Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyli2

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
When do you think you'll be able to Walk into an AT&T Verizon or Sprint store and just buy and get your iphone in store.(not on backorder)

meihcydna

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2009
My friend walked into Best Buy at 8pm two days ago and was able to score a 16gb ATT black/slate iPhone 5.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
I just came back from my apple store and exchanged a white phone to a black one ! Scuff Free !! lol:cool:

I thought the Apple store doesn't allow swapping colors. Or maybe I'm thinking of replacement phones. Did you do a 30 day exchange?

NRak

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
I walked into Best Buy and got two on Tuesday. They had over a dozen available for AT&T. One guy said that they saw an above-normal increase in 5's than normal because of the storm in the NE. Not sure if I believe that since stock definitely seems to be getting better everywhere. AT&T ship dates are only 7-14 days now.
If you call around enough places, I bet you can find one this weekend.

Textureboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
To be honest you have to go to EVERY STORE and check if they have it in stock.

The popular stores are most likely to be sold out.

But if you go to small carrier stores in your local area or around the area just ask because most likely they will have.

A friend of mine went to the Fido store ( Canada) and got an iPhone and the employee asked if he wanted another one because he only sold a few for the whole week. A lot of places that are not fairly known have a lot of phones in stock but just no customers.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I thought the Apple store doesn't allow swapping colors. Or maybe I'm thinking of replacement phones. Did you do a 30 day exchange?

Like you said, if he is within the 30 days, he can do this swap. The swapped phone will be a brand new in box phone, not the usual replacements for technical issues.

----------------------

I live in Los Angeles, so it's still pretty scarce out here. There was a line last week when I picked up my reserved iPhone. Also, looking at the Apple inventory it doesn't show anymore available. I also went to AT&T to do a line swap and customers came in and asked for the iPhone 5 and representatives all said that they don't have it in stock. All the AT&T within Los Angeles are out and online would be best way to purchase.

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California

Yep... Within my 30 day gap. The genious was really attractive by the way just throwing that out there . She was hot :)

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
When do you think you'll be able to Walk into an AT&T Verizon or Sprint store and just buy and get your iphone in store.(not on backorder)
I have been able to buy 9 At&t 16gb iPhone 5's in the last week or so from the best buys in my area. Both white and black.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
It's jerks like you who are keeping people like me who just want one primary phone from getting one.

First off, I'm not buying 9 on launch day. I bought 9 a month and a half later. They are available but people are too lazy to search for them. And I don't just go and clean one store out of everything they have. I go to several stores and just buy one or two at each. Also it's not like I buy nine and tape them together to make a super iPhone 5 that I use for personal use. The phones I buy go to people who can't get one themselves (i.e t-mobile users and other people who can't just walk in to the store and buy one cause Apple thinks they can pick and chose who they will and wont sell to)

The point is, look around and you will find one, promise.

----------

How the hell have you been able to get 9? They aren't being sold yet at out of contract, I believe.

Apple is saying that they aren't selling "out of contract" I walk in and give them my At&t phone number and tell them I want to buy it outright.

Also the ones you get from Apple, if you pay full price, are unlocked out of the box, even though they tell you out of contract unlocked ones don't exist. It's just a way to prevent people from buying because they realize they are F'd and can't supply the demand.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
My guess is another month or 2 till the i5 becomes easier to find.
Today I was lucky and a local radio shack called me letting me know they just got a black 16gb AT&T iphone 5. I was looking for one a month ago for my cousin but found one a few weeks back using the apple store check at 10pm. Now they had one available and I went and grabbed one for my brother as a Christmass gift.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
It's jerks like you who are keeping people like me who just want one primary phone from getting one.

Tomorrow try calling all the best buy and ask about all the locations around you. or you can go to Apple.com and reserve one the night before, they usually get daily shipments that go up for reserve the night before. If that doesn't work try radio shack, Walmart, Target and Sams club. I guarantee you will find one. You just have to look.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
The point is, look around and you will find one, promise.

I have to agree, called about 4 Apple stores within 30 mins driving from me and only 2 stores were out of stock, one store had 32GB/64GB models only and the last store had limit stock of all sizes. Walked in to the last store and got the last 16GB Black in stock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.