Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:45 AM   #1
bclizzle
macrumors regular

Is camera rattle grounds for exchange

Will genius bar swap my phone out if i have the rattle in my iPhone 5? or does it depend on my luck, and I might get someone that will actually open it up and fix it
bclizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:46 AM   #2
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

If its the same rattle I'm thinking of its been there since the 4S and its to do with the lens.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:47 AM   #3
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

No.

It's perfectly normal.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:53 AM   #4
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

No, and you can't swap colors while you're at it either.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:34 AM   #5
MEJHarrison
macrumors 6502

The lenses are supposed to rattle. If you find one where it doesn't, that's the one you want to return.
MEJHarrison is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:38 AM   #6
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclizzle View Post
Will genius bar swap my phone out if i have the rattle in my iPhone 5? or does it depend on my luck, and I might get someone that will actually open it up and fix it
No a genius will not swap out your phone because of the rattle. If you are within 30 days and you get a genius who either wants to prove to you that it's normal or that is really nice he'll exchange it out but you will find that it's completely normal. This is an "issue" you don't want fixed. Part of the reason the camera on the iPhone is so good is because of the rattle.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:35 PM   #7
Adutrumque
Banned

they will never open it and fix it since thats not Apples policy.

I got mine replaced for that rattling. It'll take 2 months until they have it in stock but I'll get it in time. And yes, she accepted it. She heard the noise.

But , there is different noises so I don't know. Mine was the rattling that stops when you hold down the power button.
Adutrumque is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:31 PM   #8
phonelover01
macrumors newbie

Can you guys elaborate on the theory that an iPhone 5 that *doesn't* rattle is the problem?

I had a 5 that rattled and since I was within the 14 day window of my carrier I had it swapped out for a sealed 5 and this new one doesn't rattle at all.

If phones are supposed to rattle why do some of them not?

Also, if I call Apple and say "hello? My phone's not rattling!" will they tell me it's a problem and it should be replaced?
phonelover01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:35 PM   #9
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

my original 5 didn't rattle or it wasn't noticeable at all. The one I have now does rattle :/
tymaster50 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:38 PM   #10
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelover01 View Post
Can you guys elaborate on the theory that an iPhone 5 that *doesn't* rattle is the problem?

I had a 5 that rattled and since I was within the 14 day window of my carrier I had it swapped out for a sealed 5 and this new one doesn't rattle at all.

If phones are supposed to rattle why do some of them not?

Also, if I call Apple and say "hello? My phone's not rattling!" will they tell me it's a problem and it should be replaced?
It depends on when it rattles. If you shake the crap out of your phone and it rattles it is most likely the camera. However, if you are playing angry birds or some other app and it's rattling that's a problem.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:42 PM   #11
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

if you tap the area where the camera is housed, you will here some rattling.. not grounds for a swap as other people already mentioned
pnoyblazed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:44 PM   #12
scaredpoet
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelover01 View Post
The iPhone 4S and 5 have multiple lenses that are movable elements. This mobility of those lenses is necessary so that the camera can move them into focus depending on the picture you're trying to take.

A side effect (but NOT a defect) of that mobility is that, when not in use, the lenses may move within their track and possibly against other components when the phone is shaken or not carefully placed down. When this happens, the lenses may produce a rattling sound.

In theory, a camera that rattles less has lenses that may either be stuck, or not move as easily. This could potentially impact image quality.

It's just a theory. It could well be that the lenses are just at a tighter tolerance in an iPhone that doesn't rattle. But, an iPhone with lens rattle is still not defective.

Quote:
Depends. Are your photos out of focus?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:44 PM   #13
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoyblazed View Post
if you tap the area where the camera is housed, you will here some rattling.. not grounds for a swap as other people already mentioned
However, if the rattle stops when you hold the power and volume buttons you might be able to get a swap depending on degree of rattle.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:02 PM   #14
bclizzle
macrumors regular

i returned my i4 a few months after it came out. i dropped it (nothing serious) and the camera began to rattle a bit when u would shake the phone... i took it to apple for the hell of it, the guy working exchanged it without even thinking about it. I was out of there in 5 minutes with a new one. I couldnt believe it, but hey why not.

thats why im even asking. i i5 began rattling a couple weeks ago
bclizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:24 PM   #15
batting1000
macrumors 601

I remember trying to exchange my 4S for the rattle earlier this year before the 5 was out and the Genius was able to reproduce the noise. He went in the back to check it out and came back telling me my vibrator was messed up (even though it worked fine) and ended up giving me a new 4S (which still rattled).

I'm convinced the rattle isn't an issue, although it's unsettling to hear it / experience it on such a high quality / precisely manufactured device.
batting1000 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:40 PM   #16
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Way too much time on your hands to worry about non issues like that.
Wish that was my only worry and had all the time to keep going to Apple for replacements like that every week.
And then keep exchanging one after another replacement for other fictional issues and so on.
Vicious cycle....
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:21 PM   #17
mcdj
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
Part of the reason the camera on the iPhone is so good is because of the rattle.
Um ok.

Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:55 PM   #18
Eastbay
macrumors newbie

Mine seriously does not rattle, the only thing that rattles is the power button. My camera lens doesn't rattle at all.
Eastbay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:50 AM   #19
bwhli
macrumors Demi-God

Nope, it's within spec.
bwhli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:27 AM   #20
stickyfingers85
macrumors regular

The camera rattle is in all iphone 5's!

It was also in the 4 and 4s

It's normal!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:10 AM   #21
Shylad
macrumors newbie

Hi All,

My iPhone 5 never had a rattle at all, my pics were perfect, not out of focus, blurred or anything like that.

I've been reading on different forums how people have had a rattle from day 1 and that the iPhone 5's they were shown at the Apple store all rattled. I've also heard the excuse that the moving parts in the lens make the rattle and that it's normal.

I've had my iPhone 5 since launch day without any issues whatsoever but now all of a sudden, (started last week) i'm getting a rattle from the area around the camera lens which has gotten more noticeable over the last few days.

Other members of my family have other makes of phone with cameras on them but they don't have a rattle from any "moving" parts in the lens so why does the iPhone?

Ive had the 4 and 4s and neither of those phones had and still don't have any sort of rattle, as far as i'm concerned it's not normal.

Sorry if iv'e hijacked your thread, didn't mean to.

Shy.
Shylad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:42 AM   #22
cfcboy
macrumors regular

Ive had conflicting information from Apple, so i decided to open up my IP5 (water damaged so didnt really matter in the end).

The rattling was actually coming from the VIBRATOR next to the camera port and not infact the camera lens as many think of being the cause. So i shook the phone whilst the case was off and could physically see the the vibrator moving in sync with the rattling noise.

Apple Genius confirmed this so i got a feeling it might be something to do with how tightly screwed in the vibrator actually is, i cant actually tell as the dozen or so ip5's ive checked out ALL rattle.
cfcboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:12 AM   #23
HowardSmith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclizzle View Post
i returned my i4 a few months after it came out. i dropped it (nothing serious) and the camera began to rattle a bit when u would shake the phone... i took it to apple for the hell of it, the guy working exchanged it without even thinking about it. I was out of there in 5 minutes with a new one. I couldnt believe it, but hey why not.

thats why im even asking. i i5 began rattling a couple weeks ago
If it only rattles when you shake it, why take a chance of getting another phone with a "real" defect and likely a rattle, still, with the camera lens.

Why are you shaking your iPhone?
HowardSmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:27 AM   #24
batting1000
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shylad View Post
Hi All,

My iPhone 5 never had a rattle at all, my pics were perfect, not out of focus, blurred or anything like that.

I've been reading on different forums how people have had a rattle from day 1 and that the iPhone 5's they were shown at the Apple store all rattled. I've also heard the excuse that the moving parts in the lens make the rattle and that it's normal.

I've had my iPhone 5 since launch day without any issues whatsoever but now all of a sudden, (started last week) i'm getting a rattle from the area around the camera lens which has gotten more noticeable over the last few days.

Other members of my family have other makes of phone with cameras on them but they don't have a rattle from any "moving" parts in the lens so why does the iPhone?

Ive had the 4 and 4s and neither of those phones had and still don't have any sort of rattle, as far as i'm concerned it's not normal.

Sorry if iv'e hijacked your thread, didn't mean to.

Shy.
It is normal. It's the 5 lens system doing that.
batting1000 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:03 AM   #25
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
Um ok.

That's real constructive, thanks for furthering the discussion.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone