPhone 5 |
stickyfingers85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:10 AM   #21
Shylad
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Hi All,

My iPhone 5 never had a rattle at all, my pics were perfect, not out of focus, blurred or anything like that.

I've been reading on different forums how people have had a rattle from day 1 and that the iPhone 5's they were shown at the Apple store all rattled. I've also heard the excuse that the moving parts in the lens make the rattle and that it's normal.

I've had my iPhone 5 since launch day without any issues whatsoever but now all of a sudden, (started last week) i'm getting a rattle from the area around the camera lens which has gotten more noticeable over the last few days.

Other members of my family have other makes of phone with cameras on them but they don't have a rattle from any "moving" parts in the lens so why does the iPhone?

Ive had the 4 and 4s and neither of those phones had and still don't have any sort of rattle, as far as i'm concerned it's not normal.

Sorry if iv'e hijacked your thread, didn't mean to.

Shy.
__________________
Blue n White G3, iMac i5 Quad Core, Macbook Pro,
iPhone5 32gig, iPhone4 32gig, White iPhone 3gs 32gig, Ipod Touch 8gig
Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5PRO's.
Shylad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:42 AM   #22
cfcboy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Ive had conflicting information from Apple, so i decided to open up my IP5 (water damaged so didnt really matter in the end).

The rattling was actually coming from the VIBRATOR next to the camera port and not infact the camera lens as many think of being the cause. So i shook the phone whilst the case was off and could physically see the the vibrator moving in sync with the rattling noise.

Apple Genius confirmed this so i got a feeling it might be something to do with how tightly screwed in the vibrator actually is, i cant actually tell as the dozen or so ip5's ive checked out ALL rattle.
cfcboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:12 AM   #23
HowardSmith
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclizzle View Post
i returned my i4 a few months after it came out. i dropped it (nothing serious) and the camera began to rattle a bit when u would shake the phone... i took it to apple for the hell of it, the guy working exchanged it without even thinking about it. I was out of there in 5 minutes with a new one. I couldnt believe it, but hey why not.

thats why im even asking. i i5 began rattling a couple weeks ago
If it only rattles when you shake it, why take a chance of getting another phone with a "real" defect and likely a rattle, still, with the camera lens.

Why are you shaking your iPhone?
HowardSmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:27 AM   #24
batting1000
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shylad View Post
Hi All,

My iPhone 5 never had a rattle at all, my pics were perfect, not out of focus, blurred or anything like that.

I've been reading on different forums how people have had a rattle from day 1 and that the iPhone 5's they were shown at the Apple store all rattled. I've also heard the excuse that the moving parts in the lens make the rattle and that it's normal.

I've had my iPhone 5 since launch day without any issues whatsoever but now all of a sudden, (started last week) i'm getting a rattle from the area around the camera lens which has gotten more noticeable over the last few days.

Other members of my family have other makes of phone with cameras on them but they don't have a rattle from any "moving" parts in the lens so why does the iPhone?

Ive had the 4 and 4s and neither of those phones had and still don't have any sort of rattle, as far as i'm concerned it's not normal.

Sorry if iv'e hijacked your thread, didn't mean to.

Shy.
It is normal. It's the 5 lens system doing that.
__________________
Verizon iPhone 5s - iOS 7.1
iPad mini 16GB WiFi - iOS 7.1
Late 2012 i5 Mac mini
batting1000 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:03 AM   #25
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
Um ok.

That's real constructive, thanks for furthering the discussion.

VandyChem2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC