Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:52 PM   #1
stylinexpat
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Within 3 months guy got herniated disk from using his iPad

Watch how you use your iPad. Sitting or laying down in the wrong position could be very very painful. This is from today's local newspaper here in Taiwan "The Apple Daily News"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	375952  
__________________
2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.66GHz
8GB RAM
200GB Vertex 2 SSD RAID/ iPhone 6 64GB
stylinexpat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:18 PM   #2
poloponies
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Watch how you use your iPad. Sitting or laying down in the wrong position could be very very painful. This is from today's local newspaper here in Taiwan "The Apple Daily News"
Is that like "The Onion" here in the US?
poloponies is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:21 PM   #3
stylinexpat
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloponies View Post
Is that like "The Onion" here in the US?
It is a very famous newspaper in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Probably the most read newspaper in both Taiwan and Hong Kong. Just a reminder not to sit or lay down in wrong position for too long of a period of time using your iPad as it could literally damage your spine and lead to a herniated disk.
__________________
2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.66GHz
8GB RAM
200GB Vertex 2 SSD RAID/ iPhone 6 64GB
stylinexpat is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:39 PM   #4
technopimp
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
It is a very famous newspaper in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Probably the most read newspaper in both Taiwan and Hong Kong. Just a reminder not to sit or lay down in wrong position for too long of a period of time using your iPad as it could literally damage your spine and lead to a herniated disk.
Or, more accurately, "don't sit or lay down in an awkward position for extended periods of time as this person did while using his iPad".

It had nothing to do with the iPad (if it was even a real story).

Of course, he'll probably try to sue Apple now.
__________________
Yes I caved.
technopimp is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:39 PM   #5
haruhiko
macrumors 68030
 
haruhiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
It is a very famous newspaper in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Probably the most read newspaper in both Taiwan and Hong Kong. Just a reminder not to sit or lay down in wrong position for too long of a period of time using your iPad as it could literally damage your spine and lead to a herniated disk.
It's more like an anti-government (not a bad thing) tabloid (this is the bad part) ;-)
__________________
rMBP'12, iMac'08/24", Mini'09, MBP'10/15", MBA'11/13". iPhone: 6+/128/sg, 5s/64S 5/64B, 4S/64W, 4/32B, 3GS/16. iPT: 3G,1G. iPad: Air,Mini2,4,3/LTE/64 2/3G/32, 1/WiFi/16. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09, TC'13/2TB
haruhiko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:19 PM   #6
stylinexpat
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by technopimp View Post
Or, more accurately, "don't sit or lay down in an awkward position for extended periods of time as this person did while using his iPad".

It had nothing to do with the iPad (if it was even a real story).

Of course, he'll probably try to sue Apple now.
Then they will make laws requiring the manufacturer to put warning labels on the outside package (like on cigarettes) warning end users that prolonged use in an awkward position could be dangerous to your health lol.. Some will call it funny,some stupid and others great depending on how you look at it or use it.
__________________
2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.66GHz
8GB RAM
200GB Vertex 2 SSD RAID/ iPhone 6 64GB
stylinexpat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:24 PM   #7
haruhiko
macrumors 68030
 
haruhiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Then they will make laws requiring the manufacturer to put warning labels on the outside package (like on cigarettes) warning end users that prolonged use in an awkward position could be dangerous to your health lol.. Some will call it funny,some stupid and others great depending on how you look at it or use it.
Like:

Caution! Your cup of hot coffee is actually hot!

Caution! The pack of peanuts that you're buying actually contains peanuts!
__________________
rMBP'12, iMac'08/24", Mini'09, MBP'10/15", MBA'11/13". iPhone: 6+/128/sg, 5s/64S 5/64B, 4S/64W, 4/32B, 3GS/16. iPT: 3G,1G. iPad: Air,Mini2,4,3/LTE/64 2/3G/32, 1/WiFi/16. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09, TC'13/2TB
haruhiko is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:26 PM   #8
Ladybug
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
That poor guy shouldn't be lying in the same position for 3 months like that.
Ladybug is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:31 PM   #9
stylinexpat
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
That poor guy shouldn't be lying in the same position for 3 months like that.
He loves his new iPad
__________________
2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.66GHz
8GB RAM
200GB Vertex 2 SSD RAID/ iPhone 6 64GB
stylinexpat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:47 PM   #10
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
what is the proper postion to be in if you plan to use Ipad for 2-3 hours straight.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:26 PM   #11
stylinexpat
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
what is the proper postion to be in if you plan to use Ipad for 2-3 hours straight.
In Thailand in a Thai massage chair
__________________
2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.66GHz
8GB RAM
200GB Vertex 2 SSD RAID/ iPhone 6 64GB
stylinexpat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:38 PM   #12
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
In Thailand in a Thai massage chair
funny much!!!
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:41 PM   #13
kappaknight
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
User error.
kappaknight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:47 PM   #14
ixodes
macrumors 601
 
ixodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific Coast, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
what is the proper postion to be in if you plan to use Ipad for 2-3 hours straight.
Get up & move every 40 minutes. Ignore this widely popular suggestion from the healthcare community & you will pay the price. Your health is far too important to neglect.
__________________
An Ultra Fast Mac Is...My Favorite
ixodes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:56 PM   #15
macjram
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
"holding it wrong"
__________________
2010 Macbook Pro, iPhone 4S
macjram is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:13 PM   #16
christophermdia
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I actually work in the spine field and will say this is a real problem....back in the days, you didnt have people who always looked down whether its to a phone or an ipad.....I have 4 level disc disease and im sure its due to #1 sports as a child....and #2 smartphones and ipads.....

my kids can use their iPods on the weekends, but not looking down, only laying down on their stomach looking up.....if your young enough, this will be a real problem later on in life......be careful...
christophermdia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:17 PM   #17
Anti-Lucifer
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
How is using an iPad different than reading a book? Both require your head being lowered and look at the millions of children in school who have books laying on their desks. They have to look down to read.
Anti-Lucifer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:04 AM   #18
virginblue4
macrumors 65816
 
virginblue4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by christophermdia View Post
I actually work in the spine field and will say this is a real problem....back in the days, you didnt have people who always looked down whether its to a phone or an ipad.....I have 4 level disc disease and im sure its due to #1 sports as a child....and #2 smartphones and ipads.....

my kids can use their iPods on the weekends, but not looking down, only laying down on their stomach looking up.....if your young enough, this will be a real problem later on in life......be careful...
Sorry, but are you joking? You don't let your children look down at their iPods, only look up?

What about when they go to school and look down at their books? Or when they eat their dinner and look down at it. Sorry, but that's extreme parenting.
__________________

iPhone 5S, gold, iOS 8.0.2
iPad mini 2, silver, iOS 8.0.2
Late 2012 27" iMac - 3.4GHz i7, 1TB Fusion, 24GB RAM, 680MX 2GB
virginblue4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:05 AM   #19
christophermdia
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginblue4 View Post
Sorry, but are you joking? You don't let your children look down at their iPods, only look up?

What about when they go to school and look down at their books? Or when they eat their dinner and look down at it. Sorry, but that's extreme parenting.
Obviously im not doing this to the extreme, but yes, if he is watching a movie or something, which is one of the main functions of his iPod, then I dont let him strain his neck for 2 hours straight...he doesnt look down at a book for 2 hours straight. This is not extreme, its being responsible, especially knowing what I know

Lean forward and eventually this happens.


And this is most people:
christophermdia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:25 AM   #20
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Something smells fishy here.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:23 AM   #21
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
Caution! The pack of peanuts that you're buying actually contains peanuts!
Sure, that sounds funny, but Snapple Apple Juice Drink doesn't contain any apple juice and Grape Nuts doesn't contain any grapes or nuts!
ActionableMango is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:36 PM   #22
stylinexpat
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by christophermdia View Post
Obviously im not doing this to the extreme, but yes, if he is watching a movie or something, which is one of the main functions of his iPod, then I dont let him strain his neck for 2 hours straight...he doesnt look down at a book for 2 hours straight. This is not extreme, its being responsible, especially knowing what I know

Lean forward and eventually this happens.
Image

And this is most people:
Image

There is a very famous and well known spine surgeon here in Taipei, Taiwan. He spends most of his time looking down at people's spines and looking down doing surgery and now he himself has major spine problems. Poor guy
__________________
2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.66GHz
8GB RAM
200GB Vertex 2 SSD RAID/ iPhone 6 64GB
stylinexpat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:51 PM   #23
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816
 
Tsuchiya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
What a lightweight
__________________
Nothing is true, everything is permitted
Tsuchiya is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: Holding off for possible Ipad in six months time? In that case I'm waiting for Ipad 7 gadget123 iPad 5 Oct 23, 2013 11:02 AM
Apple to Release Thinner Fifth-Generation iPad and Retina iPad Mini in Last Three Months of 2013 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 190 Sep 25, 2013 06:00 PM
iPad: iPad owners – can you forgo using your iPad for a few months? redryder iPad 13 Jun 19, 2013 03:14 PM
iPad Mini Update to Trail Next Full-Size iPad Launch by Several Months? MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 122 Jun 8, 2013 08:34 PM
250GB startup disk full in 3 months? essi MacBook Air 3 May 15, 2013 06:57 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC