Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:41 PM   #1
metsjetsfan
macrumors 6502a

Apple Calling "iPad mini" just iPad

Has anyone noticed that they are slowly starting to call the ipad 9.7 or the ipad mini just "ipad". Makes it very confusing what they are talking about sometimes people are just saying ipad and not referencing which one. i guess when the Mini retina comes out their site they can no longer call the 9.7 one "ipad with Retina display" on their site. In the end this looks to be headed the macbook route where everyone just says my macbook.

"They" is defined as tech journalists and even apple on their keynote ipad video. And even on their earnings call where they didn't break out the 3 million in sales.
metsjetsfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:45 PM   #2
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsjetsfan View Post
...and even apple on their keynote ipad video.
When they are specifically talking about the Mini, they refer to it as an iPad, but when discussing iPads in general they differentiate.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:48 PM   #3
saving107
macrumors 603

Quote:
"They" is defined as tech journalists and even apple on their keynote ipad video. And even on their earnings call where they didn't break out the 3 million in sales.
Apple doesn't break down the sale figures for the Mac or iPod (just that the iPod touch accounted for more than 50%), so I don't view the iPad 3 million press release as odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
When they are specifically talking about the Mini, they refer to it as an iPad, but when discussing iPads in general they differentiate.
I just watched the video on Apple.com and that was my take away.
saving107 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:50 PM   #4
metsjetsfan
macrumors 6502a

On maybe im just imagining it. Any ideas what the big ipad will be called when mini retina comes out.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Rodster
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Probably so they can group sales the same devices. Since the iPad overall lost some market share that should help those numbers.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:55 PM   #6
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
Probably so they can group sales the same devices. Since the iPad overall lost some market share that should help those numbers.
Every company groups products from the same category, they don't group the iPads with the iPhones, unless they specifically are talking about iOS sales in total.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:57 PM   #7
metsjetsfan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Every company groups products from the same category, they don't group the iPads with the iPhones, unless they specifically are talking about iOS sales in total.
Yes probably a competitive/ trade secret thing. Interesting because they did break out iphone 5 sales though.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:04 PM   #8
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

I hate the mini name. It's an ipad with 7.9" screen. Calling it a mini iPad takes something away from it.

They don't call the 13" MacBook Pro, the MacBook Pro mini (compared to the 15" Pro)

The Air is different in that it's edge shaped and flash only.
Yr Blues is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:18 PM   #9
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

If they change the naming, I hope they call them the iPad 8 and iPad 10, as opposed to the iPad 7.9 and iPad 9.7. I always thought Samsung's tablet names sucked.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:47 PM   #10
saving107
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yr Blues View Post
I hate the mini name. It's an ipad with 7.9" screen. Calling it a mini iPad takes something away from it.
\
How do you feel about the Mac mini and the iPod nano? both mini and nano insinuate smaller form factor but essentially do the same as the larger device.

Also, the iPod touch doesn't make much sense anymore since the 6th and 7th generation iPod nano both have touch screens.
saving107 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:49 PM   #11
pasadena
macrumors regular

I just wish they would choose names with a thought of the future, and stop changing them every generation !
pasadena is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:52 PM   #12
MrXiro
macrumors 68030

Quote:

They don't call the 13" MacBook Pro, the MacBook Pro mini (compared to the 15" Pro)

They could call it:

iPad Lite
Diet iPad
iPad Jr.
iPad Max
iPad Zero
iPad Lean
Lean, Mean iPad Machine
Slimfast iPad edition
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:57 PM   #13
Aspasia
macrumors 65816

At the Apple online store there's the iPad with retina display and the iPad mini. Separate identities.
Aspasia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:59 PM   #14
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
On maybe im just imagining it. Any ideas what the big ipad will be called when mini retina comes out.
"The all new iPad mini with Retina Display"

----------

Quote:
The "mini" brand now has a long and distinguished history with Apple.

iPod mini
Mac mini
iPad mini

All really great products.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:18 PM   #15
MrXiro
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonHarvey1 View Post
"The all new iPad mini with Retina Display"

----------

The "mini" brand now has a long and distinguished history with Apple.

iPod mini
Mac mini
iPad mini

All really great products.
Of which I just realized I now own all of... though my iPod Mini is a frankenstein's monster of a mp3 player. Replaced battery with a bigger one and replaced MicroDrive with an 8gb Compact Flash card.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:44 PM   #16
metsjetsfan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspasia View Post
At the Apple online store there's the iPad with retina display and the iPad mini. Separate identities.
What do they call the ipad with retina display when the ipad mini gets retina?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:49 PM   #17
.macbookpro.
macrumors regular

retinabook (macbook pro with retina display)
retinapad(ipad with retina display)
ipad(ipad mini)
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:51 PM   #18
Hakone
macrumors 6502a

iPod Monstro would've been my choice.
Hakone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:54 PM   #19
baypharm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Has anyone noticed that they are slowly starting to call the ipad 9.7 or the ipad mini just "ipad". Makes it very confusing what they are talking about sometimes people are just saying ipad and not referencing which one. i guess when the Mini retina comes out their site they can no longer call the 9.7 one "ipad with Retina display" on their site. In the end this looks to be headed the macbook route where everyone just says my macbook.

It's confusing because the market is now flooded with tablets that all do the same thing, look the same....etc....
baypharm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:55 PM   #20
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

Quote:
uh...they will still call it the mini. Just b.c it has a retina display that does not make it a mini
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:55 PM   #21
baypharm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Entitled to your opinion. I disagree....
baypharm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:56 PM   #22
rbrian
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
What do they call the ipad with retina display when the ipad mini gets retina?
The all new iPad mini with Retina display, and the all new iPad with Retina display, or maybe they'll just be iPad and iPad mini, and they'll rename the rest of the range MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and Cheap Fat MacBook without Retina display.

I still prefer John Gruber's idea for the name. iPad Air seems better than mini; more aspirational, and emphasises the thinness and lightness rather than the smaller screen. Nobody would have complained about the price either!
rbrian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:01 PM   #23
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

iPod max, though Pepsi might sue them.
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:04 PM   #24
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrian View Post
The all new iPad mini with Retina display, and the all new iPad with Retina display, or maybe they'll just be iPad and iPad mini, and they'll rename the rest of the range MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and Cheap Fat MacBook without Retina display.

I still prefer John Gruber's idea for the name. iPad Air seems better than mini; more aspirational, and emphasises the thinness and lightness rather than the smaller screen. Nobody would have complained about the price either!
that would get confusing though b.c people would start calling it the "Air"
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:11 PM   #25
rbrian
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
that would get confusing though b.c people would start calling it the "Air"
True dat. It's already getting confusing though people talking about the mini without saying whether it's a Mac mini or an iPad mini they're talking about, so it wouldn't actually make any difference.
rbrian is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad