Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:01 AM   #26
Quu
macrumors 68000

The larger screen was the key feature that sealed it for me. Of course the increase in speed, twice the RAM (for future software updates) the improved camera, thinner design were all nice too but it was the larger screen that pushed me to buy.

I think had it still been 3.5" like my older iPhone 4S I would have just kept my iPhone 4S another year. Still is a great phone I sold mine now but I did enjoy its steel band and extra weight. I know it sounds funny why would someone want a heavier device? And I don't have a good answer I just preferred the heavier feel of the 4S it felt like a more robust device to the 5 which frankly I'm afraid of scratching it to pieces so I'm extra careful with it than I was with my iPhone 4S.

I'll probably skip the next iPhone (5S?) because I doubt they'll add any new hardware that I'll want. I wanted a larger screen, I've got that now and I went with the 64GB model so I have bundles of storage to last me the next 22 months.
Quu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:58 AM   #27
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quu View Post
The larger screen was the key feature that sealed it for me. Of course the increase in speed, twice the RAM (for future software updates) the improved camera, thinner design were all nice too but it was the larger screen that pushed me to buy.

I think had it still been 3.5" like my older iPhone 4S I would have just kept my iPhone 4S another year. Still is a great phone I sold mine now but I did enjoy its steel band and extra weight. I know it sounds funny why would someone want a heavier device? And I don't have a good answer I just preferred the heavier feel of the 4S it felt like a more robust device to the 5 which frankly I'm afraid of scratching it to pieces so I'm extra careful with it than I was with my iPhone 4S.

I'll probably skip the next iPhone (5S?) because I doubt they'll add any new hardware that I'll want. I wanted a larger screen, I've got that now and I went with the 64GB model so I have bundles of storage to last me the next 22 months.
I was only 11 months into a 3yr contract on my 4s. I only upgraded because they sent me incorrect (much cheaper) EUF charges via text message.

My early upgrade fee was supposed to be $325, but they quoted me $130
numberforty1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:30 AM   #28
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816

I came from the 4S. The bigger screen and better processor sold me.

Also, the wife got my 4S and we retired the 4.. So, we BOTH got an upgrade!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:38 PM   #29
Bahroo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Honestly speaking, all those people with the 4S don't really need to upgrade IMO. 4S to 5, only differences to me is the bigger screen.

LTE vs HSPA+ -It's really unnecessary to have speeds of 50-60 mbps to do the things we do daily on our phone. HSPA+ speeds on the 4S is already more than enough to do things like web-browsing etc. UNLESS you live in the states, where I heard the 3G HSPA+ speeds are really terrible (subjective).

Camera -Nearly identical, 8 MP with improved optics for the 5. Not a major upgrade even when comparing both phones side-by-side in the real world. Therefore not taking this into account.

Speed -Come on, for those who use the 4S, it's already blazing fast as we know it. Differences in mili-seconds should not be a concern to most people.

Only difference is larger screen IMO. But given that there are still many applications not optimized for the 4" display, it's your call.
Milisecond? While I agree the 4S is still a fast phone, the 5 really beats it in browsing load time and smoothness. On big websites with my old 4S it would stutter a bit with pinch to zoom or scrolling but on the 5 nothing. Multitasking is quite noticeably faster , with the 4S when you switched apps it would take a second or two before you can use the application but with the 5 its instaneous,
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:16 PM   #30
Ih8reno
macrumors 6502a

Had an iPhone 4S and found out my job had a corporate plan with another company. They gave us a $200 credit on the account which after taxes made my iPhone 5 essentially cost $5. Plan was better then what I had. Made sense all around!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:50 PM   #31
maddog91
macrumors regular

Funny, everyone was saying the same exact when comparing the 4s to the 4. then the 3gs to the 3g... its faster...we got it, find new reasons lol .
maddog91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:10 PM   #32
SpyderBite
macrumors 65816

LTE will be nice and the faster processor. However I rarely use cellular data now with unlimited 3G and all my apps run plenty fast on my 4s. So, while I could upgrade (two upgrades available on my account), I can't justify it yet.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:14 PM   #33
jetlagged
macrumors regular

i have an iphone 4 with verizon. i went to the apple store to get myself an iphone 5, but didnt have any from verizon. i suppose my iphone 4 is still good, but i bought this used on ebay last year when the iphone 4S came out simply coz i was disappointed that the 4S looked like a freaking iphone 4. but anyways yeah i'm waiting to see if i can get iphone 5. we shall see.
jetlagged is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:16 PM   #34
Mike J
macrumors regular

lol use a 5 for a week and then go back to the 4. it will feel like a piece of crap. ok not really but it is a difference, to me at least. i love it and couldn't go back D:
Mike J is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:42 PM   #35
1rottenapple
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
Yeah I know but my point is there isn't any HUGE improvement. I guess that just means Apple built my iPhone 4 to last me forever which is bitter sweet. I get a great phone that lasts forever but I cannot convince myself to get the awesome new phone that I want but don't need.
I have the exact opposite opinion to the OP... I love the in-cell screen. It just pops out. Love the larger screen. It's only 0.3 inches but the aspect ratio makes it a joy to watch short videos at the gym for me. Very happy I got the iPhone 5 with 64 gig
1rottenapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:56 PM   #36
Rhythmic-
macrumors member

I was a Blackberry Bold owner until late last year when I upgraded to the 4S. After feeling a bit underwhelmed, I decided to return it, so I can retain my older contract, and just buy an unlocked 4 online. That way I'll be eligible for upgrade once the 5 comes out. Going from the 4 to the 5's a pretty big jump imo. It's much faster and smoother; the 4 lags, a lot. The other things (lighter, bigger screen, Siri, etc) are just icing on the cake. So far, it was definitely worth the wait. There are still some features I wish it had (NFC), but overall I love my iP5.
Rhythmic- is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone