Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:15 PM   #1
Jaze
macrumors member

Migration Assistant on new Mini won't recognize Time Machine drive

I'm wondering if any of you guys are having this problem.

I'm just setting up my new Mac Mini. It's sitting there nice and purty, with my external Time Machine drive that I've been using on my old iMac sitting there on the desktop labeled "Time Machine Backups", plus my two other external hard drives.

I want to back up onto my new machine from a recent back up. I go to Migration Assistant, kick it into gear, but the only drive that it sees is the Mac Mini hard drive (a 1TB Fusion drive, don't know if that makes a difference); it doesn't seem to see the Time Machine drive, or the other two external hard drives I have mounted there. How can I get it to do the right thing here, and import all that stuff from my Time Machine backup?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

J.
Jaze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:38 PM   #2
StevenT42
macrumors 6502

Plug the Time Machine drive directly into the Mac mini, not into your iMac.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:41 PM   #3
Jaze
macrumors member

Can't tell if you're joking there.

To be clear, the Time Machine is plugged directly into the Mini, and is mounted on the desktop; it just doesn't show up as a source option when I run Migration Assistant.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:52 PM   #4
StevenT42
macrumors 6502

My mistake, sorry. It should work.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:34 PM   #5
filman408
macrumors regular

Weird…
filman408 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:09 PM   #6
Mojo1
macrumors 65816

I had a similar problem when I connected my new Mini to a 13" MacBook Pro. I selected the option to move data from another Mac but the MBP was not found by Migration Assistant. But when I selected the option to transfer data from a hard drive the MBP became available. (I may not remember the exact terms used for the MA options.)

I suggest selecting another option even if it doesn't make much sense and see if your Time Machine drive shows up...
Mojo1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:37 PM   #7
Jaze
macrumors member

Thanks, Mojo1. I tried that, no success.

Tried quitting out of and reopening Migration Assistant several times, to no avail. But one thing I did notice: when I ran Migration Assistant, the first thing that happens is that the Finder quits (not only do the hard drive icons disappear from the desktop, but the Finder disappears as an option in the Force Quit window. I have no idea whether or not that means anything.

This is frustrating. I WANT to have all that stuff back on this desktop, and to refill my iTunes and iPhoto libraries, and I want to do that before I start installing software.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:39 PM   #8
StevenT42
macrumors 6502

Time to call Apple. You have 90 days of free phone support.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:46 PM   #9
Jaze
macrumors member

Tomorrow!

I have a nagging feeling I've seen something similar to this problem discussed here, and was hoping 1. that I'm right and 2. that someone would jump in with a definitive answer. I have a feeling it's something small and specific, possibly related to the Fusion drive.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:07 PM   #10
StevenT42
macrumors 6502

As a point of reference, I had problems running Migration Assistant with my Fusion Drive. This was during the initial logon, where you enter your language and wifi password. At that point, it asks if you want to transfer your files, in effect, run Migration Assistant. I did. But after an hour of transferring files, nothing showed up on the Fusion Drive. When I got logged back in and ran Migration Assistant manually, it worked. This was using my latest backup from a 2010 Mac mini on a USB 3.0 portable drive.

If all else fails, you can run either Ethernet or FireWire between your iMac and Mac mini and transfer files that way. No backup involved, transfer directly from the iMac.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:32 PM   #11
hfg
macrumors 68020

Can you open the Time Machine icon and see the files in finder?

Is your Time Machine backup encrypted?

What is your backup drive and how is it connected to your Mini? How about the other external drives?
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:42 PM   #12
kdoug
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaze View Post
I'm wondering if any of you guys are having this problem.

I'm just setting up my new Mac Mini. It's sitting there nice and purty, with my external Time Machine drive that I've been using on my old iMac sitting there on the desktop labeled "Time Machine Backups", plus my two other external hard drives.

I want to back up onto my new machine from a recent back up. I go to Migration Assistant, kick it into gear, but the only drive that it sees is the Mac Mini hard drive (a 1TB Fusion drive, don't know if that makes a difference); it doesn't seem to see the Time Machine drive, or the other two external hard drives I have mounted there. How can I get it to do the right thing here, and import all that stuff from my Time Machine backup?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

J.
That happened to me this evening when I was setting in a new Mini. It would recognize my USB 3.0 flash drive with 10.8.2 installed but not time machine. I think I know the reason though. I dissacociated the time machine drive from my original computer. There is a way around it to make it work though.
Restart your computer and hold down the "option" key and get to your hidden partition. If your partitions gone it'll boot to the Internet utilities. Once there, find restore with time machine and let it find your drive, it did mine.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:07 AM   #13
Jaze
macrumors member

KDoug, I shall try that! Problem is I'm using a wireless keyboard and mouse, and am still trying to sort out how the damn things work!

I'll report back.

Thanks to all of you for your help, very much appreciated.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:29 AM   #14
mwhities
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaze View Post
KDoug, I shall try that! Problem is I'm using a wireless keyboard and mouse, and am still trying to sort out how the damn things work!

I'll report back.

Thanks to all of you for your help, very much appreciated.
Your wireless keyboard will work exactly like a wired keyboard for booting options.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:42 AM   #15
Jaze
macrumors member

Indeed it is - alas, no rebooting to the "Restore from Time Machine" option.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:02 AM   #16
xlii
macrumors 68000

Have you tried going directly from the iMac to the mini?

Instructions for migration assistant:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4889?v...S&locale=en_US
xlii is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:09 AM   #17
Jaze
macrumors member

Figured it out. After trying all of these suggestions, unplugging, replugging, rerouting, etc etc, I have located the problem: the problem was Me. Migration Assistant was working just fine, but it was showing me the iMac Time Machine backup file by an unfamiliar numerical Hard Drive name, which I thought was the HD from my Mini, but turns out to be the HD from my iMac.

Thanks, all! I hope that all your efforts are at least somewhat balanced by the pleasure of witnessing what a moron I am...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Tags
2012, migration assistant, time machine