Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Notoriously difficult video game classic Dragon's Lair has arrived on OS X nearly thirty years after its original release on LaserDisc. The game features video transferred directly from the high definition film master. Ports of the game have previously been released for both iPhone and iPad.

Dragon's Lair was unlike any other video game when it was released back in 1983. Instead of using low-definition sprites, the game used more traditional animation to show game play, with the user executing actions by timing sword swings or other button presses to correctly to clear each level.

NewImage11.png
You control the actions of the daring adventurer, finding your way through the castle of a dark wizard, who has enchanted it with treacherous monsters and obstacles. In the mysterious caverns below the castle, your odyssey continues against the awesome forces that oppose your efforts to reach the dragon's lair. Dragon's Lair is a fully animated classic arcade game from legendary animator Don Bluth. You'll make your way through the castle and caverns below and wield your sword against some strange creatures. Beware of your foes, as they are numerous!
Dragon's Lair is available for $9.99 on the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Classic Video Game 'Dragon's Lair' Comes to OS X

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
The headline should read "come to the Mac App Store" because it has been on the Mac several times, in many different iterations.

This game is well known to be one of the most ported and re-released games of all time.

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
Heh, finally. :)

... great. Finally to the 30% cut takers, maybe.

Yeah, I have two Dragon's Lair, and a Space Ace, and Thayer's Quest machine here.

Had 'em since 1985-ish.

sculfort

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2008
Is this like nightrap or double switch for sega cd where you just time the correct button to push?

beejam

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
Princess Daphne... I was 13 when this first hit the arcades... that' all I'm sayin' ;)

LaDirection

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2006
My first memory of this in the arcade:

Pop in a quarter. "Wow, there's a cartoon playing!"

- GAME OVER -

RobDee

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
My first memory of this in the arcade:

Pop in a quarter. "Wow, there's a cartoon playing!"

- GAME OVER -

I think it was £1 (or maybe 50p – can anyone confirm?) a go when I played in our local store.

Yeah, GAME OVER. Shocking the amount of money I spent on it, and I never completed it...

Last edited:

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
The novelty of Dragons Lair (sounds like "Dragon Slayer") was the animated cartoon graphics by using a 12" laser disk. Before this game, graphics were generally black backgrounds with primitive 8 or 16 bit jagged images. Dragon's Lair was the first upright video game to price at 50¢ per play, from a quarter, and had kids lined up to play. Until they got bored.

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
I can still remember that first time I saw the thing, in a Show Biz Pizza Place location. I saw the graphics, then looked down and saw the coin door.

Fifty-cents!?! Oh man!

About the time Space Ace came out, I was able to score a machine because the Pioneer 7820 LaserDisc player had gone stupid. I learned how to align them by hand, and replace laser tubes. It was a lot of fun back then. Word got around.. and within a couple years I had 6 of them, and had fixed many others. I put them on location with the laserdisc players suspended on air cushions and would bolt two or three cabinets together if I had two or more games at one location. That way they were much harder to kick and rock back and forth. Mine tended to last a lot longer that way.

Space Ace and Thayer's Quest made me quite a bit during my high school years. It was really cool, I could write my own reports for Work Experience credit, since I had game route during the last two years of high school. With a flat bed pickup, it wasn't uncommon for me to have game machines on the back, and sometimes at Lunch, if I had pinball machines I'd run an extension cord from a near by building and let people play since they were at the right height when they were on the back of the truck, with the legs removed.

Lots of fun..

But it is much more fun .. on the laserdisc based system. The computer ports just don't do it for me.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
The novelty of Dragons Lair (sounds like "Dragon Slayer") was the animated cartoon graphics by using a 12" laser disk. Before this game, graphics were generally black backgrounds with primitive 8 or 16 bit jagged images. Dragon's Lair was the first upright video game to price at 50¢ per play, from a quarter, and had kids lined up to play. Until they got bored.

And now, kids pay 99 cents one time to carry an awesome video game in their pocket with them all the time, and they complain its too expensive! :)

Spending $5 at the arcade every Saturday would be like an $80 a month App Store habit these days. Crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.