Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
I know this question probably has been answered numerous times but I wanted to get a definite answer. My upgrade is next year and I have unlimited data on Verizon and I wanted to know if I can buy the 64GB iPhone 5 full price (I know the price for it) without contract extension from Apple or Verizon? Can I just walk in and purchase it from Apple or Verizon or do I need to order it? And which is the easier route going between the two?

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Well my contract currently is month to month but my upgrade isn't available until January but I don't want to lose my unlimited data.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Well my contract currently is month to month but my upgrade isn't available until January but I don't want to lose my unlimited data.

What I meant is new contract of 2 years or month to month or use ypur eligible upgrade which will terminated your unlimited data plan! Verizon and AT&T are pushing hard on grandfathered unlimited data plan to switch to a tier data plan.

I think best way is to buy it from an Apple store where the employee will be cluess about the new Verizon/Sprint policy not selling at full price.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
So your telling me in order for me to be able to purchase a full price Verizon iPhone 5 I will need to sign a new month to month plan which will terminate my existing plan?

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
What I meant is new contract of 2 years or month to month or use ypur eligible upgrade which will terminated your unlimited data plan! Verizon and AT&T are pushing hard on grandfathered unlimited data plan to switch to a tier data plan.

I think best way is to buy it from an Apple store where the employee will be cluess about the new Verizon/Sprint policy not selling at full price.

This. I'm on a corporate plan with unlimited everything, but I used to have grandfathered unlimited data and this would be the way to go.

I bought mine full retail from Apple no questions asked.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
This. I'm on a corporate plan with unlimited everything, but I used to have grandfathered unlimited data and this would be the way to go.

I bought mine full retail from Apple no questions asked.

So what's the proper way about going it? I just walk into the Apple Store and ask I would like to purchase a full price iPhone 5? Aren't they going to ask for my Verizon account information?

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
So what's the proper way about going it? I just walk into the Apple Store and ask I would like to purchase a full price iPhone 5? Aren't they going to ask for my Verizon account information?

It's pretty easy. Just tell them which device you'd like for Verizon and then when you checkout tell them you're paying full retail.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
So your telling me in order for me to be able to purchase a full price Verizon iPhone 5 I will need to sign a new month to month plan which will terminate my existing plan?

Yeap pretty much!

Best way is going to an Apple store tell them you wanted an upgrade, but changed your mind and would like to get it at full retail price! Do the reserve next day pick up. The Apple employee will cancel your upgrade! This is the best way to get one and beat kinda the verizon policy system! Lol

----------

It's pretty easy. Just tell them which device you'd like for Verizon and then when you checkout tell them you're paying full retail.

Yes that would work if they did not have the new policy that Apple or verizon/Sprint stores cannot sell device only unless you sign up a new contract of 2 years, month to month or at upgrade price!

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011

If you're under contract an upgrade is pointless if you're paying full price. Taking the upgrade forces you into a tiered data plan and a new contract. No real need to wait. In which case you're just switching devices on the existing plan and you're not forced to renew. Your grandfathered data plan remains if you buy an unsubsidized phone. That said, you have to do it by phone or in person, the web site will automatically put you in a tiered plan with a contract.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Yes that would work if they did not have the new policy that Apple or verizon/Sprint stores cannot sell device only unless you sign up a new contract of 2 years, month to month or at upgrade price!

When did this come about? I bought my 5 launch weekend and didn't have any issues.. Of course this was before you had the whole reservation process, but damn lol

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
You should be fine, if you buy through the :apple: store and pay full price. They aren't in the business of making changes to your plan. I'm actually thinking of doing this too. I have no desire to drop my unlimited data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.