Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:59 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Pixelmator Adds New Color Profile Management and CMYK Support

Pixelmator, which was recently name-checked by Phil Schiller during the iPad mini media event, has updated its image editing software to include CMYK support, as well as a new feature called "Soft Proofing" that allows users to apply different color profiles to images in order to get a better idea of what the image will look like in the real world.
Quote:
In the digital world, colors can be defined in many ways, and when it comes to precision, a feature called Soft Proofing comes in handy. Soft Proofing lets you quickly apply different color profiles to your images so you can get an idea of how the outcome, such as the printed image, might look. That's right, CMYK lovers, now you can preview and work in CMYK colors.

On top of that, thanks to the sRGB standard, the image colors inside Pixelmator will also look better. The sRGB color standard is widely used on most devices you come across every day, such as digital cameras, scanners, or even your iPhone. This means that the colors of images you edit in Pixelmator will look absolutely perfect outside Pixelmator and across all of your Apple devices.
Pixelmator is available on the Mac App Store for $29.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Pixelmator Adds New Color Profile Management and CMYK Support
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:03 PM   #2
Sean4000
macrumors member

My dream has come true. CMYK support at long last!!!!

The last reason for me to use photoshop has been nullified. We can finally leave PS behind at long last.

My Company, Visual Electric Co., will save thousands of dollars on licenses Adobe will now lose out on. We're tired of paying out the nose for Photoshop. Amen for competition.

This will be a day long remembered.

Last edited by Sean4000; Nov 8, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Sean4000 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:13 PM   #3
bruinselmann
macrumors member

This application is just fantastic, and a shining example of how successful an app can be when it's priced properly. This, for a lot of users, has replaced Photoshop, for God's sake - and it's just $30!

Now, if only they were to release an iOS version...
bruinselmann is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:22 PM   #4
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

CMYK support. I don't know what that means but I like it.
BornAgainMac is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Jamieserg
macrumors newbie

Recently started using pixelmator to replace photoshop CS4. Haven't looked back. brilliant app. brilliant price.
Jamieserg is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:28 PM   #6
extricated
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinselmann View Post
This application is just fantastic, and a shining example of how successful an app can be when it's priced properly. This, for a lot of users, has replaced Photoshop, for God's sake - and it's just $30!

I've wondered about picking it up. CMYK support is great to hear.
Does anyone else out there think it's a viable alternative to Photoshop?
extricated is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:33 PM   #7
kevinfulton.ca
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainMac View Post
CMYK support. I don't know what that means but I like it.
Web and video use RGB (Red, Green, Blue) color standards while print uses CYMK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and blacK). Not a big deal if your editing for digital uses, but this was one of the last pieces needed for me to cut my Photoshop ties. At least for home use.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:35 PM   #8
coder12
macrumors 6502

They've been great with updates lately, I love the retina support, and CMYK is just icing on the cake
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:38 PM   #9
gnurf
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extricated View Post
I
It's at least an alternative to the Lite edition. I'm no artist, but I have some print material that could benefit now. Pixelmator will continue to get my attention if it keeps improving like this
gnurf is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:40 PM   #10
Johnf1285
macrumors 6502a

I love Pixelmator it's the best app I use it suites my needs from a web design standpoint wonderfully. A great Photoshop replacement. Wonder if they'll ever consider an Illustrator type of app?
Johnf1285 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:42 PM   #11
iLuvMyMacToo
macrumors regular

Great news! I recently went to Pixelmator because PS is getting way to expensive to maintain every time Adobe decides to update... er upgrade.. it. I've done most of my recent designs with Pixelmator and CMYK support is just what I wanted.
iLuvMyMacToo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:44 PM   #12
kevinfulton.ca
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It's a BIG time viable alternative, but it depends on your needs. I'd say it rests comfortably between PS Elements and PS. If all you need is the core PS features (masking, brushes, color replace etc.) then you'll love this app. If you need Layer Styles, Actions, or want to rotoscope a video clip then you'll need to buck up the big bucks for the full version of PS. For under $50 it's worth it just to check it out. Chances are you'll still use it for simpler tasks, because once you get used to the UI (it takes a little bit) you'll be blown away by how fast it is.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:44 PM   #13
scottrichardson
macrumors 6502

Give us non destructive layer styles, adjustment styles, and I'll switch tomorrow.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:28 PM   #14
andyone
macrumors member

Now if only Pages would finally support CMYK...
andyone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:31 PM   #15
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

Love it! updated went well.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:01 PM   #16
MacDav
Banned

Hmm...Might give it a try. I use Photoshop for just about everything related to Photos and creative changes.
MacDav is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:09 PM   #17
CrickettGrrrl
macrumors 6502a

I totally, absolutely LOVE this app! Going to download the update now, yay! I prefer it to PhotoShop now, ---just doodling or quickly laying out an idea even, just more fluid than PS. Every update is icing on the cake.
CrickettGrrrl is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:11 PM   #18
Exotic-Car Man
macrumors regular

Now if only my color printer printed that quickly...
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:23 PM   #19
CrickettGrrrl
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf1285 View Post
I love Pixelmator it's the best app I use it suites my needs from a web design standpoint wonderfully. A great Photoshop replacement. Wonder if they'll ever consider an Illustrator type of app?
Try iDraw, it's in the Mac App Store, and looks a lot like Pixelmator. I've been using it to do vector tutorials from Vector tuts+. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles but is still viable, and wonderfully fluid.

----------

Quote:
Go to PXM-Tuts.com and check out the lessons there. I use both Photoshop and Pixelmator, and Pixelmator has become my first choice for doodling ideas & beyond, it's just great. The developers have been issuing a lot of updates with added features. Show some love and maybe we'll get some layer styles, & other goodies too. Pixelmator does a lot stuff that Photoshop does, but somewhat differently. Do some of the tuts online and it's easy to get the hang of it, so fluid to Mac. Feel like I'm just scratching the surface.

Last edited by CrickettGrrrl; Nov 8, 2012 at 04:32 PM.
CrickettGrrrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:29 PM   #20
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Still no 16-bit editing support????
Razeus is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:38 PM   #21
r.harris1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Still no 16-bit editing support????
Considering at one point the developers said they weren't ever going to deliver CMYK (at least in my memory reading their forums), my guess is that 16-bit will happen at least reasonably soon.
r.harris1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:06 PM   #22
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinselmann View Post

Sure has It was a good alternative to Photoshop for me, as it has everything I need (and a lot more) and it's at a reasonable price. No wonder everyone pirates Photoshop when it costs over $500...
mrsir2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:25 PM   #23
sylwiusz
macrumors newbie

Well, actually the other Photoshop alternative - Photoline, had been CMYK-compatible for many years. Not such a eye candy but I think it is still closer to Photoshop in terms of features, than Pixelmator. You can download trial at http://pl32.com/
sylwiusz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:29 PM   #24
Yvan256
macrumors 601

I'd love to see 15-bit, 16-bit and 18-bit color reduction (with dithering options), because not all LCDs are 24-bit.

I'm also wondering if their Web slicing tools have improved since the last time I tried the demo version.
Yvan256 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:40 PM   #25
baryon
macrumors 68030

It's great to have a well-priced, modern and minimalistic application like this in a world where Photoshop is pretty much the only pixel editor out there. Adobe has a lot to learn from them!

On the other hand, Photoshop has so many features that it's nearly impossible to replace it for someone who needs things like Scripting, Smart Objects, Adjustment Layers, etc. Photoshop is fantastic, but it's important to have a solid alternative and know that you don't need Photoshop unless you need some quite specific things.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion