Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:32 AM   #1
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Could we all just call a 'mini' truce?

Some people bought the mini and love it dearly, some aren't satisfied with the screen or internals, and others are for whatever reason waiting for next year's model.

Different strokes for different folks, right? People have different expectations, use cases, preferences, needs and eyes.

Instead of bashing each other as 'trolls', 'apologists', 'haters' and 'fanboys', can't we all just get along? Maybe just respect each other's choices?

Depending on where you buy it, there's a minimum 14 day return period if it's not your cup of tea. And we can all probably agree that at least a marginally improved version will be released sometime next year?

The debate was fun at first, but the never ending vitriol on this forum is getting old. What say, truce?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:33 AM   #2
madsci954
macrumors 68000

Someone seems to forget we are on the Internet
madsci954 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:36 AM   #3
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci954 View Post
Someone seems to forget we are on the Internet
Yeah, I'm reminded of the Red vs. Blue PSA on the Internet comparing it to giving a 4th grade classroom a bunch of meth and guns.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:44 AM   #4
urkel
macrumors 68020

Actually, the reason most arguments extend far beyond what's necessary to get a point across is because of the inability of one side to concede that a complaint is valid by making up excuses.

In this case, we have been sold (by Apple) on the idea that all products without retina are inferior. So to suddenly have people flip flop and declare "retina isn't that important" only causes more problems because they are now denying by he very gospel they've been preaching.

Last edited by urkel; Nov 9, 2012 at 07:50 AM.
urkel is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:44 AM   #5
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
Some people bought the mini and love it dearly, some aren't satisfied with the screen or internals, and others are for whatever reason waiting for next year's model.

Different strokes for different folks, right? People have different expectations, use cases, preferences, needs and eyes.

Instead of bashing each other as 'trolls', 'apologists', 'haters' and 'fanboys', can't we all just get along? Maybe just respect each other's choices?

Depending on where you buy it, there's a minimum 14 day return period if it's not your cup of tea. And we can all probably agree that at least a marginally improved version will be released sometime next year?

The debate was fun at first, but the never ending vitriol on this forum is getting old. What say, truce?
It's the attitude one espouses when one expresses his/her opinions that implies, or sometimes more often, directly states that people who don't share that particular opinion are morons, idiots, fanbois, iSheep, blind Apple followers, etc. etc. etc. That's offensive, and those people can keep their opinions to themselves - they are not superior, just offensive.
WilliamLondon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:47 AM   #6
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
It's the attitude one espouses when one expresses his/her opinions that implies, or sometimes more often, directly states that people who don't share that particular opinion are morons, idiots, fanbois, iSheep, blind Apple followers, etc. etc. etc. That's offensive, and those people can keep their opinions to themselves - they are not superior, just offensive.
There is a saying that I've framed and put up in a wall of my office: "90% of all our problems in life are created or solved by our tone of voice."
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:18 AM   #7
urkel
macrumors 68020

Quote:
There is a saying that I've framed and put up in a wall of my office: "90% of all our problems in life are created or solved by our tone of voice."
Great saying, and thats a fantastic reminder to have in an office. But to add to it, I also feel that most arguments wouldn't exist if people were better at simply walking away.

Lets be honest here, The superiority of Retina vs Non-Retina isnt an argument, its a statement and its one created by Apple that is only made worse by the fact that Apple did nothing to optimize their 9.7" experience to a 7.9" screen. So what exactly is there to argue? People emotional response to a legitimate problem?

Last edited by urkel; Nov 9, 2012 at 09:58 AM.
urkel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:46 AM   #8
aka777
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
Actually, the reason most arguments extend far beyond what's necessary to get a point across is because of the inability of one side to concede that a complaint is valid by making up excuses.

In this case, we have been sold (by Apple) on the idea that all products without retina are inferior. So to suddenly have people flip flop and declare "retina isn't that important" only causes more problems because they are now denying by he very gospel they've been preaching.
Preach

----------

Quote:
The problem is that most people do not let the facts guide their opinions, they allow their opinions to cherry-pick the facts. People confuse their opinions and gut-feelings for facts, when the two are not the same.

Then you also have the age old problem of folks who run on ideology. Therefore, no matter what the evidence is, can never be convinced otherwise.

It's no different to what goes on on a larger scale around the world.
aka777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:07 AM   #9
3gbuff
macrumors member

I have an Ipad 3 and a Nexus 7. I dont care what people say, both are terrific.
3gbuff is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:25 AM   #10
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, I'm reminded of the Red vs. Blue PSA on the Internet comparing it to giving a 4th grade classroom a bunch of meth and guns.
hehe i loved that one.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life."
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:47 AM   #11
Deasnutz
macrumors regular

................No.
Deasnutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:53 AM   #12
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Is there some place that I could find this?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka777 View Post
It's no different to what goes on on a larger scale around the world.
^^^^^This.

Go to any other forum on the Internet and you will find the exact same type of behavior.

People haven't changed, it's just that the Internet gives everyone a much larger audience.
Breaking Good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:02 AM   #13
costabunny
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to costabunny
Quote:

according to some religions there was this guy once who had similar wishes; he ended up nailed to a tree. (and that was before the internet so I am thinking its gonna a whole bunch harder nowadays).....

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
costabunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:17 AM   #14
Powrie
macrumors 6502

I just think of the iPad mini as a first gen iPad.

And I know that soon they will update 2nd gen mini to have retina screen.

Then apple will have two options to sell to us.

Just like they have for the iPad.

One with a Retina Display and one with a regular Display that is cheaper.

Like how they still sell the 2nd gen iPad as well as the now 4th gen.

The min is great for kids this year.
Powrie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:43 AM   #15
mcdj
Banned

Posts that call for a truce only add to the silly concept that there's even a war.
mcdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:45 AM   #16
racer1441
macrumors 68000

Quote:
That's why I also carry a baseball bat.

For the most part, your point is ok. issue comes up with wrong information passed off as fact. Those people need publicly mocked.
racer1441 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:02 PM   #17
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
Posts that call for a truce only add to the silly concept that there's even a war.
There's another truce post? And it's not a war, but never ending skirmishes.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Good View Post
Is there some place that I could find this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqvHdSvUu4k
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:03 PM   #18
johndallas999
Banned

Quote:

LOL. Did you really just post this?
johndallas999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:05 PM   #19
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallas999 View Post
LOL. Did you really just post this?
Yeah. Pointless, I know.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:14 PM   #20
Awakener
macrumors 6502

Before we go all "kumbaya" ask if all we really want from forums are dry technical reports. People drive forums, people are emotional.
Awakener is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:29 PM   #21
reputationZed
macrumors 65816

"I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired."
- Monty Python

Something's never change
reputationZed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:15 PM   #22
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by reputationZed View Post
"I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired."
- Monty Python

Something's never change
But I'm neither ordinary NOR decent!

You get extra points for the python quote, though.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad