Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jffluis

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Still unnaceptable in my opinion. Facebook scrolling is notably better, but scroll lag on Xcode is there, its so choppy scrolling trough text! Omg how can. Webpage with tons of pics scrolls better than Xcode?

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Still unnaceptable in my opinion. Facebook scrolling is notably better, but scroll lag on Xcode is there, its so choppy scrolling trough text! Omg how can. Webpage with tons of pics scrolls better than Xcode?

I just tried Xcode and text scrolls very smoothly. Quartz debugger reports around 45FPS which seems about right visually. Even when scrolling in a large storyboard I get around 35FPS.

Are you sure you don't have that SMC bug?

zakee00

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2004
Thanks for some real data! Safari felt faster. The rest of the OS doesn't seem to have gotten a boost for me, but I have not tried any games yet. Chrome still lags, but I'm pretty sure that is a Chrome glitch.

jaqueh

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2012
Thanks for some real data! Safari felt faster. The rest of the OS doesn't seem to have gotten a boost for me, but I have not tried any games yet. Chrome still lags, but I'm pretty sure that is a Chrome glitch.

yeah why does chrome suck so much on rMBPs, I hated switching back to safari but I had to. I think it's because it's still 32-bit

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Reading these forums baffles me sometimes. Really - I'm being serious, not flippant.

Chrome - runs fine.
Xcode - runs fine.
Safari - runs fine.

I'm not sure what people are doing that seems so different from my own experience.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
Reading these forums baffles me sometimes. Really - I'm being serious, not flippant.

Chrome - runs fine.
Xcode - runs fine.
Safari - runs fine.

I'm not sure what people are doing that seems so different from my own experience.

Probably because you have no idea how to test or just refuse to see the differences.

Yah chrome "runs fine" but it's clearly slower than safari (which sucks because I hate safari). Just test the scrolling on http://ebay.com/new/ to see the obvious difference.

Lots of seemingly simple coding text apps like coda, sublime text etc start lagging when scrolling long color coded code.

I haven't installed the update yet but if all it did was improve safari performance then meh.

mrvectrex

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
47N
Old:
Nvidia GPU Driver Version: 8.0.61 295.30.20f02

New:
Nvidia GPU Driver Version: 8.6.22 304.10.20f04

Cheers

jffluis

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
I just tried Xcode and text scrolls very smoothly. Quartz debugger reports around 45FPS which seems about right visually. Even when scrolling in a large storyboard I get around 35FPS.

Are you sure you don't have that SMC bug?

I reseted my SMC and it lags. I can make a video showing it.

EDIT:

Last edited:

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Probably because you have no idea how to test or just refuse to see the differences.

Yah chrome "runs fine" but it's clearly slower than safari (which sucks because I hate safari). Just test the scrolling on http://ebay.com/new/ to see the obvious difference.

Lots of seemingly simple coding text apps like coda, sublime text etc start lagging when scrolling long color coded code.

I haven't installed the update yet but if all it did was improve safari performance then meh.

I'm not a Chrome user so I'm not sure but if I recall correctly, unlike Safari, Chrome doesn't have GPU acceleration activated by default and you have to enable some flag to turn it on. If your scrolling is entirely handled by your CPU then of course a graphics update won't help.

zakee00

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2004
I'm not a Chrome user so I'm not sure but if I recall correctly, unlike Safari, Chrome doesn't have GPU acceleration activated by default and you have to enable some flag to turn it on. If your scrolling is entirely handled by your CPU then of course a graphics update won't help.

That would make some sense. I turned on GPU acceleration manually for Chrome last week and it made no difference for me. I'm waiting for them to turn it on themselves, in a functioning state, and until then I'm sticking with Safari. Only thing that bugs me about Safari is how long it takes to reload a page after a two-finger 'back' swipe.

Cjallen

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
I see a definite improvement on every website but Facebook. Lag is still the same :/

jaqueh

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2012
That would make some sense. I turned on GPU acceleration manually for Chrome last week and it made no difference for me. I'm waiting for them to turn it on themselves, in a functioning state, and until then I'm sticking with Safari. Only thing that bugs me about Safari is how long it takes to reload a page after a two-finger 'back' swipe.

I FIGURED OUT WHY SCROLLING IS SO JERKY ON rMBP.
Disable smooth scrolling by typing this into terminal:
defaults write -g NSScrollAnimationEnabled -bool NO

Also, yeah, it's really disappointing that Chrome is so terrible for rMBPs

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Just checking - everyone else can still use their HDMI outputs, right?

I just tried it a few times and the built-in screen would flash blue when I connected the cable, but nothing was coming out the other end and there was no other signs of anything working on the MBP side.

This is a brand-new machine. I tried it yesterday before the update and it worked flawlessly first time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.