Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:32 AM   #1
clyde2801
macrumors 601
 
clyde2801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In the land of no hills and red dirt.
Could we all just call a 'mini' truce?

Some people bought the mini and love it dearly, some aren't satisfied with the screen or internals, and others are for whatever reason waiting for next year's model.

Different strokes for different folks, right? People have different expectations, use cases, preferences, needs and eyes.

Instead of bashing each other as 'trolls', 'apologists', 'haters' and 'fanboys', can't we all just get along? Maybe just respect each other's choices?

Depending on where you buy it, there's a minimum 14 day return period if it's not your cup of tea. And we can all probably agree that at least a marginally improved version will be released sometime next year?

The debate was fun at first, but the never ending vitriol on this forum is getting old. What say, truce?
__________________
I've found that the sanest question I can ask myself is 'Am I going crazy?' --Jack Robbins
2012 base 15" rMBP, 2012 base 11" MBA, late 2011 2.4 i7 17" MBP, 16 gb ram, Crucial M4 512gb SSD
clyde2801 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:33 AM   #2
madsci954
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Someone seems to forget we are on the Internet
madsci954 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:36 AM   #3
clyde2801
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
clyde2801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In the land of no hills and red dirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci954 View Post
Someone seems to forget we are on the Internet
Yeah, I'm reminded of the Red vs. Blue PSA on the Internet comparing it to giving a 4th grade classroom a bunch of meth and guns.
__________________
I've found that the sanest question I can ask myself is 'Am I going crazy?' --Jack Robbins
2012 base 15" rMBP, 2012 base 11" MBA, late 2011 2.4 i7 17" MBP, 16 gb ram, Crucial M4 512gb SSD
clyde2801 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:44 AM   #4
urkel
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Actually, the reason most arguments extend far beyond what's necessary to get a point across is because of the inability of one side to concede that a complaint is valid by making up excuses.

In this case, we have been sold (by Apple) on the idea that all products without retina are inferior. So to suddenly have people flip flop and declare "retina isn't that important" only causes more problems because they are now denying by he very gospel they've been preaching.

Last edited by urkel; Nov 9, 2012 at 07:50 AM.
urkel is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:44 AM   #5
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000
 
WilliamLondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
Some people bought the mini and love it dearly, some aren't satisfied with the screen or internals, and others are for whatever reason waiting for next year's model.

Different strokes for different folks, right? People have different expectations, use cases, preferences, needs and eyes.

Instead of bashing each other as 'trolls', 'apologists', 'haters' and 'fanboys', can't we all just get along? Maybe just respect each other's choices?

Depending on where you buy it, there's a minimum 14 day return period if it's not your cup of tea. And we can all probably agree that at least a marginally improved version will be released sometime next year?

The debate was fun at first, but the never ending vitriol on this forum is getting old. What say, truce?
It's the attitude one espouses when one expresses his/her opinions that implies, or sometimes more often, directly states that people who don't share that particular opinion are morons, idiots, fanbois, iSheep, blind Apple followers, etc. etc. etc. That's offensive, and those people can keep their opinions to themselves - they are not superior, just offensive.
WilliamLondon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:47 AM   #6
clyde2801
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
clyde2801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In the land of no hills and red dirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
It's the attitude one espouses when one expresses his/her opinions that implies, or sometimes more often, directly states that people who don't share that particular opinion are morons, idiots, fanbois, iSheep, blind Apple followers, etc. etc. etc. That's offensive, and those people can keep their opinions to themselves - they are not superior, just offensive.
There is a saying that I've framed and put up in a wall of my office: "90% of all our problems in life are created or solved by our tone of voice."
__________________
I've found that the sanest question I can ask myself is 'Am I going crazy?' --Jack Robbins
2012 base 15" rMBP, 2012 base 11" MBA, late 2011 2.4 i7 17" MBP, 16 gb ram, Crucial M4 512gb SSD
clyde2801 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:18 AM   #7
urkel
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
There is a saying that I've framed and put up in a wall of my office: "90% of all our problems in life are created or solved by our tone of voice."
Great saying, and thats a fantastic reminder to have in an office. But to add to it, I also feel that most arguments wouldn't exist if people were better at simply walking away.

Lets be honest here, The superiority of Retina vs Non-Retina isnt an argument, its a statement and its one created by Apple that is only made worse by the fact that Apple did nothing to optimize their 9.7" experience to a 7.9" screen. So what exactly is there to argue? People emotional response to a legitimate problem?

Last edited by urkel; Nov 9, 2012 at 09:58 AM.
urkel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:46 AM   #8
aka777
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
Actually, the reason most arguments extend far beyond what's necessary to get a point across is because of the inability of one side to concede that a complaint is valid by making up excuses.

In this case, we have been sold (by Apple) on the idea that all products without retina are inferior. So to suddenly have people flip flop and declare "retina isn't that important" only causes more problems because they are now denying by he very gospel they've been preaching.
Preach

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
Instead of bashing each other as 'trolls', 'apologists', 'haters' and 'fanboys', can't we all just get along? Maybe just respect each other's choices?
The problem is that most people do not let the facts guide their opinions, they allow their opinions to cherry-pick the facts. People confuse their opinions and gut-feelings for facts, when the two are not the same.

Then you also have the age old problem of folks who run on ideology. Therefore, no matter what the evidence is, can never be convinced otherwise.

It's no different to what goes on on a larger scale around the world.
aka777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:07 AM   #9
3gbuff
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I have an Ipad 3 and a Nexus 7. I dont care what people say, both are terrific.
3gbuff is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:25 AM   #10
BFizzzle
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
Yeah, I'm reminded of the Red vs. Blue PSA on the Internet comparing it to giving a 4th grade classroom a bunch of meth and guns.
hehe i loved that one.


"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life."
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:47 AM   #11
Deasnutz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
................No.
Deasnutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:53 AM   #12
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
Yeah, I'm reminded of the Red vs. Blue PSA on the Internet comparing it to giving a 4th grade classroom a bunch of meth and guns.
Is there some place that I could find this?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka777 View Post
It's no different to what goes on on a larger scale around the world.
^^^^^This.

Go to any other forum on the Internet and you will find the exact same type of behavior.

People haven't changed, it's just that the Internet gives everyone a much larger audience.
Breaking Good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:02 AM   #13
costabunny
macrumors 68000
 
costabunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: ~/
Send a message via Skype™ to costabunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post

Instead of bashing each other as 'trolls', 'apologists', 'haters' and 'fanboys', can't we all just get along? Maybe just respect each other's choices?
according to some religions there was this guy once who had similar wishes; he ended up nailed to a tree. (and that was before the internet so I am thinking its gonna a whole bunch harder nowadays).....
__________________
Bunny has an iPhone 5C, a PC, and a MacBook Pro retina

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
costabunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:17 AM   #14
Powrie
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I just think of the iPad mini as a first gen iPad.

And I know that soon they will update 2nd gen mini to have retina screen.

Then apple will have two options to sell to us.


Just like they have for the iPad.

One with a Retina Display and one with a regular Display that is cheaper.

Like how they still sell the 2nd gen iPad as well as the now 4th gen.



The min is great for kids this year.
Powrie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:43 AM   #15
mcdj
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts that call for a truce only add to the silly concept that there's even a war.
mcdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:45 AM   #16
racer1441
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
There is a saying that I've framed and put up in a wall of my office: "90% of all our problems in life are created or solved by our tone of voice."
That's why I also carry a baseball bat.

For the most part, your point is ok. issue comes up with wrong information passed off as fact. Those people need publicly mocked.
racer1441 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:02 PM   #17
clyde2801
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
clyde2801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In the land of no hills and red dirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
Posts that call for a truce only add to the silly concept that there's even a war.
There's another truce post? And it's not a war, but never ending skirmishes.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Good View Post
Is there some place that I could find this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqvHdSvUu4k
__________________
I've found that the sanest question I can ask myself is 'Am I going crazy?' --Jack Robbins
2012 base 15" rMBP, 2012 base 11" MBA, late 2011 2.4 i7 17" MBP, 16 gb ram, Crucial M4 512gb SSD
clyde2801 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:03 PM   #18
johndallas999
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
Some people bought the mini and love it dearly, some aren't satisfied with the screen or internals, and others are for whatever reason waiting for next year's model.

Different strokes for different folks, right? People have different expectations, use cases, preferences, needs and eyes.

Instead of bashing each other as 'trolls', 'apologists', 'haters' and 'fanboys', can't we all just get along? Maybe just respect each other's choices?

Depending on where you buy it, there's a minimum 14 day return period if it's not your cup of tea. And we can all probably agree that at least a marginally improved version will be released sometime next year?

The debate was fun at first, but the never ending vitriol on this forum is getting old. What say, truce?
LOL. Did you really just post this?
johndallas999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:05 PM   #19
clyde2801
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
clyde2801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In the land of no hills and red dirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallas999 View Post
LOL. Did you really just post this?
Yeah. Pointless, I know.
__________________
I've found that the sanest question I can ask myself is 'Am I going crazy?' --Jack Robbins
2012 base 15" rMBP, 2012 base 11" MBA, late 2011 2.4 i7 17" MBP, 16 gb ram, Crucial M4 512gb SSD
clyde2801 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:14 PM   #20
Awakener
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Before we go all "kumbaya" ask if all we really want from forums are dry technical reports. People drive forums, people are emotional.
Awakener is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:29 PM   #21
reputationZed
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 34°55′42″N 80°44′41″W (34.928201, -80.744835)
"I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired."
- Monty Python

Something's never change
reputationZed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:15 PM   #22
clyde2801
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
clyde2801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In the land of no hills and red dirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reputationZed View Post
"I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired."
- Monty Python

Something's never change
But I'm neither ordinary NOR decent!

You get extra points for the python quote, though.
__________________
I've found that the sanest question I can ask myself is 'Am I going crazy?' --Jack Robbins
2012 base 15" rMBP, 2012 base 11" MBA, late 2011 2.4 i7 17" MBP, 16 gb ram, Crucial M4 512gb SSD
clyde2801 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Call of Mini fans here? 'Dino Hunter' has arrived (Video attached) Lloydbm41 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 0 Feb 19, 2014 10:01 PM
I got a phone call from Apple about a bug report, has anyone else received a call? adcx64 iOS 7 6 Jul 23, 2013 03:07 PM
Anybody plays Call of Mini: Zombies? BiscottiGelato iPhone and iPod touch Apps 3 Oct 24, 2012 01:48 AM
Call of Mini: Zombies Sylon Mac and PC Games 0 Aug 2, 2012 08:49 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC