Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Original poster
Some people bought the mini and love it dearly, some aren't satisfied with the screen or internals, and others are for whatever reason waiting for next year's model.

Different strokes for different folks, right? People have different expectations, use cases, preferences, needs and eyes.

Instead of bashing each other as 'trolls', 'apologists', 'haters' and 'fanboys', can't we all just get along? Maybe just respect each other's choices?

Depending on where you buy it, there's a minimum 14 day return period if it's not your cup of tea. And we can all probably agree that at least a marginally improved version will be released sometime next year?

The debate was fun at first, but the never ending vitriol on this forum is getting old. What say, truce?:p

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Actually, the reason most arguments extend far beyond what's necessary to get a point across is because of the inability of one side to concede that a complaint is valid by making up excuses.

In this case, we have been sold (by Apple) on the idea that all products without retina are inferior. So to suddenly have people flip flop and declare "retina isn't that important" only causes more problems because they are now denying by he very gospel they've been preaching.

Last edited:

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Some people bought the mini and love it dearly, some aren't satisfied with the screen or internals, and others are for whatever reason waiting for next year's model.

Different strokes for different folks, right? People have different expectations, use cases, preferences, needs and eyes.

Instead of bashing each other as 'trolls', 'apologists', 'haters' and 'fanboys', can't we all just get along? Maybe just respect each other's choices?

Depending on where you buy it, there's a minimum 14 day return period if it's not your cup of tea. And we can all probably agree that at least a marginally improved version will be released sometime next year?

The debate was fun at first, but the never ending vitriol on this forum is getting old. What say, truce?:p

It's the attitude one espouses when one expresses his/her opinions that implies, or sometimes more often, directly states that people who don't share that particular opinion are morons, idiots, fanbois, iSheep, blind Apple followers, etc. etc. etc. That's offensive, and those people can keep their opinions to themselves - they are not superior, just offensive.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Original poster
It's the attitude one espouses when one expresses his/her opinions that implies, or sometimes more often, directly states that people who don't share that particular opinion are morons, idiots, fanbois, iSheep, blind Apple followers, etc. etc. etc. That's offensive, and those people can keep their opinions to themselves - they are not superior, just offensive.

There is a saying that I've framed and put up in a wall of my office: "90% of all our problems in life are created or solved by our tone of voice."

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
There is a saying that I've framed and put up in a wall of my office: "90% of all our problems in life are created or solved by our tone of voice."
Great saying, and thats a fantastic reminder to have in an office. But to add to it, I also feel that most arguments wouldn't exist if people were better at simply walking away.

Lets be honest here, The superiority of Retina vs Non-Retina isnt an argument, its a statement and its one created by Apple that is only made worse by the fact that Apple did nothing to optimize their 9.7" experience to a 7.9" screen. So what exactly is there to argue? People emotional response to a legitimate problem?

Last edited:

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Actually, the reason most arguments extend far beyond what's necessary to get a point across is because of the inability of one side to concede that a complaint is valid by making up excuses.

In this case, we have been sold (by Apple) on the idea that all products without retina are inferior. So to suddenly have people flip flop and declare "retina isn't that important" only causes more problems because they are now denying by he very gospel they've been preaching.

Preach

----------

The problem is that most people do not let the facts guide their opinions, they allow their opinions to cherry-pick the facts. People confuse their opinions and gut-feelings for facts, when the two are not the same.

Then you also have the age old problem of folks who run on ideology. Therefore, no matter what the evidence is, can never be convinced otherwise.

It's no different to what goes on on a larger scale around the world.

3gbuff

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2009
I have an Ipad 3 and a Nexus 7. I dont care what people say, both are terrific.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Yeah, I'm reminded of the Red vs. Blue PSA on the Internet comparing it to giving a 4th grade classroom a bunch of meth and guns.:eek:

hehe i loved that one.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life."

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Yeah, I'm reminded of the Red vs. Blue PSA on the Internet comparing it to giving a 4th grade classroom a bunch of meth and guns.:eek:

Is there some place that I could find this?

----------

It's no different to what goes on on a larger scale around the world.

^^^^^This.

Go to any other forum on the Internet and you will find the exact same type of behavior.

People haven't changed, it's just that the Internet gives everyone a much larger audience.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK

according to some religions there was this guy once who had similar wishes; he ended up nailed to a tree. (and that was before the internet so I am thinking its gonna a whole bunch harder nowadays).....

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
I just think of the iPad mini as a first gen iPad.

And I know that soon they will update 2nd gen mini to have retina screen.

Then apple will have two options to sell to us.

Just like they have for the iPad.

One with a Retina Display and one with a regular Display that is cheaper.

Like how they still sell the 2nd gen iPad as well as the now 4th gen.

The min is great for kids this year.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Posts that call for a truce only add to the silly concept that there's even a war.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009

That's why I also carry a baseball bat.

For the most part, your point is ok. issue comes up with wrong information passed off as fact. Those people need publicly mocked.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle

LOL. Did you really just post this?

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Before we go all "kumbaya" ask if all we really want from forums are dry technical reports. People drive forums, people are emotional.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.