Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dstopsie

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
Hi.

I called power support today and asked them whether they are going to be having the screen protectors for the iPad Mini and they said that they definitely are they just don't have a release date for them yet

phantomsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
Long time Power Support user... recently switched to Spigen SGP for all my iOS and Android devices. VERY satisfied with the quality. PS also makes a quality product but they take way too long to release them.

Dstopsie

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
I bought the sog for my iphone 5. Didn't like the quality and last week went to power support store and purchased crystal films. Much better quality in my opinion and easier to apply. I'll just wait for power support.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Same here, used PS, but switched to SGP bc they release them fast and if the early release if defective or the fit is not right, they'll send you a replacement free. That's what happened to the iPhone 5. I ordered the SGP for my mini.

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I've used crystal screens from both companies, they are for all intensive purposes the same. Both are easy to apply (dry static) and both have good customer service.

Lend27

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2004
Any tricks to applying the SGP screen protector without bubbles.
I always have problems with that type of screen protector. Is it actually possible to get a bubble free install? Bubbles bug me :)

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
take the film without removing the protective front and backing and position the film on the device lined up exactly how you want it

create a hinge using scotch tape on one side of the device so that the film is secured to the device from one side, ensure after the hinge is secured that flipping the film back on top of the device lines it up as desired, also put a piece of scotch tape on the opposite side of the hinge to be used as a handle

slowly peel the backing (device side or underside) from the film as your swinging the film back onto the device from the hinged side. make sure the film surface closest to the hinge applies first, it helps to bow the film as your doing this, proceed across the device

if major bubbles form lift the film up and try again.

make sure your work area is clean of dust and that the screen is squeaky clean.

successful application using this method requires that the hinge is secure and lined up accurately with where you want the film to lineup on the device after its swung over

Lend27

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2004
take the film without removing the protective front and backing and position the film on the device lined up exactly how you want it

create a hinge using scotch tape on one side of the device so that the film is secured to the device from one side, ensure after the hinge is secured that flipping the film back on top of the device lines it up as desired, also put a piece of scotch tape on the opposite side of the hinge to be used as a handle

slowly peel the backing (device side or underside) from the film as your swinging the film back onto the device from the hinged side. make sure the film surface closest to the hinge applies first, it helps to bow the film as your doing this, proceed across the device

if major bubbles form lift the film up and try again.

make sure your work area is clean of dust and that the screen is squeaky clean.

successful application using this method requires that the hinge is secure and lined up accurately with where you want the film to lineup on the device after its swung over

Thanks! That makes perfect sense. #
I'll try that on Wednesday when it arrives.

dbdynsty25

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
Thousand Oaks, CA
The problem with the SGP Crystal I put on my Mini is that it shows way too many finger prints. Yes, it protects the screen, but it's a lot more difficult to clean than the naken Mini screen. Obviously that's because it's glass vs. plastic and treated with some olephobic coating vs. not, but I'm not sure I like the tradeoff. Seems to me that screen protectors on iPads/Minis are a little over kill...it's not like you're pocketing the device where it can get scratched with sand/keys/coins/etc. so as long as you use a cover of some sort when you put it in a bag you should be fine. But maybe that's just me.

I was a huge fan of the PS protectors on my iPhone back when I used one, so maybe I'll try one of theirs on the mini when they are released, see if there is any difference with regards to fingerprints/cleaning.

allapon

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
The problem with the SGP Crystal I put on my Mini is that it shows way too many finger prints. Yes, it protects the screen, but it's a lot more difficult to clean than the naken Mini screen. Obviously that's because it's glass vs. plastic and treated with some olephobic coating vs. not, but I'm not sure I like the tradeoff. Seems to me that screen protectors on iPads/Minis are a little over kill...it's not like you're pocketing the device where it can get scratched with sand/keys/coins/etc. so as long as you use a cover of some sort when you put it in a bag you should be fine. But maybe that's just me.

I was a huge fan of the PS protectors on my iPhone back when I used one, so maybe I'll try one of theirs on the mini when they are released, see if there is any difference with regards to fingerprints/cleaning.

I used Microfiber cloth that come with SGP crystal clear to clean my screen. It works like a charm!! :)

There are one problem that bother me, I alway saw myself when I used iPad!!

dbdynsty25

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
Thousand Oaks, CA
I used Microfiber cloth that come with SGP crystal clear to clean my screen. It works like a charm!! :)

There are one problem that bother me, I alway saw myself when I used iPad!!

Well yeah, but it still takes more effort to clean the screen w/ the cloth than it does on the naked glass screen.

BTW, the SGP Microfiber cloths are fantastic for cleaning any screen really...they are almost worth buying a screen protector for alone!

jqc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
i have used PS for my iPhone 1G, 3GS and 4 and was very happy with them. I recently bought a set for my Iphone 5 and its terrible! Feel is the same, installation is the same, but when you look at it at certain angles indoors you see the greasy rainbow (think oil in a puddle of water) effect.

I just bought Tech Armor off amazon for my ipad mini, for $7 off amazon and they give you 3! Very happy, same feel, same ease of installation, and NO greasy rainbow effect.

Compare that to PS for ipad full size where they give you 1 for $32 and its a no brainer. Link below

http://www.amazon.com/Tech-Armor-Pr...56188664&sr=1-1&keywords=ipad+mini+tech+armor

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
i have used PS for my iPhone 1G, 3GS and 4 and was very happy with them. I recently bought a set for my Iphone 5 and its terrible! Feel is the same, installation is the same, but when you look at it at certain angles indoors you see the greasy rainbow (think oil in a puddle of water) effect.

I just bought Tech Armor off amazon for my ipad mini, for $7 off amazon and they give you 3! Very happy, same feel, same ease of installation, and NO greasy rainbow effect.

Compare that to PS for ipad full size where they give you 1 for $32 and its a no brainer. Link below

http://www.amazon.com/Tech-Armor-Pr...56188664&sr=1-1&keywords=ipad+mini+tech+armor

I've always kept my iPad screen naked - there's no way I'd be able to apply a screen protector to such a large screen with no bubbles getting under!

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I've always kept my iPad screen naked - there's no way I'd be able to apply a screen protector to such a large screen with no bubbles getting under!

Bubbles you rub out with microfiber cloth.
Dust dots you remove with scotch tape.

Dstopsie

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
Received my crystal film from power support that i bought from sz electronics on on Amazon.com today. i went to the power support store in burbank cuz i live 15 mins from there and they put it on and it looks great feel the same as all the other power support products. sz directly imported from it Japan and I'm so happy I got it I love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.