Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rokusho1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
At my University we have been set the task of creating the Collatz Conjecture on Matlab. Where you take a positive integer and if the number is odd multiply it by 3 and add 1, if it is even divide it by two. Apply the same rule to the number you just generated and keep repeating the rule until you eventually reach 1. Here is the question:
1. "given an integer, n, as an input, generates the Collatz sequence for n, terminating when (if) the sequence reaches 1. It should then print the sequence to the screen along with the length of the sequence and the highest number to appear in the sequence. "
If there is anyone out there who can help it would be much appreciated.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Given that MATLAB can handle C, and that you can write pretty hefty programs right inside it, I'd suggest that you broaden your search to include programming websites where C/C++ is well known.

I would wager that it would be relatively simple to write such a thing in C and have MATLAB execute it.

(Sadly I am not a programmer, and it is beyond me - I'm a practical inorganic chemist and I use MATLAB for cftool and other such graphing abilities, but I've seen some of the stuff that the physical chemistry guys do with it that tells me it's possible).

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Please answer this question: What Have You Tried?

The simplest thing to try is googling. If I google the most obvious search terms, Collatz Conjecture on Matlab, taking directly from the first sentence of your post, I see plenty of results.

But if you're doing this as homework or a project for which you'll receive credit, I suspect that more than simply googling, copying, and pasting is called for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.