Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:53 PM   #1
aka777
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
iPad Mini 4G LTE, or stay home

What do you guys and gals think?

I feel LTE is the way to go for the mini. I had the cellular ipad 1 and loved the portability and not having to establish wifi and all those shenanigans. Just switched it on and the data was there, wherever I was.

I found that I hardly use my smartphone after having a tablet.

Last edited by aka777; Nov 8, 2012 at 07:44 PM.
aka777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:20 PM   #2
KeepCalmPeople
macrumors 6502a
 
KeepCalmPeople's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California
I think the mini justifies the cellular option more so than the regular iPad, as it is more likely to be taken out and about. If I ever get one, I'll seriously consider LTE.
KeepCalmPeople is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:25 PM   #3
jonfarr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Portland
yep
__________________
iMac, Macbook Air, iPhone 6+, riPad mini w/ LTE
jonfarr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:30 PM   #4
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka777 View Post
What do you guys and gals think?

I feel LTE is the way to go for the mini. I had the cellular ipad 1 and loved the portability and not having to establish wifi and all those shenanigans. Just switched it on and the data was there, wherever I was.

I found that I hardly use my smartphone after having a tablet.
Actually, your title should have been:

iPad mini 4G LTE, or stay home ...

knucklehead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:46 PM   #5
aka777
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
Actually, your title should have been:

iPad mini 4G LTE, or stay home ...

Good Idea

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepCalmPeople View Post
I think the mini justifies the cellular option more so than the regular iPad, as it is more likely to be taken out and about. If I ever get one, I'll seriously consider LTE.
That's how I feel. MINI with LTE for the road and a wifi normal iPad for the home.

The one thing that makes the choice harder, as in whether to buy a LTE normal iPad, is that the ipad 4 has significantly better specs.
aka777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:28 PM   #6
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God
 
xraydoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 192.168.1.1
I have had 3G iPads since the original, but with the mini I've decided to get the wifi-only model (64GB) and rely on tethering my iPhone 5 (VZW LTE). I use maybe 300MB per month tops on my iPad 3 w/ LTE despite paying $30 per month. I've decided to save the $360/yr. That'll pay for a significant portion of the iPad mini (and the sale of my old iPad 2 paid for the rest).
__________________
3.5GHz i7 27" iMac Surface Pro 3 i5 2.5GHz i5 Mac mini + 27" Thunderbolt display iPhone 6 Plus
xraydoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:30 PM   #7
pooleman
macrumors 65816
 
pooleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eastern CT
I disagree. I think the best bang for the buck would be to hotspot using your iPhone and a wifi only mini.
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus, AT&T 64GB Space Gray!!!!!!!Mac Mini (latest model), iBook G4, Mac Mini (mid 2007), iPhone, iPhone 4, ATV3, iPad 2, iPad Mini, iPad Air.
pooleman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:19 PM   #8
aka777
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Hotspot constantly on drains your battery and fast. We don't have any widgets like android to switch it on and off rapidly after all.

Not to mention, you have to mess around with establishing the wifi connection, which is time consuming on the go. Granted if you rarely use the device outside a fixed location with wifi, then it's no big deal at all.

Also keep in mind that there isn't a GPS module in the WIFI version.
aka777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:13 AM   #9
big samm
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
I always choose the cellular model for my ipads, i went to see the mini and i had to pass on it the screen is just too horrible for my taste of course since all my idevices are retina display...
I hope they will put out a retina display and ill buy the lte model garanteed!
__________________
iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6 plus, iPad 1 ,iPad 3, iPad Mini 2 Lte, Macbook air 13" 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7 8Gb ram mid 2013 15"MacBook Pro 2009 model
big samm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:33 PM   #10
aka777
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by big samm View Post
I always choose the cellular model for my ipads, i went to see the mini and i had to pass on it the screen is just too horrible for my taste of course since all my idevices are retina display...
I hope they will put out a retina display and ill buy the lte model garanteed!
Me too. It's just way too convenient having it and I'd much rather type on an ipad than a smartphone.
aka777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Air and iPad mini With LTE Cellular Launch in China MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 6 Mar 31, 2014 10:16 PM
First Pre-Orders of LTE iPad Mini and Fourth-Generation iPad Models Arriving in U.S. MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 57 Nov 16, 2012 10:58 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC