Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A number of U.S. customers who pre-ordered cellular-capable models of the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad are now reporting that their order statuses have been updated to reflect delivery estimates right around Thanksgiving.

Many MacRumors forum members are reporting that they are now seeing delivery dates of Wednesday, November 21, although several are seeing deliveries scheduled for Tuesday, November 20.

ipad_mini_cellular_nov21.jpg

We've received a couple of reports regarding the cellular-capable models of the fourth-generation iPad, with delivery of those orders currently scheduled for November 23, which is Black Friday.

ipad_4_cellular_nov23.jpg

Apple had previously listed similar delivery timeframes for U.S. pre-orders, but removed those dates and replaced them with "mid-November" estimates before returning to the more specific dates today. Cellular-capable iPad mini and iPad models are arriving in the U.S. first, with other countries seeing deliveries following later in the month.

MacRumors has also received unconfirmed word from one source saying that AT&T will be launching in-store sales of the cellular-capable models of the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad on Friday, November 16. This would appear to be somewhat inconsistent with pre-order deliveries not occurring until the following week, as Apple typically times deliveries and in-person launches for the same timeframe. Apple's pre-order delivery dates may, however, be subject to change.

Update 2:07 PM: We've heard from one customer who called Apple and was able to have his standard shipping upgraded free of charge to Next Day Shipping due to his travel plans, and his fourth-generation iPad order is now showing delivery on Friday, November 16.

ipad_4_cellular_nov16.jpg

(Thanks, Michael!)

Article Link: Cellular iPad Mini and iPad Models Arriving in U.S. Thanksgiving Week, AT&T Launching November 16?

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
I still would like to use it as a phone. But I think I'm just misunderstood.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
voip should work well enough over lte eh? I haven't had the pleasure of trying it.

Yes. But it would be great if it could work like a regular phone. Just for that handful of calls I receive. Last time I asked, the guys in the Apple store looked at me rather oddly. I suppose I said something I shouldn't have. :D

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Man, I'm scared to go to an Apple Store and seeing it first-hand.

I'm afraid if I do, I'll be out ~$700 that day...;)

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
If AT&T stores get them in stock before I have my pre-order delivery, I will be VERY upset. The whole purpose and integrity of Apple's pre-order process will be in question.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Need to have stock (inventory) before the holidays

as simple as that. Hopefully we will see stock rolling out more stores end of next week and available for the week of thanksgiving.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Yes. But it would be great if it could work like a regular phone. Just for that handful of calls I receive. Last time I asked, the guys in the Apple store looked at me rather oddly. I suppose I said something I shouldn't have. :D

heh, I believe it is possible with google voice with talkatone (no extra fees) or a similar service. The experience would lack the Apple polish though. My experience with voip over 3g has been spotty at best.

I've heard people with ipod touch's making calls over wifi this way. I'd be curious if it worked well over LTE. Could save some major $$ avoiding the voice plans.

Last edited:

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
If AT&T stores get them in stock before I have my pre-order delivery, I will be VERY upset. The whole purpose and integrity of Apple's pre-order process will be in question.

I agree. I was up at 3 AM ordering my mini and iPad 4. I must justify that to myself and having AT&T stores getting them before me would hurt. :D

eim23x

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
Mine says the following
iPad mini with Wi-Fi + Cellular for Verizon 64GB - White & Silver
Available to ship: 5 business days
Delivers Nov 21 via Standard Shipping

I am waiting for this to ship and then i will order
iPad with Retina display Wi-Fi + Cellular for Verizon 64GB - White

HDJulie

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 13, 2008
Little Rock, AR
If the stores have them on the 16th then I'll just buy at the store & return my preorders the following week when they arrive.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I wish I didn't have to get the cellular version, but the WiFi only doesn't come with true GPS.

engg2000

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Comment, NO
I still would like to use it as a phone. But I think I'm just misunderstood.

You actually can and you would look real cool doing it. Just like when people use the full size iPad to take video in public places!
But seriously, if you want to use it as a phone, there are so many ways to do it.
Free outgoing phone calls: "Magicjack" app
Free outgoing/incoming phonecalls: Sign up for a USA google account, add google voice account and use the app: "Talkatone"

If you want to make it look like you are making calls from another phone number such as your cell, go to Voip.ms and get a paid VOIP number. Then, use the app "Bria".
They all work okay on a good 3G data plan but they work really well on LTE.

There's my helpful VOIP tip of the year.

jdegid

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
You actually can and you would look real cool doing it! Just like when people use the full size iPad to take video in public places!

That made me laugh :D

soccer mom the other day in front of us taking video with iPad ... "hey lady we can't see the game!!"

macribas

macrumors member
May 22, 2008
Austin, TX

Sorry, but you're missing the point. The pre-order (wrong term by the way, it is a real order) exists to give customers a hassle-free way of getting the new devices. Apple never promised that by pre-ordering online you'd get your device before the stores. The process was not created to allow some people to receive their device before everyone "the masses".
The purpose is to allow more people to be able to buy it first hand, not just the ones that live near a physical outlet, or the ones that have time and energy to be there. Sure, it drives more revenue for Apple, but it is about convenience, not exclusivity. As a matter of fact, I would argue that those that stay in lines and physically make an effort to be one of the first should really get it first.

BMNB1tch

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
meh

:confused:

still dont see the point

the bezel is really sharp too...
the fonts are too small...

fits great in a purse, but what if you're a dude...

engg2000

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Comment, NO

Exactly! Because if people stand all night in line and get it before you, that makes you lose. I get it, it's a race between you and everyone who shops at AT&T.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
meh

:confused:

still dont see the point

the bezel is really sharp too...
the fonts are too small...

fits great in a purse, but what if you're a dude...

It fits perfect in the inside pocket of a suit jacket. It will probably fit in that same pocket on any of your winter coats and certainly in the side glove pockets. Finally, it will fit in your back pocket in a pair of jeans. Of course then you run the risk of sitting on it. Or having it swiped. But in any case it will be much more dude friendly portable than the current iPad.

Oh and it will fit in cargo pant pockets.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Sorry, but you're missing the point. The pre-order (wrong term by the way, it is a real order) exists to give customers a hassle-free way of getting the new devices. Apple never promised that by pre-ordering online you'd get your device before the stores. The process was not created to allow some people to receive their device before everyone "the masses".
The purpose is to allow more people to be able to buy it first hand, not just the ones that live near a physical outlet, or the ones that have time and energy to be there. Sure, it drives more revenue for Apple, but it is about convenience, not exclusivity. As a matter of fact, I would argue that those that stay in lines and physically make an effort to be one of the first should really get it first.

Huh? Are you new to the Apple ecosystem? Because everything you said is completely contrary to any launch in the previous 10 years of product releases at Apple. Apple has ALWAYS 100% delivered the models to pre-order customers (at least those in the first batch) ON or BEFORE the in-store launch date...

You may want to check your facts. Yeah, there is no guarantee, but most people accept past practice as a pretty good indication of future experience.

And people who do line up at 3 am do get it first... not sure how you feel that's "deserved" any more than Apple holding my money for 2 weeks without paying me interest... but regardless, "launch day" should either be the same for delivery\in store purchase, or they should disclose that based on a difference from past practice.

----------

Exactly! Because if people stand all night in line and get it before you, that makes you lose. I get it, it's a race between you and everyone who shops at AT&T.

Anyone who shops at an AT&T store is already at a disadvantage the moment they walk in the door, hehehe. ;-)

----------

It fits perfect in the inside pocket of a suit jacket. It will probably fit in that same pocket on any of your winter coats and certainly in the side glove pockets. Finally, it will fit in your back pocket in a pair of jeans. Of course then you run the risk of sitting on it. Or having it swiped. But in any case it will be much more dude friendly portable than the current iPad.

Oh and it will fit in cargo pant pockets.

OMG, where do you all shop that sells pants with such ginormous pockets? I'm not a small guy, and the iPad isn't "huge" but I can't imagine putting it in my pocket. LOL

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
voip should work well enough over lte eh? I haven't had the pleasure of trying it.

it would be speakerphone only though :-/

I've been using Skype over iPad for my only phone line ever since iPad 1 hit the shelves. Never tried it on speakerphone. I always just use the wired headphones, BT headset, or BT car system. Works fine.

I bought an iPad mini yesterday. As soon as I got home, I got out of the car, it slipped out of my hand, and the screen shattered. Brand new, and its ruined. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.