Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9to5Mac shares an email sent to Apple employees by CEO Tim Cook announcing that the company has donated $2.5 million to the American Red Cross in support of Hurricane Sandy relief efforts.
Team:

For the past week, our thoughts have been with those affected by Hurricane Sandy and its aftermath. And Apple employees and customers the world over have raised millions of dollars toward the relief effort so far. But we can always do more.

That's why, on behalf of all our employees, Apple is making a donation of $2.5 million to the American Red Cross to benefit Hurricane Sandy relief. We hope this contribution will help families, businesses, and communities recover and rebuild.

Tim Cook
November 8, 2012
apple_hurricane_sandy_donation.jpg
Apple's own donation comes in addition to its program facilitating donations from iTunes Store users. Under that program, users can donate by simply clicking a button in the iTunes Store, with the amount of the donation being charged to the credit card on file for their account. Apple is not taking a cut of those donations, passing 100% of the amount along to the American Red Cross.

Article Link: Apple Donates $2.5 Million to American Red Cross for Hurricane Sandy Relief

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
I salute you, Tim. Nice to hear someone with a heart is in the driver's seat.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
this is like me or you giving a beggar a few pennies, id have been impressed if it had 2.5 Billion with a B..

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I'm curious what all those people who eviscerated Apple in the thread about the iTunes donations will have to say now? So quick to blame without facts...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Shame the money didnt go to a much more deserving causes.

Such as? Not to say there isn't but you have people displaced now because of a natural disaster; how is it not money well spent?

I'm curious what all those people who eviscerated Apple in the thread about the iTunes donations will have to say now? So quick to blame without facts...

Apple did the iTunes donate thing for Katrina I think. Who cares what people say but it is not "quick to blame" when the donation system was opened well before this donation came to be.

macthetiger85

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
this is like me or you giving a beggar a few pennies, id have been impressed if it had 2.5 Billion with a B..

I think for a long time Apple didnt give much. Now they're doubling their employee's gifts. Facilitating customers' donations, probably eating the credit card fees and donate 2.5 million. It'll never be enough will it. Had they given 2.5B people would have said. Ahh too much. Take this positive story as it is. There's a need. People are giving. Apple joins them.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Apple did the iTunes donate thing for Katrina I think. Who cares what people say but it is not "quick to blame" when the donation system was opened well before this donation came to be.

They did it for Katrina and they did it for Sandy. And people were quick to say Apple wasn't doing anything special in both cases. And they were wrong.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I knew someone would have to complain about it. What cause could be more important than helping your fellow citizen in time of great need?

Exactly. I'd rather give money to someone displaced like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

shawnth

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Too little too late. For a company with this market cap apple still pales to others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.