Question about return and rebuy using Online Reservation. - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:59 PM   #1
erftbll81
macrumors member

Question about return and rebuy using Online Reservation.

Currently have a white 16 GB iPhone 5 that I paid $199 for using upgrade (purchased on 10/10/12). Can I order a black iPhone 5 tonight for $649 using reservation, then go into the apple store tomorrow, return my current iPhone and use that money to buy the black one that i reserve for $199. Essentially just returning the white one and using that money to buy the black one. Will apple allow this??

I searched the forum but didn't find this question.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:03 PM   #2
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by erftbll81 View Post
Currently have a white 16 GB iPhone 5 that I paid $199 for using upgrade (purchased on 10/10/12). Can I order a black iPhone 5 tonight for $649 using reservation, then go into the apple store tomorrow, return my current iPhone and use that money to buy the black one that i reserve for $199. Essentially just returning the white one and using that money to buy the black one. Will apple allow this??

The online reservation does not give you an option to pay full price, it will ask for a phone number and check the eligibility. So no, it won't work. If you want the black one, Id go back to the store and see if they can do an exchange for a black one by holding one for you. Not sure how returns work as far as your contract goes with At&t, because its already started.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:05 PM   #3
travis.hansen
macrumors regular

Quote:

Apple and most places have a 14 day return policy. Best Buy has 30. At anytime within this time period you can return your item for a refund or exchange it for a different color, capacity or model. If you are past that time you are out of luck. If you current iPhone is in good shape you may be able to sell it for more than what it would cost to buy it brand new at full price in the store. They are so backed up people are paying a lot for them even used. I sold two used ones the other day for 700 each.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohsy90 View Post
The online reservation does not give you an option to pay full price, it will ask for a phone number and check the eligibility. So no, it won't work. If you want the black one, Id go back to the store and see if they can do an exchange for a black one and hold it for your. Not sure how returns work as far as your contract goes with At&t, because its already started.
If he is not eligible for an upgrade they will still allow him to pay full price for one. They just require that it be tagged to a valid line before you buy it.
travis.hansen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:10 PM   #4
erftbll81
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis.hansen View Post
Apple and most places have a 14 day return policy. Best Buy has 30. At anytime within this time period you can return your item for a refund or exchange it for a different color, capacity or model. If you are past that time you are out of luck. If you current iPhone is in good shape you may be able to sell it for more than what it would cost to buy it brand new at full price in the store. They are so backed up people are paying a lot for them even used. I sold two used ones the other day for 700 each.

----------

If he is not eligible for an upgrade they will still allow him to pay full price for one. They just require that it be tagged to a valid line before you buy it.
For an Apple iPhone, you have 30 calendar days.
http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

I guess my biggest concern is, once I pay $649 for the phone when reserving it online, will they be able to bring the price down to $199 after returning my white iPhone 5.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:18 PM   #5
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:

----------

The online reservation DOES NOT give you an option to reserve one for full price for pick up the next day. All online reservations require a 2yr contract.

----------

Quote:
For an Apple iPhone, you have 30 calendar days.
http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

I guess my biggest concern is, once I pay $649 for the phone when reserving it online, will they be able to bring the price down to $199 after returning my white iPhone 5.
This wont work. Call the apple store and ask what the best method is to exchange the color.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:19 PM   #6
erftbll81
macrumors member

Quote:
The online reservation DOES NOT give you an option to reserve one for full price for pick up the next day. All online reservations require a 2yr contract.

----------

This wont work. Call the apple store and ask what the best method is to exchange the color.
Thank you.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:22 AM   #7
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
Quote:
not true. it gives you the option to purchase at full price if you don't qualify for a subsidized upgrade.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:25 AM   #8
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by siurpeeman View Post
not true. it gives you the option to purchase at full price if you don't qualify for a subsidized upgrade.
It never did for me. Is it different for people with unlimited Verizon data plans? I attempted this numerous times and it never worked. I even spoke to apple rep and said that online reservations are reserved for contract only.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:25 AM   #9
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
For AT&T it does NOT.
Im not 100% sure about other carriers but I know for AT&T it never gave me that option.
If I didnt have a subsidy available or not willing to do an early upgrade I could not get one full price reserved at all.
It had to be done with some kind of 2 year contract agreement. Either full upgrade or early upgrade.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:28 AM   #10
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Quote:
It never did for me. Is it different for people with unlimited Verizon data plans? I attempted this numerous times and it never worked. I even spoke to apple rep and said that online reservations are reserved for contract only.
strange. all i can attest to is that i have unlimited data (on verizon) and was able to purchase a full priced iphone off contract.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:33 AM   #11
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
strange. all i can attest to is that i have unlimited data (on verizon) and was able to purchase a full priced iphone off contract.
Just tried again and still no option. Keeps giving me notice that i must go in store and purchase one full retail, which is basically impossible because none have them in stock. Few weeks ago I even reserved one on another line and went to pick it up and tried to get the Apple rep to sell it to me for full price. Guy said reservation stock is reserved for contract only
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:01 AM   #12
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Quote:
Just tried again and still no option. Keeps giving me notice that i must go in store and purchase one full retail, which is basically impossible because none have them in stock. Few weeks ago I even reserved one on another line and went to pick it up and tried to get the Apple rep to sell it to me for full price. Guy said reservation stock is reserved for contract only
attached is my order for my black iphone 5 placed three weeks ago (picked up and purchased full price).

and just to confirm, i placed an order tonight for a white iphone 5 (for a friend who's been looking for one in stock).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-11-08 at 10.54.24 p.png
Views:	10
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	376021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-11-08 at 10.54.49 p.png
Views:	12
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	376022  
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:19 AM   #13
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
attached is my order for my black iphone 5 placed three weeks ago (picked up and purchased full price).

and just to confirm, i placed an order tonight for a white iphone 5 (for a friend who's been looking for one in stock).
yeah, idk wth hell is wrong with my account. Been trying to pick one up for weeks. god damn!!!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:28 AM   #14
travis.hansen
macrumors regular

Quote:

----------

I didn't say anything about reservation. I said the apple store will let him buy one at full price... I've bought a couple at the Apple store by just walking in and asking for one. When they ask if I want to do it on upgrade I tell them i'm not eligible and want to pay full price.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:30 AM   #15
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I didn't say anything about reservation. I said the apple store will let him buy one at full price... I've bought a couple at the Apple store by just walking in and asking for one. When they ask if I want to do it on upgrade I tell them i'm not eligible and want to pay full price.
I thought thats what you were implying because thats what the OP was asking. Yea, he can definitely walk in and pay full price. Kind of hard to find an apple store with stock for regular sale.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:45 AM   #16
travis.hansen
macrumors regular

Quote:
I thought thats what you were implying because thats what the OP was asking. Yea, he can definitely walk in and pay full price. Kind of hard to find an apple store with stock for regular sale.
If you look hard enough you can find them. I have two Apple Stores in my area and like 6 Best Buys and usually at least one of them will have a few in stock.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:20 AM   #17
jumperdono
macrumors newbie

I even spoke to apple rep and said that online reservations are reserved for contract only.
jumperdono is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:14 AM   #18
koigirl
macrumors 6502

I purchased AT&T white 32gb for $749 using Apple's online reservation system about three weeks ago as I was not eligible for full or partial upgrade and then picked up in store. Not sure why this option is not offered to/ working for you?

I had tried to walk in at opening a few times to purchase one without success and was getting frustrated. In fact, I had written Apple CS an email complaining about this after Apple CS told me via phone conversation that it was not possible to reserve full-price online. Something to the effect of why would you prevent a long-time customer from purchasing a phone from you at full price without a new carrier contract. An Apple genius working on my MBA also suggested reserving one under new contract online and then switching to device only when I picked up the next day. I got online that night to try his suggestion but lo and behold, it gave me the option to purchase at full price. No new contract. Perhaps a) they adjusted my account after my email or b) it depends on stock levels for your area?

Keep trying.

Last edited by koigirl; Nov 9, 2012 at 09:24 AM.
koigirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone