Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
Chicago
Hello everybody, I used the search function and saw that a lot of people are fans of the Zum, Smart Feather, or a similar back shell + smart cover combination for a compact combo.

Something from Otterbox, Lifeproof, or Gumdrop seem to be advised to protect from drops and physical damage.

I do not think I need a shell as intense as the Otterbox for my lifestyle, I will most likely be picking up a leather smart cover really soon. My question is whether a back shell does anything more than just protect from scratches. I only wonder because the plastic on the shells seem so thin that I'd still be wary of having it dropped accidentally from a foot or more off the ground.

Edit: Oops, I thought I had posted this in the Accessories sub-forum. My apologies, please feel free to re-locate to proper area of discussion.

Last edited:

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I use a fairly cost-effective flexible TPU skin I found on Amazon for protecting the back. The Friendly Swede is the brand.

dbdynsty25

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
Thousand Oaks, CA
I'm on team skin. I want the device as small/thin/light as possible while still protecting from small scratches. Skins do just that. I'm a fan of Best Skin Ever...which I just ordered for my two household minis. We'll see how they compare to the skin I had on my iPad 2 and 3.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
I just put a BestSkinsEver skin on the back of my black iPad mini. I much prefer the glossy appearance with the skin and much better grip than when it was "naked".

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I use the Caudabe Shell and love it. Seems to be pretty popular on here, too. I've got the frost version which is great because you can barely tell it's on. But it's not like those clear back covers which get scratched up easily. Got mine for around $15 or so on Amazon.

I also had a skin from **********. It wasn't bad, but offered zero drop or bump protection. I'd rather have something on my iPad that protects against more than just scratches, being the klutz that I am.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I use the Caudabe Shell and love it. Seems to be pretty popular on here, too. I've got the frost version which is great because you can barely tell it's on. But it's not like those clear back covers which get scratched up easily. Got mine for around $15 or so on Amazon.

I also had a skin from **********. It wasn't bad, but offered zero drop or bump protection. I'd rather have something on my iPad that protects against more than just scratches, being the klutz that I am.

I'd totally get a Caudabe Shell for my mini if they made it. I have that for my ipad 3 and it's terrific. That said, I've gone naked on my mini for now other than a Smart Cover on the front. Feels nice, but not sure I like having to baby it so much.

spring

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2007
Bergen County, NJ
Just ordered a wrapsol back skin and a smart cover for my iPad. I didnt go for a back cover because I wanted to keep it slim since the iPad 4 is already pretty thick (compared to an iPad 2 that I previously had).

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I don't even think this is a debate. I've been able to recoup a ton of money by keeping my iOS devices in pristine condition and selling them a year later. Back covers are so thin and protect against inadvertent drops. I've also got the Caudabe Shell someone else mentioned and for $20 (or whatever it's priced these days), seems like a small price to pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.