Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Elyquin
macrumors member

iPad 1 freqently crashing... anyone else?

My iPad 1 crashes a lot. Programs close abruptly. I have all other programs off, and I delete the Safari caches.

Anyone else's iPad 1 crashing all the time? Apple iOS updates do not support iPad 1 any more.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:44 PM   #2
ugcop
macrumors Demi-God

I use my iPad 1 every day. Gestures turned off. Safari set to not use tabs. Last update 5.1.1. No increase in crashes.
ugcop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:53 PM   #3
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502a

They're not crashing as frequently as a few months ago, and frankly I don't know why. I turned off gestures a few weeks ago, but the stabilization had begun before then. The Business Insider app is the one that crashes the most often: at least every other launch. Safari crashes maybe once a week.

How do you delete Safari's cache? I thought that 5.0 removed that option.
CoMoMacUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:06 PM   #4
Elyquin
macrumors member

Ok.. I turned off gestures.

In settings > Safari screen: there is Clear history and Clear Cookies and Data options.

I really didn't see the point of getting the newer iPads since the original does the internet and movies just fine. However, it has been very frustrating with programs crashing.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:11 PM   #5
Ladybug
macrumors 6502a

You might want to turn iCloud off as well and just turn it on weekly and let it backup, then off again. The iPad 1 gets low on ram then it crashes.
Ladybug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:11 PM   #6
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyquin View Post
In settings > Safari screen: there is Clear history and Clear Cookies and Data options.
So "data" is now "cache"? I wonder why Apple changed the term. At any rate, I can't clear that because I don't want to lose a bunch of useful cookies.
CoMoMacUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:11 PM   #7
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

iPad 1 has very outdated hardware and minuscule amount of RAM which is the main reason for your frequent app and safari crashing. Although it was released in 2010, it practically has the hardware of the 2009 iPhone 3GS - the CPU is overclocked to 1GHz and the graphics chip is the same, RAM is the same. However, it has 5 times more pixels to push.

That means its performance is even worse than the 3GS.

That's why Apple doesn't support it anymore.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:07 PM   #8
dinapea
macrumors member

V1 iPad

I picked up one iPad mini and returned it the next day. I also own, use and LOVE my iPhone5. Aside from the camera, there's nothing else I needed with a new iPad until iPad Mini with retina display.....That'll be the next deciding factor in owning a new ipad! I'm also getting bored with my nearly 2 year MacBook Pro and contemplating a new Mac Air.

But to answer your question/concern. No evident crashes. I use it mainly to organize photos while I travel, surf and read....my DD occasionally plays some games on it!

So many gadgets so little time (& spare $$)

D in TO
dinapea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:59 PM   #9
filmbuff
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
iPad 1 has very outdated hardware and minuscule amount of RAM which is the main reason for your frequent app and safari crashing. Although it was released in 2010, it practically has the hardware of the 2009 iPhone 3GS - the CPU is overclocked to 1GHz and the graphics chip is the same, RAM is the same. However, it has 5 times more pixels to push.

That means its performance is even worse than the 3GS.

That's why Apple doesn't support it anymore.
Yes, but it worked fantastic when it first came out. Several iOS updates later it is slow as hell. And it isn't even possible to revert to 4.2!
filmbuff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:28 AM   #10
328xi
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyquin View Post
My iPad 1 crashes a lot. Programs close abruptly. I have all other programs off, and I delete the Safari caches.

Anyone else's iPad 1 crashing all the time? Apple iOS updates do not support iPad 1 any more.
I just got rid of mine and bought a mini. My was crashing on every app. Seems like it started after updating apps the were optimized for iOS 6 that are trying to run on 5.01.
328xi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:03 AM   #11
ghellquist
macrumors regular

Finding the reason for system crashes can be like solving a riddle. Can take a bit of time and imagination.
You might want to look at the log to see why it crashes. It might be one or a few apps that are responsible most of the time. Or they could be eating up memory making other programs crash from out of memory.
The log is in the settings panel somewhere, you have to search for it. (My unit is in Swedish and the names to click probably will not help you).

It might be a good idea to reset the unit to factory settings as that will clear out everything in the system. Remember to back up first! Then only downloading the apps you know you will be using.

Safari does crash now and then, depending on what websites you visit, some are more prone than others.

// Gunnar
ghellquist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:56 AM   #12
Ubele
macrumors 6502

My wife and I loved our iPad 1's, but they were crashing all the time with apps that had heavy graphic content, especially web pages. Given that we use our iPads every day, we decided to take the plunge and get iPad 4's. Aside from not crashing, they're lightning fast, and the Retina screen is gorgeous. I subsequently talked with a couple of coworkers who don't have a crashing problem with their iPad 1's, and the key seems to be not having multiple tabs open in Safari. But these coworkers don't use their iPads for more than web browsing and reading email. If you're a heavy user, and you have the funds, I recommend upgrading to an iPad 4 (or a Mini, if you prefer). My wife's iPad 1 will become a recipe server in the kitchen, and mine will become my "away from the house" iPad for reading ebooks, checking email, occasional web browsing, etc. If something happens to it out in the field, it's better to lose an old iPad 1 than a new iPad 4, which will remain safely at home.
Ubele is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:45 PM   #13
testcard
macrumors 65816

Twitter crashes regularly, even after re-installing.
testcard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:28 PM   #14
Ferengi47
macrumors newbie

iPad crashing

have been having problems with Facebook and a Zynga game for the past few weeks. Keep crashing, especially when scrolling. No probs with any other apps. Very annoying! Any recent changes I don't know about?
Ferengi47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:15 PM   #15
anemone
macrumors member

Oh yes

Up until a couple of weeks ago when I got a new iPad 4 I was using an iPad 1 and yes, I had lots and lots of crashes, and it drove me batty.

From my attempts to do multiple restores and to play with the settings to see if I could make my iPad 1 usable again I do have some advice.

First you have to accept that many newer, powerful apps will never run well on an iPad 1 and will crash constantly. The same is true for web sites that make heavy use of JavaScript or graphics.

Turn off as many iCloud functions as possible, especially photostream. Calendar/ Contacts didn't cause me a problem, but photo stream, apps that save to iCloud (especially art/ photography apps) and Notes did.

Only use notifications and location services on the apps where you really need or want them. It seems to help to eliminate as many background processes as possible to mange use of the minimal RAM in the iPad 1.

Try turning off JavaScript temporarily under Safari settings when you need to if you're getting frequent Safari crashes. It will limit the functionality of many sites, but if you need to visit a site where you're getting frequent crashes, it may help. I also agree with the previous poster about not having multiple Safari tabs open.

As you can imagine, limiting the iPad in these ways isn't ideal, and once I realized the iPad 1 just couldn't do everything I needed it to do any more no matter what I tried, I upgraded. I love my new iPad 4, BTW.

Yes, the iPad one worked beautifully 2 years ago, but now, with all the big retina apps and apps designed for iPads with 4x the RAM and a faster processor than the iPad 1 it just isn't true anymore.

My husband now uses the iPad 1, but it works fine for him as an e-reader, video streamer, and email reader, which is mostly what he uses it for. He is not a power user.
anemone is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad