Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:58 AM   #1
ppark
macrumors newbie

Back Cover or Skin?

Hello everybody, I used the search function and saw that a lot of people are fans of the Zum, Smart Feather, or a similar back shell + smart cover combination for a compact combo.

Something from Otterbox, Lifeproof, or Gumdrop seem to be advised to protect from drops and physical damage.

I do not think I need a shell as intense as the Otterbox for my lifestyle, I will most likely be picking up a leather smart cover really soon. My question is whether a back shell does anything more than just protect from scratches. I only wonder because the plastic on the shells seem so thin that I'd still be wary of having it dropped accidentally from a foot or more off the ground.

Edit: Oops, I thought I had posted this in the Accessories sub-forum. My apologies, please feel free to re-locate to proper area of discussion.

Last edited by ppark; Nov 9, 2012 at 10:10 AM.
ppark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:48 AM   #2
HarryWarden
macrumors 6502

I use a fairly cost-effective flexible TPU skin I found on Amazon for protecting the back. The Friendly Swede is the brand.
HarryWarden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:56 AM   #3
dbdynsty25
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to dbdynsty25
I'm on team skin. I want the device as small/thin/light as possible while still protecting from small scratches. Skins do just that. I'm a fan of Best Skin Ever...which I just ordered for my two household minis. We'll see how they compare to the skin I had on my iPad 2 and 3.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:25 AM   #4
dmk1974
macrumors 68000

I just put a BestSkinsEver skin on the back of my black iPad mini. I much prefer the glossy appearance with the skin and much better grip than when it was "naked".
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:51 AM   #5
teerexx52
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to teerexx52
I use iCarbons
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:11 AM   #6
matneh
macrumors member

Another vote for bestskinsever! I use them for all my electronics.
matneh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:24 AM   #7
Dweez
macrumors 65816

Smart feather here. I felt that I needed more than just a stick-on skin for my device.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:10 PM   #8
thelookingglass
macrumors 65816

I use the Caudabe Shell and love it. Seems to be pretty popular on here, too. I've got the frost version which is great because you can barely tell it's on. But it's not like those clear back covers which get scratched up easily. Got mine for around $15 or so on Amazon.

I also had a skin from **********. It wasn't bad, but offered zero drop or bump protection. I'd rather have something on my iPad that protects against more than just scratches, being the klutz that I am.
thelookingglass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:23 PM   #9
Amplelink
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelookingglass View Post
I use the Caudabe Shell and love it. Seems to be pretty popular on here, too. I've got the frost version which is great because you can barely tell it's on. But it's not like those clear back covers which get scratched up easily. Got mine for around $15 or so on Amazon.

I also had a skin from **********. It wasn't bad, but offered zero drop or bump protection. I'd rather have something on my iPad that protects against more than just scratches, being the klutz that I am.
I'd totally get a Caudabe Shell for my mini if they made it. I have that for my ipad 3 and it's terrific. That said, I've gone naked on my mini for now other than a Smart Cover on the front. Feels nice, but not sure I like having to baby it so much.
Amplelink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:48 PM   #10
spring
macrumors regular

Just ordered a wrapsol back skin and a smart cover for my iPad. I didnt go for a back cover because I wanted to keep it slim since the iPad 4 is already pretty thick (compared to an iPad 2 that I previously had).
spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:38 AM   #11
Fattytail
macrumors 6502a

I don't even think this is a debate. I've been able to recoup a ton of money by keeping my iOS devices in pristine condition and selling them a year later. Back covers are so thin and protect against inadvertent drops. I've also got the Caudabe Shell someone else mentioned and for $20 (or whatever it's priced these days), seems like a small price to pay.
Fattytail is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad