Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:35 PM   #1
swiftaw
macrumors 603

Stay Classy Romney Campaign :) [campaign cancels staffers credit cards]

Romney campaign cancels its staffers credit cards while they are still working:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/helaineo...-of-the-night/

Last edited by swiftaw; Nov 8, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
swiftaw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:40 PM   #2
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

Next time be classy and include something of the article in your post. It could be a snippet of the article or at least a headline.

Otherwise, his campaign is over he doesn't have to pay people's credit cards anymore.
obeygiant is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:45 PM   #3
swiftaw
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
Next time be classy and include something of the article in your post. It could be a snippet of the article or at least a headline.

Otherwise, his campaign is over he doesn't have to pay people's credit cards anymore.
True, but it isn't entirely smart (or classy).
swiftaw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

Romney aides on their way home from his "victory" party "got rude awakenings when they found the credit cards linked to the campaign no longer worked."

oh well
Macky-Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:02 PM   #5
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Such is life. I'm sure the same would have happened had Obama lost.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:18 PM   #6
AP_piano295
macrumors 65816

Oh how surprising you make bed fellows with a bunch of greedy un-compassionate bastards and you're surprised when they screw you out of a few hundred bucks when they don't need you anymore.

I guess they should just rely on themselves instead of sponging of the Romney campaign .
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:24 PM   #7
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Such is life. I'm sure the same would have happened had Obama lost.
I highly doubt that. If this is true, this shows just how pitiful of a man Romney is, along with the people in charge of his campaign. Take the people who have poured themselves into helping you and dump them at the end. Precisely why I hope I never have to work for some pretentious blowhard like that.

What's even sadder is people agreeing with it.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:18 AM   #8
FreeState
macrumors 68000

Quote:

The campaign may have ended, but it, the organization, is still alive, it still has bills to pay, paperwork to file and business to finish up. Turning off staffers phone in the middle of the night right after he lost is deplorable behavior and bad business. At least tell them, or let them know ahead. These people worked their asses off for him, he slapped them in their faces.

Last edited by FreeState; Nov 9, 2012 at 03:18 AM.
FreeState is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:26 AM   #9

With this attitude Romney was always going to fail

At least the right man for the job won
725032 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:16 AM   #10
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
I highly doubt that. If this is true, this shows just how pitiful of a man Romney is, along with the people in charge of his campaign. Take the people who have poured themselves into helping you and dump them at the end. Precisely why I hope I never have to work for some pretentious blowhard like that.

What's even sadder is people agreeing with it.
Exactly.

Whatever about Mr Romney's message, strategy and tactics (and I have long thought all of them a dreadful indictment of his attitudes and outlook), this behaviour and conduct is very telling.

Here, we have a man, who has just sought the highest office in his country, (and, thankfully, failed to win it), and who, in the course of the campaign, showed not just women, blacks, Latinos, gays that he holds them in utter contempt, but, also, as soon as the campaign is over, he shows, tellingly, that he holds people who have worked their hearts out for him in equal contempt.

You do not send your workers home on the last day without ensuring that they have the means to get there safely. You do not treat your staff with such flagrant disrespect. Seeing that they have the means to get home safely is just basic manners, courtesy and consideration - qualities that people from the old deep South traditionally prided themselves on having; but, evidently, not Mr Romney.

As a man, as a human being, this is a very revealing action, and appalling behaviour. Proof, if further proof were needed, that the electorate returned the right verdict this week when they returned Barack Obama to the White House for a second term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeState View Post
The campaign may have ended, but it, the organization, is still alive, it still has bills to pay, paperwork to file and business to finish up. Turning off staffers phone in the middle of the night right after he lost is deplorable behavior and bad business. At least tell them, or let them know ahead. These people worked their asses off for him, he slapped them in their faces.
Agree completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post
With this attitude Romney was always going to fail

At least the right man for the job won
Amen to that.

Last edited by Scepticalscribe; Nov 9, 2012 at 08:27 AM.
Scepticalscribe is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:21 AM   #11
DollaTwentyFive
macrumors Demi-God

Those campaign workers were part of the 47% looking for handouts. Living on the campaign dole.

It isn't Mr. Romney's job to worry about them.
DollaTwentyFive is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:22 AM   #12
OneMike
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeState View Post
This was pretty much my thoughts.

The cards and such were provided for business use. There is still business to be completed, despite the loss. Whatever, sore loser.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:23 AM   #13
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 11, 2013 at 08:01 AM.
  3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:30 AM   #14
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Pretty SOP for a losing campaign to reign in the spending after a loss like this. Having campaign cards cut off is not uncommon for a campaign of this scale, as everything now shifts to expense reports and centralized payment of bills to make sure that there is no wasteful spending.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:48 AM   #15
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
Pretty SOP for a losing campaign to reign in the spending after a loss like this. Having campaign cards cut off is not uncommon for a campaign of this scale, as everything now shifts to expense reports and centralized payment of bills to make sure that there is no wasteful spending.
That's fine, and expected within a few days and with some notice. But seriously? Within hours of the results, before your staffers could even make it home? Come on. That is a straight up FU.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:52 AM   #16
geekgirl
macrumors regular

Quote:
But don't you think that perhaps someone should have TOLD them this was going to happen? "Oh, by the way, you have to find your own way home tonight, turn in your credit cards and phones when you leave." Still a dick move, but at least more honest than letting people get stuck with a declined card for cab fare, and no phone at 1:00 am in the morning. These people weren't going out and trying to buy computers and such, they were trying to get back to hotels.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:01 AM   #17
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgirl View Post
But don't you think that perhaps someone should have TOLD them this was going to happen? "Oh, by the way, you have to find your own way home tonight, turn in your credit cards and phones when you leave." Still a dick move, but at least more honest than letting people get stuck with a declined card for cab fare, and no phone at 1:00 am in the morning. These people weren't going out and trying to buy computers and such, they were trying to get back to hotels.
And they will surely be reimbursed for their expense. But we're talking about a national campaign with hundreds of cards out in the field. Letting everyone know ahead of time is impractical for two reasons:

1.) Outside of the concession speech, campaigns ALWAYS work under the assumption they are going to win. Folks are always trying to stay positive, so contingencies for if we lose never get past a couple of people on the upper levels of campaign executives.

2.) Folks with cards are spread out all over hell and back. Once they lost trying to get in touch with all of them would take forever.

For staffers on a major national campaign that were trusted enough with spending privilege....they really should not have been caught off guard by this.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:08 AM   #18
DollaTwentyFive
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:

2.) Folks with cards are spread out all over hell and back. Once they lost trying to get in touch with all of them would take forever.
I'm fairly confident that anyone high enough in the campaign to actually HAVE a campaign credit card is going to be pretty well connected. The campaign staffers are in constant contact with one another. I'm sure a quick email would have been easy and would have reached most, if not all of those with credit cards.
DollaTwentyFive is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:13 AM   #19
Fazzy
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Are you genuinely too lazy to click the link or are you just a PO'ed guy who voted romney?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:28 AM   #20
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
And they will surely be reimbursed for their expense. But we're talking about a national campaign with hundreds of cards out in the field. Letting everyone know ahead of time is impractical for two reasons:

1.) Outside of the concession speech, campaigns ALWAYS work under the assumption they are going to win. Folks are always trying to stay positive, so contingencies for if we lose never get past a couple of people on the upper levels of campaign executives.

For staffers on a major national campaign that were trusted enough with spending privilege....they really should not have been caught off guard by this.
Sounds like a pretty bad way to run a business. Oh, wait...
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:21 AM   #21
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazzy View Post
Are you genuinely too lazy to click the link or are you just a PO'ed guy who voted romney?
No and No. But its not too much to ask when someone makes a thread and its considered bad form when you don't.
obeygiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:39 AM   #22
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
....For staffers on a major national campaign that were trusted enough with spending privilege....they really should not have been caught off guard by this.
they were cut off while at his "victory" party and couldn't pay their cab fare home from "celebrating"

Quote:
No and No. But its not too much to ask when someone makes a thread and its considered bad form when you don't.
agreed......at least put a sample of what's supposed to support the topic
Macky-Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:59 AM   #23
balamw

MOD NOTE: how to start a new thread is actually part of the rules.

Quote:
Reposting. Please don't repost entire articles from other sites. To initiate a discussion about an article, post a link to the article, quote a bit of it if you like, and include your own comments or questions so people know why you think it's worthy of discussion.
balamw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:00 PM   #24
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
MOD NOTE: how to start a new thread is actually part of the rules.
Rules? We don't need no stinking rules!

The only question I want to know the answer to is whether the campaign staff had already been made aware of a policy about the cards post-election. If so, what was the policy.

If there was no policy, and the cards were being used for travel and/or lodging, then this was pretty poorly managed.
mcrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:12 PM   #25
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgirl View Post
But don't you think that perhaps someone should have TOLD them this was going to happen? "Oh, by the way, you have to find your own way home tonight, turn in your credit cards and phones when you leave."
Considering that Romney didn't even consider that he might lose or that he should write a concession speech just in case, it doesn't surprise me that people were not told what would happen. They were in a bubble. That should have been a danger sign to everyone on the campaign. Confidence is great. But anytime someone gets too cocky and thinks things are a sure bet, they usually find themselves losing.

Quote:

As someone else said, there is this little invention we have now, called email. I assume that if they were out in the field doing work, that they were being guided by daily emails. This would have been just another one of those directives.
MadeTheSwitch is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues